Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2017, 08:10   #16

Boat: Alubat, OVNI 47
Re: rPI3 + openplotter -> is it a viable solution?

Quote:
Originally Posted by verkerkbr View Post
Where did you purchase yours? What source (preferably with a link). The cost for those units are at least US$640 in the USA. Alibaba offers them for US$285, but has a 5 piece minimum order.
Old 07-03-2017, 08:34   #17

Boat: Halmatic 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccannan View Post
Where did you purchase yours? What source (preferably with a link). The cost for those units are at least US$640 in the USA. Alibaba offers them for US$285, but has a 5 piece minimum order.
Ordered mine in Germany:

Mini-ITX

They have these in stock. Reliable seller.

Faytech is a German Comp. but the monitors are made in China.

Bram
verkerkbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 08:41   #18

Boat: IslandPacket Packet Cat 35

I am using an e-ink tablet in the cockpit and a fire tablet under the Bimini. They both run openCPN and get node red, signalK or NMEA data streamed from a Pi3 below. All inexpensive. I've been running an older Pi for a few years in this setup. The e-ink display gets rid of daylight viewing issues. Some hassels but does work fairly well.
ramalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 08:50   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramalkin View Post
I am using an e-ink tablet in the cockpit and a fire tablet under the Bimini. They both run openCPN and get node red, signalK or NMEA data streamed from a Pi3 below. All inexpensive. I've been running an older Pi for a few years in this setup. The e-ink display gets rid of daylight viewing issues. Some hassels but does work fairly well.
Please share maker, model, source, cost and energy consumption info.
Old 07-03-2017, 09:51   #20

I am using a Boox for the e-ink display. I believe it is the C67ML. You need to side load most apps, like OpenCPN, NMEA Display and some do not run (like DragQueen). But, it has the big advantage of being easily read in bright sunlight, better, in fact, the brighter the sun. The Fire is a standard Kindle Fire. They had a sale for $35. Again, most things need to be side loaded. The color display is nice but the brighter the sun, the harder the display is to read. Both run SignalK and Node-Red for instrument panel (dashboard).
Old 07-03-2017, 17:38   #21

Hi Ramalkin,
Cool, I think.
So, are you running OCPN on an RPI3 below and running VNC on your Boox and Fire to access the RPI3 via wifi - or maybe bluetooth?
Or, are you running (hopefully Dave's) Android OCPN natively on your Boox and Fire, and they are being fed, via wifi, whatever NMEA info the RPI3 has going through it?
--Bob M (Ox)
bobmor99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 07:16   #22

Boat: Moody 44

IMHO OpenCPN/Openplotter on RPi is a viable front line chart plotter solution
I have been running one for over a year on my boat and Im delighted with the setup. (I also have a small chartplotter and of course paper charts - just in case)

If you want a plug and play solution - forget it but if you enjoy a certain amount of systems integration work then its hard to beat.

I have OPv0.8 running OCPN on an RPI at the Nav station

My Pi uses the integrated Kplex to multiplex and integrate NMEA streams to and from GPS, AIS, Autopilot and all my other Seatalk instruments
I monitor engine temperatures and water pump failure
I also monitor fuel, water and black tank levels

I have a ruggedised tablet in the cockpit running VNC.
That way the cockpit repeater is not running isolated from the main nav computer so no need to sync waypoints, routes etc.

I am bench testing v0.9 which opens up a whole new (and exiting) world of SignalK and NodeRed based instrumentation.

As I said if you want to simply open the box and plug it in buy a chartplotter but OP offers all the functionality you need at a fraction of the cost.

BTW for anyone looking to assemble their own daylight viewable monitor - there is someone selling 1000nit 10.4" LCD panels on ebay for around £20 here Durapixel Litemax 10.4 inch TFT LCD, LED Backlight 800nits,XGA, DLF1055-ENN-A01 | eBay
affinite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 07:39   #23

I am running OpenCPN on the android tablets. I also run DragQueen and NKE Display (a NMEA display app) native on the android tablets. They are both linked to the RPi3 via WiFi (the RPi3 is an access point-WiFiAP) to receive the NMEA0183 stream (I think UDP). I have not tried the bluetooth link. The SignalK and the Node-Red dashboard are served from the RPi3 through WiFi to the browser on the tablet. I can't remember which browser I am using but I have tried a few on the tablets and I have not noticed a difference for Node-Red or SignalK.

I do have VNC on my laptop (tightVNC) and the tablets (VNC Viewer) but I don't use that very much. Mostly, if I want to tweak some settings or update the NodeRed Dashboard.
Old 13-03-2017, 17:17   #24

Boat: 42' Heritage East Nova Sundeck

I have been reviewing threads on monitors for openplotter on my fly bridge.
Prices for LCD screens for sunlight readable monitors are crazy expensive.
I stumbled across monitors used by drone hobbiests for first person view (FPV) flying.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Seems like a good option for not a lot of money. Can anyone poke holes in the specs?
Thanks
mcgann454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 18:35   #25

Direct sunlight viewable monitors have brightness of >800nits (cd/Sq m). The greater the brightness (>1000nit) the better, however, remember greater brightness equals higher power consumption.
Old 13-03-2017, 19:51   #26

Direct sunlight viewable monitors have a brightness capability of >800 nits (cd/Sq m). The greater the better (normally >1000nits)(greater brightness equals higher power consumption).
Old 13-03-2017, 20:32   #27

Boat: Grand Banks 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarCode View Post
The Amel Maramu is a very solid boat. Why do you want to spoil that with a do-it-yourself solution? Better buy something from a well known manufacturer which also can be repaired in any port of the world.
====

I'm in agreement with that sentiment, at least for your primary navigation device in the cockpit. For that instrument you want rock solid, waterproof reliability, a high visibility daylight display, global service and support, and full integration between chart plotter, radar and depth sounder.

I like laptops and OpenCPN as much as anyone, and run OpenCPN constantly at the helm for backup and trip logging. I also use OpenCPN for next day route planning and it is excellent at that. However, even using ruggedized laptops and updated software it is not nearly as reliable and glitch free as my proprietary Furuno system. The Furuno is not cheap but it is the most reliable thing on the boat and has been for 13 years and 48,000 nautical miles of serious cruising. Your Amel Maramu deserves nothing less in my opinion.
wayne.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 06:03   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by affinite View Post
BTW for anyone looking to assemble their own daylight viewable monitor - there is someone selling 1000nit 10.4" LCD panels on ebay for around £20 here Durapixel Litemax 10.4 inch TFT LCD, LED Backlight 800nits,XGA, DLF1055-ENN-A01 | eBay
Unfortunately, he will not ship to the United States.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 06:05   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgann454 View Post
I stumbled across monitors used by drone hobbiests for first person view (FPV) flying.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Seems like a good option for not a lot of money. Can anyone poke holes in the specs?
500 NITS (cd/m^2) is not truly sunlight readable.

This is a good example of those who SAY that their screen is sunlight readable, when it is really only just sort of. 500 is not bad. Much better than the usual monitor. But you are going to have to shade it from direct sunlight to be able to read it. It will be comparable to most smart-phones, and we all know how those work in direct sunlight.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2017, 06:04   #30

Boat: WD Shock Santana 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne.b View Post
====

I'm in agreement with that sentiment, at least for your primary navigation device in the cockpit. For that instrument you want rock solid, waterproof reliability, a high visibility daylight display, global service and support, and full integration between chart plotter, radar and depth sounder.

I like laptops and OpenCPN as much as anyone, and run OpenCPN constantly at the helm for backup and trip logging. I also use OpenCPN for next day route planning and it is excellent at that. However, even using ruggedized laptops and updated software it is not nearly as reliable and glitch free as my proprietary Furuno system. The Furuno is not cheap but it is the most reliable thing on the boat and has been for 13 years and 48,000 nautical miles of serious cruising. Your Amel Maramu deserves nothing less in my opinion.
Hey Wayne

I understand the feeling. My previous experience though have been different; the chart plotter doesn't want to talk to the autopilot although the vendor told me it would work, it's getting harder and harder to get chart for the chart plotter and the only way to get an AIS working on that chartplotter would be the buy a specific model of AIS, that isn't for sale anymore. Oh, and if you zoom-in/out too quickly, the whole thing just freeze for a good 15 seconds. That chartplotter is 8 years old, so not the end of the world. I don't feel like being trap on a similar situation for the new boat...

I don't deny the many advantages of a dedicated unit. Just saying that it ain't that wonderful either.

A dedicated B&G chartplotter is over 3000$ right now. I'm under the impression I can get something that would be more flexible for less than 1000$. Less than 300$ if you remove the screen out of the equation (although it's a pretty big part of the equation!)

sam
svsputnik is offline   Reply With Quote