Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2017, 06:17   #31

Boat: WD Shock Santana 30
pirate Re: rPI3 + openplotter -> is it a viable solution?

Ok guys. I think I'm ready to jump into the project. What I have in mind: openplotter running on a PI3. Would like to add sensors (temp, barometric pressure, humidity, propane, CO2) and use it as well to have a watch alarm (buzzer that sounds every X minute to wake me up and I need to reset it with a switch or it keep buzzing).

I'm currently looking at buying:
- Pi3
- Adafruit 9-DOF (for pitch, inside temp of the boat and magnetic compass)
- Adafruit Ultimate GPS Breakout
- MCP3008 (to hook the RPM of the engine)
- breadboard to prototype the whole thing
- DS18B20 for temp monitoring of my fridge
- permaboard for when the thing works.
- the brightness screen possible since I'll be using this outside (any suggestions? looking for something around 10")
- keyboard with touch pad

Will hook to the system in the future : small ssd drive to store all the charts and keep the logs. Possibly a second screen to act as a repeater inside the boat for chart and instruments. NMEA to USB adaptors to interface with the boat wind & depth sensors. Interface with the radar and the AIS transponder. Probably all that connected to a small USB hub so I isolate things a bit.

Now. Questions:

- I'm I missing something? (to connect or a breakout board or something? Is there something missing in my shopping list?)
- Will the PI be able to power the whole thing or I need to add an extra power source on the breadboard? I'm totally new to electronic (the coding aspect should be OK, it's more the hardware side of the project that I'm worried about).
- Is there a risk for my to fry the whole thing? If so, any nice tuto you guys know about?
- Also, since this will be powered by the boat battery, is there a breakout board somewhere that would allow my to monitor the voltage of the boat battery and I'm somebody shut the main switch off, back-off on a small embed lithium battery and initiate a shutdown of the PI? (kind of a small UPS?)
- Is there a need for my to add a battery clock breakout board to keep the date and time (once on the boat, the whole thing won't have access to internet anymore) or the GPS board will do it?

I know some of you already went through most of that. Any tip would be appreciated. I have some good (although very rusty) experience to code the whole thing so I'm not too worried (so far) about that part. It's mostly the hardware I'm unsure of right now. Any help / input or bit of advice would be appreciated.

Thanks guys
sam
svsputnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2017, 03:54   #32

Re: rPI3 + openplotter -> is it a viable solution?

Bought most of the component. Still looking out for a cheap display. Gonna right a few blog post about the project. If anyone is interested, let me know
Old 18-03-2017, 04:05   #33
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsputnik View Post
Bought most of the component. Still looking out for a cheap display. Gonna right a few blog post about the project. If anyone is interested, let me know
Any info about how you are getting on would be very interesting, ta.

Also, check out the openplotter forum, so good info on there ->
OpenMarine - OpenPlotter

From your last post..

Quote:
- Will the PI be able to power the whole thing or I need to add an extra power source on the breadboard?
A powered usb hub is probably best and power everything off that, the Pi likes good power. 12v - USB or a adjustable buck converter are available off ebay.

Quote:
- Is there a risk for my to fry the whole thing? If so, any nice tuto you guys know about?
A resettable fuse would be a good idea.

Quote:
- Also, since this will be powered by the boat battery, is there a breakout board somewhere that would allow my to monitor the voltage of the boat battery and I'm somebody shut the main switch off, back-off on a small embed lithium battery and initiate a shutdown of the PI? (kind of a small UPS?)
https://www.adafruit.com/product/1085 - very accurate 4 channel ADC. Openplotter already has support of this and another 8 channel chip built in.

Quote:
- Is there a need for my to add a battery clock breakout board to keep the date and time (once on the boat, the whole thing won't have access to internet anymore) or the GPS board will do it?
Openplotter updates from GPS each time you turn it on.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2017, 05:12   #34

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Write the whole thing up with photos. We ll add it to
The Supplementary Hardware page in the wiki.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2017, 06:09   #35

Boat: 2002 Jeanneau 40 DS

I'd be very interested in your writeup, too. I'm in the process of adding the iKommunicate box in my boat, and will be running that to an rPI as well.
tce001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 07:30   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
Any info about how you are getting on would be very interesting, ta.

Also, check out the openplotter forum, so good info on there ->
OpenMarine - OpenPlotter

From your last post..

A powered usb hub is probably best and power everything off that, the Pi likes good power. 12v - USB or a adjustable buck converter are available off ebay.

A resettable fuse would be a good idea.

https://www.adafruit.com/product/1085 - very accurate 4 channel ADC. Openplotter already has support of this and another 8 channel chip built in.

Openplotter updates from GPS each time you turn it on.
Yup; I tried to join the openplotter forum but I've never got the confirmation email. I shame since I'm guessing the community there could be of a great help for me.

Regarder the ADC, I bought the MCP3008 chip for 3$. It supposed to be supported by openplotter as well. I'm hoping to interface my engine RPM sensor with it. Not too sure yet on how to bring that data on a nice display. There's a guy at work who talked to me about node-RED. I need to look into that (so much to learn!)

For the UPS, I've found this that seems really nice: https://www.modmypi.com/raspberry-pi...dules/ups-pico
I like the fact that I can use it to monitor power consumption of the PI as well. The new version is releasing in May, so if my experiment as successful, I'll probably order it.

Regarding the fuse; do you have / know where I can find a schematic. Pretty new to electronic and fuses.

Thanks
Old 20-03-2017, 07:31   #37

Yes! I'll do multiple write up about the whole thing. I'm also in the process of setting up our website. We should launch it in a few days. I'll do blog post there about my progress. I'll post the link as soon as I have something!
Old 20-03-2017, 08:18   #38

Boat: Dehler Optima 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by tce001 View Post
I'd be very interested in your writeup, too. I'm in the process of adding the iKommunicate box in my boat, and will be running that to an rPI as well.
What is the advantage of the iKommunicate box over the VYacht router (vyacht.org)?
stefan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 08:29   #39

Boat: 42' Heritage East Nova Sundeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsputnik View Post
I was on another thread on this forum and someone recommended these people. From China, but prices are $335-$365 for IP65 touchscreen in 12" or 15".
https://shinhoet.en.alibaba.com/prod...367.0.0.BKGchP
mcgann454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2017, 23:30   #40

Just a thought on LCD panels that meet requirements (IP65, NIT>1000, touch)

What about these two?

https://szbestview.en.alibaba.com/pr...367.0.0.BdUSqI

Or

https://szbestview.en.alibaba.com/pr...367.0.0.BdUSqI

Although the secondary screen might be a bit large at 15"
LandonL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 07:15   #41
Marine Service Provider

Some thoughts:

1. I recommend strongly that you use capacitive touch screens. Resistive touch panels are notoriously inaccurate, especially in high temperature environments. They also are not really very transparent, degrading over time. But they are lower cost....

2. 1000 NIT displays will get hot in continuous operation. Not good for extended lifespan. Take this into account in mounting with a sunshade, if possible.

Good Luck
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote