Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2011, 10:28   #46
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: WNA
Boat: Dufour 35
Posts: 3,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySeagull View Post
A watermark!?What's next!
So in map2kap to make this,did you crank up Ozi or MapCal_2?Or can you bypass em completely somehow?That's what appeals to me,I guess.
No, neither.
The only time I use MapCal is when I convert a WCI chart to a kap chart.
What I did, in this particular case, was to start with a jpg and a map file. I used gimp to make the jpg all white. Then I just ran it trough map2kap in normal fashion. That's it.
Map2kap uses convert to take care of pure black/white charts, which as expected, worked on an all white as well.
The whole trick with map2kap and mc2bsbh is to use existing calibrations in one format to write a template or header file that goes together with tif2bsb from libBSB.

I normally handcraft my header files from a template, using Gimp to find the pix-counts for geo referencing and "tiffinfo" for necessary information about the picture, previously converted with "convert".
Then I use tif2bsb, or "mytif2bsb" to get the dawn/dusk/night palette, to produce the final kap file.

Thomas
__________________

__________________
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 11:19   #47
Registered User
 
HappySeagull's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: B.C.,Canada
Boat: 29'
Posts: 2,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
No, neither.
The only time I use MapCal is when I convert a WCI chart to a kap chart.
What I did, in this particular case, was to start with a jpg and a map file. I used gimp to make the jpg all white. Then I just ran it trough map2kap in normal fashion. That's it.
Map2kap uses convert to take care of pure black/white charts, which as expected, worked on an all white as well.
The whole trick with map2kap and mc2bsbh is to use existing calibrations in one format to write a template or header file that goes together with tif2bsb from libBSB.

I normally handcraft my header files from a template, using Gimp to find the pix-counts for geo referencing and "tiffinfo" for necessary information about the picture, previously converted with "convert".
Then I use tif2bsb, or "mytif2bsb" to get the dawn/dusk/night palette, to produce the final kap file.

Thomas
ah, I think I see,alright...saving the hdr to reuse the image tif to mark up again and again?

well,my idea (evolving as we speak!)in a nutshell,is to merely save the entire tiff2kap command line in a textfile with the rest of my editable chart tifs to use again and again if needed..

When youre done colouring and pasting and resaving into the tif just copy paste(a rightclick in Cmd window)

tiff2kap WHITE.tif 50.587178 -126.544662 50.576073 -126.515733

after the CMD prompt and hit Enter.
"WHITE.kap" appears-easily renamed


Lurkers?Elegant tip:If you don't know this I mention:have all yer pictures and tiff2kap in the same folder that CMD starts in...the kap will appear there too.You can make cmd prompt open in any folder by getting a shortcut to it,going into properties of the shortcut,deleting everything in the "StartIn" window.Now,cmd prompt will start in ANY folder you put that shortcut,or any copy of the shortcut,into!More elegant to have a dedicated work folder than using "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator" as is XP's default.
__________________

__________________
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 11:49   #48
MdJ
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: France
Boat: Etap 22i
Posts: 61
Please, can you send the kap?
__________________
MdJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 13:47   #49
Registered User
 
HappySeagull's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: B.C.,Canada
Boat: 29'
Posts: 2,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by MdJ View Post
Please, can you send the kap?
M'dJ.
I can't make a white kap with tiff2kap.I haven't any white kaps.
Apparently, the tif must have colours....


Perhaps you can, using the tif attached here in the post above...
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...chmentid=23468

delete the ".doc" when downloaded but you know that already.
__________________
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 14:31   #50
Registered User
 
HappySeagull's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: B.C.,Canada
Boat: 29'
Posts: 2,395
befuddled is my excuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
No, neither.
etc
What I did, in this particular case, was to start with a jpg and a map file. I used gimp to make the jpg all white. Then I just ran it trough map2kap in normal fashion. That's it.

etc
Thomas
Sorry,got stupid again.The ozi map file is a template...but a casual user needs OziExplorer then....and ruby script to run map2kap(-the which works darned well by the way-I've done about 40 of my map files myself!)
__________________
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 03:00   #51
MdJ
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: France
Boat: Etap 22i
Posts: 61
I think the problem is the version of libtiff used in tiff2kap.


I propose to make a new version using FreeImage (included in the executable) that accepts many formats (jpeg, png, bmp, tiff ...) and directly reduce the number of colors

Add an option for Fathoms units and another for Souding Datum

And finally, the possibility of using a file kap the same way as tiff2bsb

But I need a little time to make this new version
__________________
MdJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 03:08   #52
MdJ
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: France
Boat: Etap 22i
Posts: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySeagull View Post
ah, I think I see,alright...saving the hdr to reuse the image tif to mark up again and again?

well,my idea (evolving as we speak!)in a nutshell,is to merely save the entire tiff2kap command line in a textfile with the rest of my editable chart tifs to use again and again if needed..

When youre done colouring and pasting and resaving into the tif just copy paste(a rightclick in Cmd window)

tiff2kap WHITE.tif 50.587178 -126.544662 50.576073 -126.515733

after the CMD prompt and hit Enter.
"WHITE.kap" appears-easily renamed


Lurkers?Elegant tip:If you don't know this I mention:have all yer pictures and tiff2kap in the same folder that CMD starts in...the kap will appear there too.You can make cmd prompt open in any folder by getting a shortcut to it,going into properties of the shortcut,deleting everything in the "StartIn" window.Now,cmd prompt will start in ANY folder you put that shortcut,or any copy of the shortcut,into!More elegant to have a dedicated work folder than using "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator" as is XP's default.
To name directly output file you can write :

tiff2kap WHITE.tif 50.587178 -126.544662 50.576073 -126.515733 mykap.kap

or

tiff2kap WHITE.tif 50.587178 -126.544662 50.576073 -126.515733 c:\maykap.kap
__________________
MdJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 10:03   #53
Registered User
 
HappySeagull's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: B.C.,Canada
Boat: 29'
Posts: 2,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by MdJ View Post
I think the problem is the version of libtiff used in tiff2kap.


I propose to make a new version using FreeImage (included in the executable) that accepts many formats (jpeg, png, bmp, tiff ...) and directly reduce the number of colors

Add an option for Fathoms units and another for Souding Datum

And finally, the possibility of using a file kap the same way as tiff2bsb

But I need a little time to make this new version
Please do! I look forward to it!

PS: Thanks for the "naming of kaps" tip!
__________________

__________________
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 18:37.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.