Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2017, 06:40   #1
SFS

Running OpenCPN on an Android Tablet

Hi all. I use OpenCPN on my Windows laptop at home for planning purposes. We have just bought a 10" tablet (our first) and have downloaded the COMPUTER version of OpenCPN onto the tablet. Charts are being read fine, and it may be usable as it is.

My question: What is the difference between the version I have loaded and the APP that I can buy from the Playstore? I have no issue with spending the $10, if for no other reason than supporting the developer, but I am assuming there are advantages to the App over the computer program. What are those? Reliability on the platform? Better use of storage memory and RAM? Touchscreen functionality?

I have recrafted the above paragraph several times, and still am not sure if I've asked the question well, so feel free to answer at length.

Secondary question: we've not yet confirmed that the internal GPS works in the Tablet (we are doing that in a few moments). If it does not, I will use a GPS dongle I already own. Is the use of a GPS dongle going to be easier with the Android App version, or the computer version?
SFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 07:02   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Running OpenCPN on an Android Tablet

SFS...

If you are running the standard OpenCPN on the tablet, then we assume it is a Windows tablet.
If so, it will not run the Android version at all. Android tablets use a different operating system, and usually a different CPU architecture.

More info, please.

Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 10:42   #3
SFS

Dave, thanks for the response. I chose some poor terminology with the word "computer", and I apologize. This is definitely an Android Tablet running the version before nougat which I guess is marshmallow. (If I need to check that I can.) What we have downloaded is the free version for Android. So my question becomes: what will I get that's bigger, better, faster, or whatever when I upgrade to the $10 paid version? What are the differences between the to versions

BTW, the GPS function works fine (tested only with Google maps - I need to load a local chart and drive across the GICW to test OpenCPN). I do not anticipate a problem with that.
Old 04-12-2017, 12:44   #4

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

SFS,
We have Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 with GPS and use the paid version and the GPS works fine. The paid version is well worth it, because you get all the updates and it is more reliable and the menus and controls are better, IMHO.

I found the unpaid a bit problematical because it is based on earlier code and not as user friendly, but some have found it fine. The paid version has its own dedicated forum which provides answers to android users. Android questions should be asked there so it helps all android users!
rgleason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 12:56   #5
SFS

rgleason, that is a big help. I am aware of the other forum, and will use it moving forward. I would love to hear from anyone else that has made this decision (between the free and paid versions).
Old 10-12-2017, 13:38   #6

Boat: 10.50 mètres

Hello SFS,
Quote:
rgleason, that is a big help. I am aware of the other forum, and will use it moving forward. I would love to hear from anyone else that has made this decision (between the free and paid versions).
There is no comparison between the two versions! The free version is an old beta version that has never evolved.
The paid version has already been the subject of many updates. Many bugs have been fixed. And she is able to do a lot of things that the free version does not know how to do. For example, display Grib files after the downloaded credits directly. This paid version is now much better suited for use on small screens, even them a simple smartphone.
I can say it, since I used this version installed on my smartphone this summer.

I do not know which region you are sailing in, probably in USA, but if Europe, be aware that the paid version also allows to display vector charts, from the S57 maps of several European countries, in OpenCPN's oesSENC format .

Gilletarom.
Gilletarom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 14:57   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFS View Post
Dave, thanks for the response. I chose some poor terminology with the word "computer", and I apologize. This is definitely an Android Tablet running the version before nougat which I guess is marshmallow. (If I need to check that I can.) What we have downloaded is the free version for Android. So my question becomes: what will I get that's bigger, better, faster, or whatever when I upgrade to the $10 paid version? What are the differences between the to versions

BTW, the GPS function works fine (tested only with Google maps - I need to load a local chart and drive across the GICW to test OpenCPN). I do not anticipate a problem with that.
It's unlikely that you will have a problem with the GPS, but not certain.
See http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-a-192539.html for a problem I encountered.

Bottom line - just because GPS based "location services" work, doesn't mean that apps such as OpenCPN that rely on NMEA translation of locations will. It may be worth while installing the "GPS NMEA" app and checking before paying for OpenCPN.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 15:55   #8

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

A bit puzzled, as apparently are other posters too. I assume by "COMPUTER version" that you mean Windows version. That wont run on Android, so a big puzzled what you are running.

Anyway, the paid version for Android s good for all the reasons posted. Only down side is that you dont get all the plug ins available for the Windows version.

Im running it on a Samsung S3 just fine.

Only downside (regardless of version or whether Windows are Android) is limited availability of Caribbean charts, but chart availability options appear to be improving.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 20:27   #9

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Bottom line - just because GPS based "location services" work, doesn't mean that apps such as OpenCPN that rely on NMEA translation of locations will. It may be worth while installing the "GPS NMEA" app and checking before paying for OpenCPN.
Yes Stu that would be a good check to see if the particular Device can produce a good serial nmea0183 data stream that OpenCPN can use. Perhaps that suggestion could be inserted somewhere in the beginning.

It can be put in the user doc wiki, but that might not be seen.

1. Download GPS Nmea and test it. (If it doesn't work, plan for an external GPS maybe.)
2. Then get OpenCPN when you do get a good nmea0183 data stream working.

It might eliminate some struggles.
rgleason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 20:41   #10
SFS

Thanks to all who responded. I purchased the paid version, and am quite pleased. Moved the charts from my computer via thumbdrive, and O read them immediately. I put the tablet in the car with O up and running, and the tablet's GPS tracked us on the chart (we live near the water). Also successfully exported a route from the Window computer and imported it onto the tablet.

On a semi-related note: after purchasing the app, Google let me know of their "Family Library" program, which apparently lets me share any app I have with up to 5 family members or friends. Haven't investigated it yet, but this should mean I can at least put the paid version of O on both my android phone and my wife's, without paying again. This will offer triple redundancy (assuming there is memory for the charts).
Old 11-12-2017, 01:35   #11

Boat: 10.50 mètres

One thing I think I understood: OA, ie OpenCPN for Androïd, works correctly from version 4.4.2 of Androïd.
Gilletarom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, opencpn