Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 27-07-2011, 13:36   #31

Boat: flatwater: QCC 700x 18' and Hobie Outback 12'1"|whitewater: Jackson AllStar 6'2" and WS Habitat74 8'
Re: Route on Polyconic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
If this bug had been entered into the tracker at the time, it would for sure have been fixed, prior to the release of 2.5 .
A forum is great for discussions, but not so good when it comes to tracking bugs.
Please use the tracker for all bugs: OpenCPN::Tracker All Projects: Tasklist
Thomas
I've been thinking of this as a chart bug, not a software one; mostly dismayed that NOAA hadn't updated the charts.

Anyway, I've been chatting about it with Dave on another thread, so he's aware of it. Is that not sufficient? Or do I need to add it into the tracker also?

Old 27-07-2011, 14:57   #32

These bugs existed since the middle of the 1930 and were not corrected with the Internatioanl Great Lakes Datum of 1955 (or later) and existed all over the St-Lawrence River and the Great Lakes area. It became more and more clear with the coming of Electronique charts that somethng had to be done. For instance, in some area, like the Welland Canal the position in DGPS were outside the Canal and so on. It was corrected with the making of Vector S57. You can still see it when checkng the routing laid out on some charts, they don't fit.
Regards
P_Dub

Old 27-07-2011, 15:21   #33

Boat: flatwater: QCC 700x 18' and Hobie Outback 12'1"|whitewater: Jackson AllStar 6'2" and WS Habitat74 8'

Bad news; the S-57 NOAA charts only cover US waters (I'll be in Canada). And Canada only distributes charts via third-party resellers.

So I guess I'm stuck with the ENC NOAA chart for this weekend.

That's kind of funny (or not) that the DGPS positions were OUTSIDE the Welland Canal.
(!)
Yikes.
Much more of a problem for a freighter than a kayak!
Old 13-12-2011, 07:59   #34

Boat: 29'

KTcanuck...fix thy charts: how to!
make a copy of your kap,rename it so you know you've played with it,and just type the skew in yourself...carefully as shown above,same number of decimal places with 0's if you like.You can even do this as a guess (a few times?)until you get it right per lat/long using the grid Opencpn provides in the toolkit..
then just drag the corrected file onto bsbfix.exe.

More exactly,how to do that,
1)Get a decent text editor (Notepad++ Portable is my fave nowadays)
2)get "bsbfix.exe"...it comes inside a library of gems called
libbsb-0.0.7
libbsb - read/write/convert BSB images | Free Science & Engineering software downloads at SourceForge.net

now,browse to and open the copied kap in it,carefully change the skew,save it, and then ,Just click,hold and drag your kap onto it-no command line needed-and it should now be a good chart....bsbfix isn't always needed - it's like vacuuming after sanding...
Old 13-12-2011, 08:26   #35

Thanks Happy'.

Question though: I noticed that the following parameter TA is also different. Since it appears to 90 degrees + SK I assume it is connected to the skew as well.

All I need now is to know whether the other charts in this locale use the same skew! I will inspect visually and then try them out tonight.
Old 13-12-2011, 09:02   #36

ktcanuck...
TA = text angle (would be used if we were rendering some text over the chart), irrelevant in our case

Pavel
Old 13-12-2011, 09:22   #37

Thanks. I changed both and it fixed the issue for that chart except for "Enable Chart Quilting" which still causes the same problem it did before.

Something still isn't quite right with Open CPN code however.

If I start with both "Quilting" and "Enable Skewed..as North" off, toggling "North" works fine. If turn "Quilting" on and then enable "North" then nothing changes - the chart does not rotate. If you then disable "Quilting" and leave "North" enabled then the chart does not always orient North. Sometimes it does but after a period of time that implies and long computation is going on perhaps. I haven't figured out why it does sometimes and not others but if I see a pattern I will post it.
Old 13-12-2011, 10:24   #38

KT,try this...it's nasty,but as a copy to test...
change Polyconic to MERCATOR.Run through bsbfix.see if waypoints/Marks are same on each version...

I've read and read til my eyes bug out(doesn't take long!) and have to consider that Polyconic is an old-school artform of the Masters...a canvas as compared to a computerized reproduction.... maybe it's my haphazard navigation but I can't tell the difference within my acceptable margins of error for computer navigation...just remember what you've done is all.Keep originals separate.
Old 13-12-2011, 10:57   #39

Boat: Dufour 35

Happy & canuck

Thanks for sorting out the "deja vu" trap. IIRCC noaa corrected a similar case around Seattle quite quickly.

Remember that skewed charts don't quilt if they are off more than 5 degrees. Polyconic charts only quilts with other polyconic charts.
More here Chart Quilting | Official OpenCPN Homepage

Thomas
Old 13-12-2011, 11:08   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySeagull View Post
KT,try this...it's nasty,but as a copy to test...
change Polyconic to MERCATOR.Run through bsbfix.see if waypoints/Marks are same on each version...

I've read and read til my eyes bug out(doesn't take long!) and have to consider that Polyconic is an old-school artform of the Masters...a canvas as compared to a computerized reproduction.... maybe it's my haphazard navigation but I can't tell the difference within my acceptable margins of error for computer navigation...just remember what you've done is all.Keep originals separate.
Didn't seem to make a difference.
Old 13-12-2011, 11:10   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
Happy & canuck

Thanks for sorting out the "deja vu" trap. IIRCC noaa corrected a similar case around Seattle quite quickly.

Remember that skewed charts don't quilt if they are off more than 5 degrees. Polyconic charts only quilts with other polyconic charts.
More here Chart Quilting | Official OpenCPN Homepage

Thomas
That would explain why quilting doesn't work!
Old 13-12-2011, 17:00   #42

thanks,Thomas-there you go-when all else fails,read the Help file!

So to scratch the itch(North-up routing),there's just the "extract-image,tilt-it-upright,re-calibrate, and rebuild-as-kap option" left to try,unless you want to make one on Google Earth or a smaller scale overview and then correct in detail later.
I find I have a just a few tilted charts,myself,way up the Fraser River, so I may just do this to see...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard02.png
Views:	49
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	34751

Name:	Clipboard01.png
Views:	47
Size:	178.6 KB
ID:	34750
Old 19-12-2011, 11:35   #43

...it seems to work quite well...to rebuild skewed TMs as quilting mercators,that is.

Name:	convert Skewed.png
Views:	53
Size:	388.8 KB
ID:	34908
Old 19-12-2011, 13:06   #44

I found an old Maptech disc that had older versions of the St Lawrence Polyconics. The skew angles were there so I transferred them to the new versions that were missing them.
Old 19-12-2011, 13:34   #45

yes,but your original problem -Which I interpret as drawing a track across two or more charts? -remains....Extreme as it is,it can be done by rebuilding the charts...ie: extracting the image with imgkap,tilting it with xnview or irfaview,calibrating the tilted image with MapCal_2 using references from the originals viewed in OPCN,adding the "quilting border" and then making a new kap with imgkap....because now that I'm an expert(a drip under pressure)after doing 4 of 'em several times to hone the process and quality,I'm compelled to encourage everybody to waste their morning this way.... and it's your fault!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: