Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2012, 03:55   #1

Question RNC Chart Display Problems

Hi all,

I'm using Arch Linux, with a variety of graphical desktops. It seems this isn't the problem.

I just compiled--using what is called an AUR Package Build (Similar to a Slackware Linux 'Slackbuild'). I did this with 2.5.0 and now, with 3.0.0. The build went fine, package was created, and it installed with no problems.

The ENC charts (I have all of them) display correctly, and quilting isn't an issue.

The RNC charts (again, I have all of them), however, are driving me batty! I'll illustrate with this screenshot: (Desktop is LXDE with Compiz Fusion in case anyone's interested.):

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot - 061112 - 03:43:51.png
Views:	150
Size:	181.4 KB
ID:	42133

-

The screenshot above is in the United States. It's Northern Lake Huron, near Cheboygan, Michigan--where I used to boat with my parents when I was younger. The blue line is a route I created with another program--PolarView--and just happened to be picked up by OpenCPN (I don't mind that! :-])

What I don't understand is the abundance of black! I can't move the chart around at all and see the raster charts that are supposed to be quilted together.

I've tried many things, including the list below:

a) Rescanned and Rebuilt the Database, many times.

b) Turned off and Turned on quilting, many times.

c) Deleted the chart directory entries, and added only the RNC directory (which pertains to the image, above.)

d) Sacrificed An Old VHF Radio with Offerings of Brass Timekeeping Instruments and a Steel Anchor, at Sunset, in Duncan Bay (on the map.)... Well, okay, perhaps this last one *didn't happen*, but I'm about ready to try anything ;->;

--

Summarizing, the ENCs work fine, the RNCs don't--and don't seem to quilt correctly. They all appear to be Polyconic--but if the system isn't displaying them correctly in the main window, who knows if the lower chart type indicator symbols are correct, too.

Regards,
GreatLakesBoatr
GreatLakesBoatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:08   #2
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39
Re: RNC Chart Display Problems

Please have a look here:
Chart Quilting | Official OpenCPN Homepage
bcn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:09   #3

Boat: Dufour 35

GreatLakesBoatr

I think that your biggest problem is that you don't have all available charts loaded. OpenCPN can't quilt a non existing chart! There should be many more charts available in your location.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2012, 18:47   #4

Smile Re: RNC Chart Display Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
GreatLakesBoatr

I think that your biggest problem is that you don't have all available charts loaded. OpenCPN can't quilt a non existing chart! There should be many more charts available in your location.

Thomas
Hi Thomas, thanks for the reply.

All the charts are loaded. I downloaded the 'all rnc' and 'all enc' files from the NOAA website. I also used another application, PolarView (Polar Navy - Marine Navigation Software), a commercial application with a 30 day free trial, that has the ability, from within the application, to download the charts directly, using the catalog listing.

I will grant that if this catalog file is incomplete, it will result in an incomplete chart quilt (in PolarView, not OpenCPN), but I have gone over this extensively, and know that all the charts are available in all areas of the Great Lakes in and around Michigan and it's neighbor states and Canada for use by both programs.

I am using the same directories for both programs, and perceive no display problems when using one or the other singly, or open together. The source directories are not an issue with me or my own OS (Arch Linux.)

I hope this helps, and I appreciate your reply.

Warm Regards,
Stephen Brown
GreatLakesBoatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2012, 19:22   #5
Marine Service Provider

Stephen...

It sure looks to me like you are missing some charts. This is what I get at the same location.

Lets take a look at your logfile. Maybe some charts are corrupted, and won't open?

Also, do I understand that you can access all the charts at this location in single chart (non-quilted) mode?

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cheb1.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	246.9 KB
ID:	42358  
bdbcat is online now   Reply With Quote