Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2014, 02:48   #1

S-63 Official Vector Charts now Available

As Dave has announced already we are now ready to use official S-63 vector charts from OpenCPN.

System requirements are OpenCPN 3.3.1606 and S-63 PI 0.5.0

At o-charts.org, our gateway for the S-63 material, you find the plug-in and some documentation as well. The documentation is available in several languages.

To purchase charts you will need a S-63 UserPermit. This is available paying a charge at the o-charts.org shop.
(the fare includes the Spanish VAT - 21%. This consumer tax is applicable to consumers from the EU. Users from abroad or holder of a valid VAT-ID for intra comunitarian operations are excempt).

At the shop you generate as well the InstallPermit for your individual install. The small program which gathers the required information for your system, the fingerprints, you find at the download part of o-charts.org
In this moment - the shop is still beta as well - we will have to generate the InstallPermit manually. So please be pacient - we will not be available 24/24. We found yesterday going live that the shop software behaved different than tested locally. Well, beta...

Charts you can buy at ChartWorld using your OpenCPN UserPermit.
You will get two zip-file where the first contains the cell permits (the PERMIT.txt file) and the second the actual charts (in the ENC_ROOT folder).
OpenCPN will guide you through the install process (settings/charts/vector charts).

Waiting for your feedback - we sailed already last week with up-to-date charts for our region.

Renate
o-charts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2014, 13:52   #2
oem

Boat: Vindø 995 ds
Re: S-63 Official vector charts now available

Quote:
Originally Posted by o-charts View Post
As Dave has announced already we are now ready to use official S-63 vector charts from OpenCPN.

Charts you can buy at ChartWorld using your OpenCPN UserPermit.

Waiting for your feedback - we sailed already last week with up-to-date charts for our region.

Renate
How are corrections, e.g. notices to mariners etc, handled in S57 (S63)?

According to the S57 documentation, - 8. Updates (http://www.iho.int/iho_pubs/standard...3.1/31Main.pdf) it's possible to communicate isolated changes in S57-format. That is if you initially buy a subscription for a chart, then subsequent changes to the chart can be communicated as isolated changes to individual elements, - position of buoys, changes to coastlines etc.

According to the documentation those corrections has to be 'updated' in the local copy of that chart, since re-transmission of the whole chart should not happen.

The subscription period, e.g. 6 months, on a chart from Chartworld should guarantee that a chart is always up to date.

Is that all handled by OpenCPN? So that corrections to a chart automatically are updated in the local chart catalogue?

I'm sorry, - it's just a silly question, - to be sure that 'up to date'/'official' charts really means 'up to date', - including the latest notices to mariners.
oem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2014, 14:12   #3

oem:
during the licence period you will receive each week a mail with a notice for updates of your charts.

There is no difference to a SOLAS vessel.

You also can access your ftp account at the VARs (e.g. Chartworld) website and look for updates whenever you want and install those. OCPN handles this then like an update of the chart data base.

With respect to NTMs: update to charts are covered for sure. Havn't seen stuff like "military operations in the region from/to up to 28th of April" or similar.

Renate
Old 28-04-2014, 08:25   #4

Boat: Gib'Sea 402

Renate

On the "S-63 plug-in explained" page is the following -

Q: On how many PCs can I use my S-63 charts at the same time?
A: The standard states one machine – but in practice up to 5 installs are tolerated.

How is this achieved? Do I have to apply for up to five InstallPermits through o-charts? But then will the chart sets from Chartworld work on all five PCs, or do I need to download a separate set for each installation/InstallPermit?

Many thanks to Dave, yourself and the others for such a major milestone for using OpenCPN worldwide.
hoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 09:27   #5
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Hoolie, with the five copies that's a funny thing and we shall see how this works in the future.

We never got an official statement on this but know about others that do the same in the day by day: PolarNavy for example and I stumbled over something like that in some minutes of some subcommittee as well.
As these are our first steps in this field we shall see in the future what we can do and what not.

With the instrument of the InstallPermits we are quite flexible and we believe this is good for the practical part.

And yes, once you have a UserPermit you can generate your InstallPermit with the fingerprint of your PC at the o-charts.org "shop".
Just log in, you will see the InstallPermits you have created already and you can generate a new one.
Or one for your back-up PC. Or that Windows PC you had to re-install because of a can of worms....
You will have to install the charts sets or updates in each of the machines with the UserPermit and the InstallPermit in place in order to generate the chart data base.
The data cannot be portable. Forbidden...

(I'm putting "shop" here in quotation marks as we already have been thrown out of a Spanish forum that concluded that shop means stinky business when we tried to announce that the plug-in now works).

The o-charts.org site is right now just in English and we will have to do something about this in the future. But step by step....

Hubert
bcn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 12:29   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by o-charts View Post
In this moment - the shop is still beta as well - we will have to generate the InstallPermit manually. So please be pacient - we will not be available 24/24. We found yesterday going live that the shop software behaved different than tested locally. Well, beta...
That's ok now, you should see your InstallPermit immediately.

Quote:
...The o-charts.org site is right now just in English...
Well, that's just the main page.
If you want to put your address while registering, in the moment, the country selection will come in Spanish. You will find United States as EE.UU. (Estados Unidos, letters doubled for plural).
The shop software is from a French community project, pre-installed from the Spanish hoster, and then ...

So we will have a lot of fun with the languages for a while...

Take it easy, we try as well.

Renate
Old 29-04-2014, 00:27   #7

This plugin is great news!

