Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2011, 07:28   #1

Boat: Gemini 3200
Restarting GPS after Disconnect

Yesterday I achieved something I had previously thought was impossible. With OpenCPN running under Windows Vista I unplugged my BU 353 GPS from the USB port and managed to get data flowing again without restarting OpenCPN.

I had the NMEA window open so I could see if data was coming in from the GPS. I unplugged the GPS and the data flow stopped. I reconnected the GPS and, as expected, nothing happened. I opened the Toolbox, went to the GPS tab, and selected "None" for the NMEA Data Source. I clicked on OK. Then I opened the Toolbox/GPS tab again and selected the correct com port (COM 14 in my case) for the NMEA Data Source. As soon as I clicked OK the data started flowing again.

I wonder if this will reliably solve the problems--widely discussed in this forum--of restarting GPS communications with OpenCPN.

Fabbian
fgd3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: