Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2015, 05:20   #16

Boat: Robert 35 Centre Cockpit
Re: Request that Android OpenCPN.apk Open Source version be put up in the OpenCPN.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
These posts really need to stop. They amount to a bunch children stomping their feet because they don't understand something. I have a feeling, that if this keeps up, it will sour the attitude of the 4 main contributors to the OpenCPN project and they will move on to another project that is appreciated.

Let me post the google definition of open source.
"All Open Source software can be used for commercial purpose; the Open Source Definition guarantees this. You can even sell Open Source software. However, note that commercial is not the same as proprietary."

What does that mean.. Well it means the OpenCPN group is doing nothing wrong. It also means that anyone else if free to take the current code and fork it as they see fit (and even offer a free version of the fork on Playstore). You are also free to compile a copy and provide a download link, which has already been done by someone (with very little interest).

To the naysayers, I say, go ahead and make your own fork and offer it for free. After a couple of versions I would be interested to see how many users are using that fork as to how many continue using this main version!

I don't have a problem with the selling of Open Source GPL2 Code. As you state I can sell a copy of any GPLV2 Compiled Code for what ever I like, a million dollars or free on the Google Play store.

But selling is not what I am getting upset about,

Nohal / Pavel removed the last freely downloadable beta version of Android OpenCPN from the OpenCPN.org website.

Dave at around the same time released his production version on Google Play store for $9.99.

When I checked the source code I discovered Dave has added a wrapper that goes around the GPLV2 Source Code and adds a Google license to the outside that checks whether the code has been paid for and if not it sends your android device to the play store.

YES this is Open Source GPLv2 code sending you to Google to pay money.

So I checked the code and If you compile the code for OpenCPN on Github it will compile a OpenCPN for Android but it will not run. It will tell you your open source GPLv2 OpenCPN is not licensed to run!

+import com.google.android.vending.licensing.LicenseChecke r;

td p { margin-bottom: 0cm; }p { margin-bottom: 0.25cm; line-height: 120%; } } else {
// Otherwise, the user is not licensed to use this app.
// Your response should always inform the user that the application
// is not licensed, but your behavior at that point can vary. You might
// provide the user a limited access version of your app or you can
// take them to Google Play to purchase the app.
mLicenseHandler.post(new Runnable() {
public void run() {
Log.i("OpenCPN", "License: dontAllow(), NOT LICENSED");public void run() {

I would be totally delighted to be proven wrong here but.. this is not the spirit . Nor is this allowed in the GPLv2 License. The user , any user is always allowed to use a GPLv2 licensed code. They do not need to get permission off Google.

So basically if you take the OpenCPN GPLv2 open source code base for Android to A small island and get all the kids to compile it they will not be able to make it work unless thy pay $9.95 to Google.

I don't know about you but this is not what I got into OpenCPN community for. OpenCPN has to be Free and Open and share and Share alike. Built by volunteer boaters. Money will destroy OpenCPN.
yachtmanforfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2015, 05:32   #17

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: Request that Android OpenCPN.apk Open Source version be put up in the OpenCPN.org

I am going to support the google play opencpn because I want the best software on my phone and it will be compiled properly and have the best chances of providing good service. I also want to have the updates sent so my phone is current.
When I consider what is offered with the website, multiplatforms, plugins, forum, help and assistance, and then the continual development, there is nothing like it. I am also going to contribute money voluntarily for the windows version which I use all the time. I hope others will do likewise, as these services all have costs in addition to the many hours spent developing the program. I think we all need to vote in this way for opencpn and this community which is unique. My thanks also go to all of you who assist and support the main program developers, because your enthusiasm efforts and testing reports are what make the active development effective . This is an important new step for opencpn which may provide a larger base of users, thus ensuring continued development and new opensource contributors. This can only be a very positive thing for us, so lets just watch and hope it works.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2015, 05:49   #18

Boat: Phantom 19

yachtmanforfun...
I really don't understand why you need to crosspost this FUD in several threads. Your "groundbreaking" discovery that OpenCPN for Android follows the terms of GPLv2 license and gives you access to the *complete* source code even without you asking for it is truly amazing.
There is no violation of the license at all. Basically, if you take the OpenCPN source code to the island, absolutely nothing happens and you will build a version for any platform without any restriction, if you want.
And I'm still not too worried, it is unlikely that either money, or you, will succeed in destroying OpenCPN.

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2015, 06:00   #19

Boat: Elan Impression 434

Come on guys enough is enough. Pay the dam Money and shut up complaining . If you paid a donation towards the development of the android version , fair enough . But if you didn't move on. You are wasting forum reading space. Dave and the development team are loved and respected by most for their time and effect. It is $us10 READY is that ready an issue?

Cheers Terry

Sent from my SM-P600 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Far Star is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, opencpn