Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2011, 14:27   #1

Running Open CPN On a Tablet with Android 3.2 Operating System

Is it possible to run Open CPN Chartplotter on a tablet with Android 3.2 Operating System and 1 GB DDR2 SDRAM?

I currently run Open CPN off of a normal laptop, but am looking at getting a tablet as a back-up. I am not a computer whiz and am wondering if this is possible or not.

If possible, how would I do it to maximize the speed of the tablet? Have the Open CPN program and CM93 charts loaded onto an external flashdrive?

Thank you very much.
gatogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2011, 19:14   #2
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Re: Running Open CPN on a tablet with Android 3.2 Operating System

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatogo View Post
Is it possible to run Open CPN Chartplotter on a tablet with Android 3.2 Operating System and 1 GB DDR2 SDRAM?

I currently run Open CPN off of a normal laptop, but am looking at getting a tablet as a back-up. I am not a computer whiz and am wondering if this is possible or not.

If possible, how would I do it to maximize the speed of the tablet? Have the Open CPN program and CM93 charts loaded onto an external flashdrive?

Thank you very much.
The OpenCPN forum is here:
==> OpenCPN - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

There have been numerous requests and at least two threads on this subject. Feel free to browse them for the details.

The upshot is this:
Android would require a huge rewrite. Most often reason cited is the lack of support for WX Widgets. At this point, it is basically a non-starter. Not gonna happen.

What I'd be looking at is that some of the Android tablet manufacturers are selling the tablets unlocked and able to load some varieties of Linux. That, to me is the best opportunity to get OpenCPN on on a tablet.

But the flavors of Linux they mention do not include Ubunto or the popular desktop versions, that is, the versions that currently OpenCPN has a build for.

But, go to the above forum and look around. Then feel free to post questions or suggestions.

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2011, 13:19   #3

Boat: Gib'Sea 402
Re: Running Open CPN On a Tablet with Android 3.2 Operating System

Why not buy a Windows 7 tablet - there's quite a few out there. Might cost a bit more but at least it'll be compatible with Open CPN
hoolie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
open cpn