Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2017, 08:34   #1

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37' Catamaran
Rpi OpenCPN System - recommendations

I'm thinking of putting together an Rpi OpenCPN system and was wondering if anyone could comment or provide some pointers:
  1. Rpi3
  2. AIS receiver from dAISy
    Not sure which .. thinking the HAT for Pi as it has better integration than the USB - thoughts?
    - https://www.tindie.com/products/astu...-raspberry-pi/
    - https://www.tindie.com/products/astu...-ais-receiver/
  3. GPS Hat
    One which works with the Rpi3 and the dAIS HAT - any recommendations?

Then I'm looking for a sunlight readable display 5-9" -> any recommendations?

I'll be using a BT wireless keyboard/mouse (or possibly touch screen).
geoffr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 10:00   #2

Boat: 1989 Gozzard 36
Re: Rpi OpenCPN System - recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffr View Post
I'm thinking of putting together an Rpi OpenCPN system and was wondering if anyone could comment or provide some pointers:
  1. Rpi3

Not sure which .. thinking the HAT for Pi as it has better integration than the USB - thoughts?

3. GPS Hat

Ok, my path was similar. I went the USB gps puck route 304s4 has 6' of wire so I can put it out on deck (has mag mount).

For screen I used a USB powered 16" display and hung the PI off the back of it along with a 28000 cell phone battery charger. the Pi and whole rig run 24 hours with a charge so far. In port I use a OSMC card and a 128gb USB stick for music and video plus when near wifi it streams net flicks and such.

I use either a Logitech mouse keyed combo or a mini Bluetooth keyed touch pad depending on the use at the time

With OpenCPN the. Big screen helps a lot
dan104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 10:13   #3
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Download openplotter, all the hard work has been done for you Opencpn with all the plugins preloaded plus the openplotter software which makes setting up easy.

Sailing with free hardware | Sailoog

I use it on a pi 3 all the time, v8 might be a better starting point, v9 is still an alpha release.

Pi 3 is easily fast enough for day to day, vnc remote desktop works well on a tablet.

Not sure about about bt mouse/keyboard, I use USB with ais & GPS going in through USB serial converters but the daisy should work?
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 10:34   #4

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
Download openplotter, all the hard work has been done for you Opencpn with all the plugins preloaded plus the openplotter software which makes setting up easy.

Sailing with free hardware | Sailoog

I use it on a pi 3 all the time, v8 might be a better starting point, v9 is still an alpha release.

Pi 3 is easily fast enough for day to day, vnc remote desktop works well on a tablet.

Not sure about about bt mouse/keyboard, I use USB with ais & GPS going in through USB serial converters but the daisy should work?
How did you get around the AIS USB dongle power issue? are you using a USB hub with the AIS dongle?
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 10:39   #5

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffr View Post
  1. Rpi3
  3. GPS Hat

I've been looking at the dAISy HAT for a couple weeks. Would be interesting to see how that would work out on the Pi 3. I've been thinking the GPS Breakout board from Adafruit might be able to be connected to one of the dAISy HAT serial connections. If possible, then that could keep the USB ports free... aside from that, a GPS Puck type connected to USB should be just fine. Looking at the picture of the HAT on the Pi, I'm thinking it could all fit in a case. That would be nice too if it could.

Otherwise, I am looking at a transponder anyway for AIS so receive only would have limited use for me.

Good luck with the project. Hope it works out, which ever way you go.
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 10:47   #6
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
How did you get around the AIS USB dongle power issue? are you using a USB hub with the AIS dongle?
The ais is an external unit which feeds nmea through a usb/serial converter ( same as gps) but yes, there's a seperate powered USB hub, the Pi hasn't much power available for usb. The Pi 3 doesn't like low voltage either, I run mine about 5.2v through a variable dc buck converter, a few dollars off ebay.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 10:55   #7
Marine Service Provider

The dAISy hat is a excellent AIS receiver and is receiving more AIS targets than the USB dAISy when using the same antenna / position - checked over time reporting to marine Traffic. I'm running a raspberry PI with dAISy AIS hat who is reporting to Marinetraffic and according to marinetraffic area coverage statistic, this is one of the AIS stations with largest coverage in square kilometres in Norway - go to marinetraffic and search for "Fulehuk" ais station and see the stats- This means that the HAT has no less reception sensitivity than even the expensive high end receivers since there are many of these that is reporting to Marinetraffic from excellent positions, but the HAT, according to marinetraffic stats has better area coverage than most of them - if not all of them :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhapsody-NS27 View Post
I've been looking at the dAISy HAT for a couple weeks. Would be interesting to see how that would work out on the Pi 3. I've been thinking the GPS Breakout board from Adafruit might be able to be connected to one of the dAISy HAT serial connections. If possible, then that could keep the USB ports free... aside from that, a GPS Puck type connected to USB should be just fine. Looking at the picture of the HAT on the Pi, I'm thinking it could all fit in a case. That would be nice too if it could.

Otherwise, I am looking at a transponder anyway for AIS so receive only would have limited use for me.

