Yesterday I achieved something I had previously thought was impossible. With OpenCPN
running under Windows Vista I unplugged my BU 353 GPS
from the USB port and managed to get data flowing again without restarting OpenCPN
I had the NMEA
window open so I could see if data was coming in from the GPS
. I unplugged the GPS and the data flow stopped. I reconnected the GPS and, as expected, nothing happened. I opened the Toolbox, went to the GPS tab, and selected "None" for the NMEA
Data Source. I clicked on OK. Then I opened the Toolbox/GPS tab again and selected the correct com port (COM 14 in my case) for the NMEA Data Source. As soon as I clicked OK the data started flowing again.
I wonder if this will reliably solve the problems--widely discussed in this forum--of restarting GPS communications