Ok guys. I think I'm ready to jump into the project
. What I have in mind: openplotter running on a PI3. Would like to add sensors (temp, barometric pressure, humidity, propane
, CO2) and use it as well to have a watch alarm
(buzzer that sounds every X minute to wake me up and I need to reset it with a switch or it keep buzzing).
I'm currently looking at buying
- Adafruit 9-DOF (for pitch
, inside temp of the boat
and magnetic compass)
- Adafruit Ultimate GPS
- MCP3008 (to hook the RPM
of the engine)
- breadboard to prototype the whole thing
- DS18B20 for temp monitoring of my fridge
- permaboard for when the thing works.
- the brightness screen
possible since I'll be using this outside (any suggestions? looking for something around 10")
- keyboard with touch pad
Will hook to the system in the future : small ssd drive to store all the charts
and keep the logs
. Possibly a second screen
to act as a repeater inside the boat
for chart and instruments. NMEA
to USB adaptors to interface with the boat wind
sensors. Interface with the radar
and the AIS
transponder. Probably all that connected to a small USB hub so I isolate things a bit.
- I'm I missing something? (to connect or a breakout board or something? Is there something missing in my shopping
- Will the PI be able to power the whole thing or I need to add an extra power source on the breadboard? I'm totally new to electronic (the coding aspect should be OK, it's more the hardware
side of the project
that I'm worried about).
- Is there a risk for my to fry the whole thing? If so, any nice tuto you guys know about?
- Also, since this will be powered by the boat battery
, is there a breakout board somewhere that would allow my to monitor
the voltage of the boat battery
and I'm somebody shut the main switch off, back-off on a small embed lithium battery and initiate a shutdown of the PI? (kind of a small UPS?)
- Is there a need for my to add a battery clock breakout board to keep the date and time (once on the boat, the whole thing won't have access to internet
anymore) or the GPS
board will do it?
I know some of you already went through most of that. Any tip would be appreciated. I have some good (although very rusty) experience to code the whole thing so I'm not too worried (so far) about that part. It's mostly the hardware
I'm unsure of right now. Any help / input or bit of advice would be appreciated.