Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2014, 18:39   #151

Boat: Westerly Pentland 31ft
Re: S-63 plug-in for OpenCPN

Hi,
Is there, in the future, a chance for a version of OCPNsenc for armhf? I'm running openCPN on a A20 and would love to be able to use the S-63 plugin.
It compiles fine btw and I can enable the plugin but without OCPNsenc it is a no go.
The A20 has a unique serial code programmed into it's core.
Cheers,

Jelbert
Jelbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2014, 00:59   #152
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelbert View Post
Hi,
Is there, in the future, a chance for a version of OCPNsenc for armhf? I'm running openCPN on a A20 and would love to be able to use the S-63 plugin.
It compiles fine btw and I can enable the plugin but without OCPNsenc it is a no go.
The A20 has a unique serial code programmed into it's core.
Cheers,

Jelbert
A chance, yes.....

But first we have to cross-compile for ARM. In the case of OpenCPN everybody can do this but due to the closed caracter of the plug-in either Dave or we have to do this job. And we would have to develop the fingerprint process for the devices as well as the one used for Linux might perhaps not be adequate....
Question: is there a generic ARM target, or would it be necesarry to look for families/platforms? (--> ARMhf, ARMel)

Anyhow: we are in still in adevelopment phase and the point is not forgotten. I admit it's a pitty as there are very active developers for the ARM based platforms.

Another aspect: the ARM platforms are very often used as "development toys", testing and trying out a bunch of things. As you will have to buy the S-63 charts keep in mind that modifying your system might invalidate the charts. We are trying to keep the identification robust but "moving targets" are difficult to aim at......

Hubert
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2014, 07:24   #153

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn View Post
A chance, yes.....

But first we have to cross-compile for ARM. In the case of OpenCPN everybody can do this but due to the closed caracter of the plug-in either Dave or we have to do this job. And we would have to develop the fingerprint process for the devices as well as the one used for Linux might perhaps not be adequate....
Question: is there a generic ARM target, or would it be necesarry to look for families/platforms? (--> ARMhf, ARMel)

Anyhow: we are in still in adevelopment phase and the point is not forgotten. I admit it's a pitty as there are very active developers for the ARM based platforms.

Another aspect: the ARM platforms are very often used as "development toys", testing and trying out a bunch of things. As you will have to buy the S-63 charts keep in mind that modifying your system might invalidate the charts. We are trying to keep the identification robust but "moving targets" are difficult to aim at......

Hubert
For the question of generating a fingerprint. I have send an email to AllWinner, they make the A.. soc CPU's, to ask them if they have code to do this.
A less faforable way to do this is to use a dongle, they cost about $20 a piece. But it also takes a usb port. But it can be moved to an other systen if it brakes down.
The navionics memory cards have an unique serial number inside. The map on the card is probably encrypted to this number which makes the card unable to be copied. The memory used for the embedded systems these days is SDHC in the "Physical Layer Simplified Specification" it is said:
Quote:
5.2 CID register
The Card IDentification (CID) register is 128 bits wide. It contains the card identification information used during the card identification phase. Every individual Read/Write (RW) card shall have a unique identification number. The structure of the CID register is defined in the following paragraphs:
So if we can acces that we have an unique serial number for locking the map and if you upgrade to a different cpu you can use the SD(HC) card on this different system.
Here is a way to access the CID on andriod.
Here documentation about the linux kernel and accessing the CID. I did not find ready made code however

Jelbert
Old 21-01-2014, 10:10   #154
bcn

The A20-OlinuXino is looking interesting for a boats computer project.
Nice sensor modules as well and I2C ready. I would prefer a different GPS from the one Olimex is offering, but that's just theory.
BTW.: does it have a buffered RTC? Didn't find any mention in the docs.

We discarted harddongle solutions as SD cards or USB sticks for the simple reason that it is not viable to send those worldwide. Here in Europe that might still be ok but send it to Trindad. Or Vanatu...

When we talk about fingerprint solutions for ARMs that should cover the whole range, not just the Allwinner processors. What we can't do is to have a different project for every flavour of ARM.
ARM will be already the 5th architecture (and 6th if we distinguish between the ARMhf and ARMel stuff).
Old 21-01-2014, 12:26   #155

Yes I use an Olimex A20. It has no RTC and there is an external module posible. Now I use NTP for the time. There is also a way to use the GPS time. I found the sources for that already. What I have not yet figured out is if this will occupy the gps and if it can still be shared with OpenCPN.
The A20 including a 4 port usb serial converter and an old gps dongle uses 3.6W if it is very busy.
I did try to get SDR running on it with a gui but that became too slow or too unstable. So for now I ditched that idea.

Sending an SD card to Trinidad would not be needed. If the person there has a fingerprint software where he can readout the 32bit serial number. That number can be send to the seller of the maps to encode them to that number.
Ok the hole in that is that I could emulate a SD card with some external piece of software. And generate any serial I want. Or use an fpga. But if I want to put so much effort in breaking it nothing will stop me.
Would using the MAC address be an idea?
Combine the ARM CPUID with the ID of the SD card or MAC address. That would make a unique number for that system.
I did not find a generic way of getting a unique serial from ARM.
Oh boy devising software protection that goes against everyting I stand for. Some day I will hate my self for this...
Old 21-01-2014, 13:00   #156

Boat: Phantom 19

Jelbert...
Off-topic here, but anyway - Have a look at Synchronizing ntpd to a Garmin GPS 18 LVC via gpsd - You can connect NTP to GPSd, so no problems with possible race conditions.

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2014, 13:51   #157
bcn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelbert View Post
Oh boy devising software protection that goes against everyting I stand for. Some day I will hate my self for this...
Welcome to the club

Perhaps it's a different stage where the DRM/IP issues have to be wrangled...
Let's keep on with our fun here
Old 21-01-2014, 17:42   #158

Did anyone make a working plugin for OS X?
I have been on it all night and can't get it to work.
First it stopped at wxWidgets so I compiled that one from source.
Now it hangs on gettext and got that one from gnu.org and compiled it for os x. But still no go.
Here is the output from cmake ../

Quote:
Emrys:build jelbertholtrop$ cmake ../
-- *** Building s63_pi ***
-- Found OpenGL...
-- Lib: /System/Library/Frameworks/AGL.framework/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework
-- Include: /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework
CMake Error at /Applications/CMake 2.8-12.app/Contents/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:108 (message):
Could NOT find Gettext (missing: GETTEXT_MSGMERGE_EXECUTABLE
GETTEXT_MSGFMT_EXECUTABLE)
Call Stack (most recent call first):
/Applications/CMake 2.8-12.app/Contents/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:315 (_FPHSA_FAILURE_MESSAGE)
/Applications/CMake 2.8-12.app/Contents/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/FindGettext.cmake:58 (FIND_PACKAGE_HANDLE_STANDARD_ARGS)
CMakeLists.txt:103 (FIND_PACKAGE)

-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
See also "/Users/jelbertholtrop/Downloads/OpenCPN/s63_pi-master/buildosx/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log".
Emrys:build jelbertholtrop$
If anyone did build it maybe you can send me your compiled plugin
Old 21-01-2014, 17:48   #159
Marine Service Provider

jelbert....

Did you try the OSX PlugIn from o-charts ?

If so, what was your experience with it?

We can look at the build errors separately. You need the closed source OCPsenc executable, anyway, and this is part of the o-charts download.

Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2014, 04:31   #160

bdbcat...

Wauw that is a relief a precompiled plugin! I was trying to build it from your git.
So I opened the folder of OpenCPN and copied the two files to OpenCPN.app/Contents/Plugins
Started OpenCPN enabled te plugin. Go to charts->S63 Charts->New User Permit.
Paste the permit from the mail. Test.
And the this:

If I navigate to that position (It is very hard to read where that is) I find the plugins and OCPNsenc but no result on the fingerprinting.
What am I doing wrong?

Jelbert
Old 22-01-2014, 06:43   #161
bcn

Jelbert,

here ok with OS_X 10.9...
And we had no crash reports from other OS-X users neither.

If you clean-up and start a second time from scratch?

Hubert
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Captura de pantalla 2014-01-22 a la(s) 15.52.11.png
Views:	145
Size:	230.4 KB
ID:	74442  
Old 22-01-2014, 06:52   #162

Boat: Amel Sharki

Jelbert,
get the OCPN OS X version 3.3.1303 from opencpn.org
get the s63 plugin for OS X from o-charts.org
make a new folder called s63_pi in Contents/Plugins
copy libs63_pi.dylib and OCPNsenc to Contents/Plugins/s63_pi/

Gerhard
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2014, 16:27   #163

Hi CarCode,

Thank you that works. It crashes later on and I can not send a crash report to bcn because I'm a new member and it is way to long and contains text looking like urls.

bcn...

Did I send you enough or do you want the rest of the crash report too? And how do I get it to you is this system does not trust me yet?

Cheers,

Jelbert
Old 23-01-2014, 00:46   #164
bcn

Hi Jelbert,

received your crash report - thanks.
Will have to wait for the next step release.

The good think is that you got the plug-in working with the S-64 userpermit.

Hubert
Old 23-01-2014, 01:38   #165

Boat: Everything that has a sail and more

On a Mac:

Some people (like me) copy the content from the s63_pi directory to the
/Applications/OpenCPN/Content/Plugins/

This will result in to a non functioning plugin!

You need to copy the s63_pi directory (unzipped) with content to

/Applications/OpenCPN/Content/Plugins/

Then it works ;-)
jeroenimo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, opencpn, plug