I have one question though. The FAQ at o-charts.org says:

Quote:
Q: My temporary license will time out. What will happen?
A: The chart will not disappear, but there will be a warning displayed.
Does this warning make the chart unusable, or will I still be able to use it?
hindsholm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2014, 00:37   #8
bcn

Hindsholm,

these are official charts so thinking in safety terms (we are 300m container vessel):
the company has forgotten to pay the license - now the screen goes black...

No, after expiring of the license period you will just not get updates anymore.
And we should warn, that the chart material is outdated.

So if you license charts for 3 months - the least expensive option - you will have updates for this period and after that a bad conscious.... and charts.

Hubert
Old 29-04-2014, 01:39   #9

Boat: Amel Sharki

Hubert,

I guess it will be needed to make a more detailled description at o-charts.org to avoid more and more questions like that.
I have same questions here from the german community because this stuff is new for the average user. It will be nice also to have a step by step advice how to get s63 charts and this also for all platforms like Windows, Linux or Mac. A HowTo with pictures will say more than words perhaps. Please don't forget the average sailor is not always an expert in computers nor does he know anything about all the strange ways of chart licenses.

Gerhard
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2014, 01:48   #10
bcn

Gerhard,

we are thinking about this. Gilletarom has proposed already something similar from his experience from French users.

Though in order not to make the same work three times I want a stable situation.
Perhaps we can start soon.
What would you propose for OS-X as a screen recorder like "Wink", which exists for Win and Linux only?

Hubert
Old 29-04-2014, 01:59   #11

Boat: Amel Sharki

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn View Post
What would you propose for OS-X as a screen recorder like "Wink", which exists for Win and Linux only?
Hubert,

you may use the buildin tools of Mac OS X (attachment, see Settings/Keyboard) or a more powerful tool like snagit. To make video streams of the desktop screen you can also use Quicktime which is also part of Mac OS X.

Gerhard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scrreenshots.png
Views:	329
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	80238  
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 04:28   #12

Boat: Jeanneau Sunshine 36
Re: S-63 Official Vector Charts now Available

As the demo S63 charts display fine, I have attempted to install a few charts from Chartworld for the kick of it, but have failed.
Now, using what little Spanish I have, I managed to get a user permit (may I suggest you rapidly translate (at least part of) the shop section into English if you want to attract customers!)
I also managed to get the install permit, figuring out what on earth I had to download (mentioning an .fpr file would help)
I navigated successfuly with much going back and forward the Chartworld login and buying process, and got a few charts.
Now, getting those charts into Opencpn
1 - What on earth is the IHO.PUB ? No such certificate is present in the download. Is it built in the plugin ? Please explain...
2 - The user permit I got from o-charts checks OK
3 - But the install from o-charts permit does not (see pics)
Help is thus required...

----
Added
Trying to import the IHO.CRT in place of the IHO.PUB yields a format error
(see pic)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Image002.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	80444   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image001.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	80445  

Name:	Image003.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	80446   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image004.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	80447  

sailorF54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 06:39   #13
bcn

Hi - all learning I feel....

It is very important that all the remains of former installs are completely removed.

First: Language in the shop - in upper right corner there is a selection (EN, ES, CA, FR, DE) - some parts are already translated. We are working on this.

The certificate: the IHO.PUB comes with the install of the plug-in and should be visible at the keys/permit tab.
In case it has been got erased for some reason, it should be in the ProgramData/Opencpn folder. Anyhow, you find it attached in case (remove .doc).

From ChartWorld you are getting two zip-files (red square in the screenshot) which expand into the rest of the files from the screenshot.
The only two we should need are:
- The PERMIT.TXT (for Import Cell Permits) and
- ENC_ROOT (the entire folder) for ImportCharts/Updates
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2014-05-03 15_17_16-C__ProgramData_opencpn_s63_s63_certificates.png
Views:	309
Size:	5.5 KB
ID:	80452   Click image for larger version

Name:	S63KeysPermits.png
Views:	411
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	80453  

Name:	Downloaded_Charts.png
Views:	360
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	80454  
Attached Files
File Type: doc IHO.PUB.doc (578 Bytes, 95 views)
Old 03-05-2014, 07:29   #14

Boat: Jeanneau Sunshine 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn View Post
Hi - all learning I feel....

It is very important that all the remains of former installs are completely removed.

First: Language in the shop - in upper right corner there is a selection (EN, ES, CA, FR, DE) - some parts are already translated. We are working on this.

The certificate: the IHO.PUB comes with the install of the plug-in and should be visible at the keys/permit tab.
In case it has been got erased for some reason, it should be in the ProgramData/Opencpn folder. Anyhow, you find it attached in case (remove .doc).

From ChartWorld you are getting two zip-files (red square in the screenshot) which expand into the rest of the files from the screenshot.
The only two we should need are:
- The PERMIT.TXT (for Import Cell Permits) and
- ENC_ROOT (the entire folder) for ImportCharts/Updates
Thanks for pointing at the language menu I had missed, but it still doesn't work: the install permit is still said to be invalid
- Deleted the plugin and the former S63 folder in ProgramData (W 7)
- Reinstalled the plugin
- The UserPermit is fine (checks OK)
- But the generated install permit (generated (several times) on o-chart from the .fpr file) is said to be invalid when entered in OpenCpn (see pic)
This is probably why I cannot access the charts using Permit.txt (see pic)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Image003.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	80458   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image001.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	80459  

sailorF54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:43   #15
bcn

Will try a new install here on a Win7 PC.
Questions: in the old versions, did you just erase the folders or did you run "unistall 0.4.0" ?

Tags
charts