Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2011, 09:28   #46

Boat: Dufour 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySeagull View Post
A watermark!?What's next!
So in map2kap to make this,did you crank up Ozi or MapCal_2?Or can you bypass em completely somehow?That's what appeals to me,I guess.
No, neither.
The only time I use MapCal is when I convert a WCI chart to a kap chart.
What I did, in this particular case, was to start with a jpg and a map file. I used gimp to make the jpg all white. Then I just ran it trough map2kap in normal fashion. That's it.
Map2kap uses convert to take care of pure black/white charts, which as expected, worked on an all white as well.
The whole trick with map2kap and mc2bsbh is to use existing calibrations in one format to write a template or header file that goes together with tif2bsb from libBSB.

I normally handcraft my header files from a template, using Gimp to find the pix-counts for geo referencing and "tiffinfo" for necessary information about the picture, previously converted with "convert".
Then I use tif2bsb, or "mytif2bsb" to get the dawn/dusk/night palette, to produce the final kap file.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:19   #47

Boat: 29'
Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
No, neither.
The only time I use MapCal is when I convert a WCI chart to a kap chart.
What I did, in this particular case, was to start with a jpg and a map file. I used gimp to make the jpg all white. Then I just ran it trough map2kap in normal fashion. That's it.
Map2kap uses convert to take care of pure black/white charts, which as expected, worked on an all white as well.
The whole trick with map2kap and mc2bsbh is to use existing calibrations in one format to write a template or header file that goes together with tif2bsb from libBSB.

I normally handcraft my header files from a template, using Gimp to find the pix-counts for geo referencing and "tiffinfo" for necessary information about the picture, previously converted with "convert".
Then I use tif2bsb, or "mytif2bsb" to get the dawn/dusk/night palette, to produce the final kap file.

Thomas
ah, I think I see,alright...saving the hdr to reuse the image tif to mark up again and again?

well,my idea (evolving as we speak!)in a nutshell,is to merely save the entire tiff2kap command line in a textfile with the rest of my editable chart tifs to use again and again if needed..

When youre done colouring and pasting and resaving into the tif just copy paste(a rightclick in Cmd window)

tiff2kap WHITE.tif 50.587178 -126.544662 50.576073 -126.515733

after the CMD prompt and hit Enter.
"WHITE.kap" appears-easily renamed

Lurkers?Elegant tip:If you don't know this I mention:have all yer pictures and tiff2kap in the same folder that CMD starts in...the kap will appear there too.You can make cmd prompt open in any folder by getting a shortcut to it,going into properties of the shortcut,deleting everything in the "StartIn" window.Now,cmd prompt will start in ANY folder you put that shortcut,or any copy of the shortcut,into!More elegant to have a dedicated work folder than using "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator" as is XP's default.
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:49   #48
MdJ

Boat: Etap 22i
Please, can you send the kap?
MdJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 12:47   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdJ View Post
Please, can you send the kap?
M'dJ.
I can't make a white kap with tiff2kap.I haven't any white kaps.
Apparently, the tif must have colours....

Perhaps you can, using the tif attached here in the post above...
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...chmentid=23468

delete the ".doc" when downloaded but you know that already.
Old 03-02-2011, 13:31   #50

befuddled is my excuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
No, neither.
etc

etc
Thomas
Sorry,got stupid again.The ozi map file is a template...but a casual user needs OziExplorer then....and ruby script to run map2kap(-the which works darned well by the way-I've done about 40 of my map files myself!)
Old 04-02-2011, 02:00   #51
MdJ

I think the problem is the version of libtiff used in tiff2kap.

I propose to make a new version using FreeImage (included in the executable) that accepts many formats (jpeg, png, bmp, tiff ...) and directly reduce the number of colors

Add an option for Fathoms units and another for Souding Datum

And finally, the possibility of using a file kap the same way as tiff2bsb

But I need a little time to make this new version
Old 04-02-2011, 02:08   #52
MdJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySeagull View Post
ah, I think I see,alright...saving the hdr to reuse the image tif to mark up again and again?

well,my idea (evolving as we speak!)in a nutshell,is to merely save the entire tiff2kap command line in a textfile with the rest of my editable chart tifs to use again and again if needed..

When youre done colouring and pasting and resaving into the tif just copy paste(a rightclick in Cmd window)

tiff2kap WHITE.tif 50.587178 -126.544662 50.576073 -126.515733

after the CMD prompt and hit Enter.
"WHITE.kap" appears-easily renamed

Lurkers?Elegant tip:If you don't know this I mention:have all yer pictures and tiff2kap in the same folder that CMD starts in...the kap will appear there too.You can make cmd prompt open in any folder by getting a shortcut to it,going into properties of the shortcut,deleting everything in the "StartIn" window.Now,cmd prompt will start in ANY folder you put that shortcut,or any copy of the shortcut,into!More elegant to have a dedicated work folder than using "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator" as is XP's default.
To name directly output file you can write :

tiff2kap WHITE.tif 50.587178 -126.544662 50.576073 -126.515733 mykap.kap

or

tiff2kap WHITE.tif 50.587178 -126.544662 50.576073 -126.515733 c:\maykap.kap
Old 04-02-2011, 09:03   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdJ View Post
I think the problem is the version of libtiff used in tiff2kap.

I propose to make a new version using FreeImage (included in the executable) that accepts many formats (jpeg, png, bmp, tiff ...) and directly reduce the number of colors

Add an option for Fathoms units and another for Souding Datum

And finally, the possibility of using a file kap the same way as tiff2bsb

But I need a little time to make this new version
Please do! I look forward to it!

PS: Thanks for the "naming of kaps" tip!