Good luck with the project. Hope it works out, which ever way you go.
petter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 11:40   #8

While happy with the performance bump compared to the single-channel dAISy USB, I won't go as far as claim that the dAISy HAT beats out the higher end receivers. Let's take Petter's station as proof that location matters ;-)

About the questions raised above:

- Typically Raspberry Pi hats can't be stacked. A GPS hat that also uses serial to communicate with he Pi won't be compatible with the dAISy HAT, as only one peripheral can occupy the serial port of the Pi.
- One auxiliary serial port broken out on the dAISy HAT has the same pin-out as the Adafruit Ultimate GPS. The idea is to eventually support loop through data from a GPS module, but that's not implemented in the current firmware and still on my to-do list. The combination with a GPS puck on USB is probably the best solution right now.
- Regarding power supply: The dAISy HAT consumes less than 40mA. This should be manageable unless the RPi's power supply is already marginal.
astuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 11:59   #9
Marine Service Provider

I meant to say that the sensitivity of the ais HAT is excellent and does absolutely compare to high end receivers, Yes location matters, and a lot of the high end receivers is placed on excellent positions, but the stats does not show even a indication about that they has better sensitivity than the HAT. I have tested a Simrad class A, A 180 AIS and compared to the HAT and can not see any better reception on the A180 than the HAT when using the same antenna.
Quote:
Originally Posted by astuder View Post
While happy with the performance bump compared to the single-channel dAISy USB, I won't go as far as claim that the dAISy HAT beats out the higher end receivers. Let's take Petter's station as proof that location matters ;-)

- Typically Raspberry Pi hats can't be stacked. A GPS hat that also uses serial to communicate with he Pi won't be compatible with the dAISy HAT, as only one peripheral can occupy the serial port of the Pi.
- One auxiliary serial port broken out on the dAISy HAT has the same pin-out as the Adafruit Ultimate GPS. The idea is to eventually support loop through data from a GPS module, but that's not implemented in the current firmware and still on my to-do list. The combination with a GPS puck on USB is probably the best solution right now.
- Regarding power supply: The dAISy HAT consumes less than 40mA. This should be manageable unless the RPi's power supply is already marginal.
petter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 13:17   #10

Boat: 1989 Gozzard 36

In my case using a puck let's me put the receiver up on deck where I don't want to put a Pi. In my area I pick up 4 or 5 satellites on deck and 2 or 3 below decks. I have my screen/Pi/battery all mounted on a swing arm monitor mounting, which will bring the screen up to cockpit and back down to cabin for entertainment (and safety)
dan104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 16:07   #11

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Has anyone analyzed rtlsdr ais performance and compared it to other receivers?

Another thing to keep in mind is, even if performance is better... the rtlsdr ais with correct antenna is already good enough if it picks up targets within 5 miles it's enough to avoid them in most cases, so targets 60 miles away is not really helping me.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 18:47   #12

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by petter5 View Post
The dAISy hat is a excellent AIS receiver and is receiving more AIS targets than the USB dAISy when using the same antenna / position - checked over time reporting to marine Traffic. I'm running a raspberry PI with dAISy AIS hat who is reporting to Marinetraffic and according to marinetraffic area coverage statistic, this is one of the AIS stations with largest coverage in square kilometres in Norway - go to marinetraffic and search for "Fulehuk" ais station and see the stats- This means that the HAT has no less reception sensitivity than even the expensive high end receivers since there are many of these that is reporting to Marinetraffic from excellent positions, but the HAT, according to marinetraffic stats has better area coverage than most of them - if not all of them :-)
Thanks for the info. Nice getting first hand knowledge on it.

Quote:

So you're the maker? Looks like nice work. Would be cool to get the serial functional or even have GPS integrated. Nice that the HAT uses so little power too. I used the battery monitor on my boat to measure the draw my Pi-Zero uses, and came out to .2 volts.

Thanks for the info.
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2017, 06:02   #13

Boat: Jeanneau Sunfast 32

I have used an RPi setup for a few years and I'm very pleased with it. My current setup is:
12v-5v transformer (with voltage and current displays) in a locker
12v adjustable stabiliser in the same locker with voltage display
incoming data from :
- wind (nmea 0183)
- gps
- air temperature
- air pressure
- engine exhaust temperature
- Raymarine depth and speed via SeaTalk-nmea converter
- AIS
Matsutec GPS with AIS receive and transponder.
An RPi 2 set up as a multiplexer in a locker. Receives all the above data through serial-usb converters and through i2c on the GPIO pins. The multiplexer outputs on wifi and ethernet cable.
An RPi within an HDMIPI screen mounted on the chart table which receives all data through the ethernet cable from the multiplexer and sends route data back to the multiplexer for onward transmission to cockpit instruments (and autopilot).
wifi data can be read on a tablet or smartphone (Seawi)

The main benefit is very low power consumption.

Although I have to go below to read the chartplotter, waypoint information is available on my graphic repeater in the cockpit. I could also connect the autopilot but haven't done so yet.
StuartGunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2017, 08:06   #14

Boat: Westerly Fulmar 32

Im in the same boat though progress is slow because of other projects but I did find this display and was thinking about giving it a try...

I haven't done much research on it just googled waterproof display, it would need HDMI. I also thought about finding a display with a glass front and bonding a glass surround to it so that this could be made waterproof.

Good luck...

Pyle PLMRM71W (PLMRM71W) Marine Grade Water Proof IPX7 7'' LCD Wide-Screen Monitor with Anti-Glare Shield & Universal Stand - White at Onlinecarstereo.com
Steven UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2017, 13:51   #15

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37' Catamaran

Quote:

I see on the dAISy Hat there are 3 breakouts: Serial 2, Serial 1 and I2C which Rpi3 pins are they routed to?
Is there a schematic available for the board?

Any ideas when a pass through might be implemented?

(I really like the idea of "one" box for it all..)
geoffr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, men, opencpn