Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-02-2015, 15:06   #1

Boat: Irwin 37 CC
Replicate "Chart Group" on another machine.

I have created an ICWW chart group consisting of only the ICWW charts all of which (I think) are skewed. I would like to replicate this group on another machine without duplicating the entire effort.

1. Assume that the Chart Directories are the same between machines.
2. Could I cut and paste from the ini file(1) to ini file(2)???

1. let's assume that the chart contents are the same; but the directory structure is a little different.
2. Could I cut from the ini file (1) edit in the directory differences and then paste to ini file(2)???
Old 15-02-2015, 17:56   #2

Re: Replicate "Chart Group" on another machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdkester View Post
I have created an ICWW chart group consisting of only the ICWW charts all of which (I think) are skewed. I would like to replicate this group on another machine without duplicating the entire effort.

1. Assume that the Chart Directories are the same between machines.
2. Could I cut and paste from the ini file(1) to ini file(2)???

1. let's assume that the chart contents are the same; but the directory structure is a little different.
2. Could I cut from the ini file (1) edit in the directory differences and then paste to ini file(2)???
Yes on all counts. I have done that before myself.

Here's another tip: On Windows systems, you can also edit the .ini file to remove the drive letter from chart directories and groups (assuming your charts are on the same drive as opencpn.exe). This is useful if you use a portable installation on a USB drive or SD card, since the drive letter sometimes changes upon removing/inserting the card on different machines. Removing the drive letter thereby makes the portable install more universal.

I should post these and a few other portable installation tips in the users manual, but I haven't had time. I'm also not 100% sure they're fully supported. I've just discovered them by abusing experimenting with my configuration.
RhythmDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 12:21   #3

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: Replicate "Chart Group" on another machine.

I would heartily support an "Advanced Chart Users" page in the wiki describing the structure and these techniques. Additionally I will help by adding my comments and experience as well. Note this page would also dovetail very well with the Chart Downloader "Experienced users" wiki.

We need to describe and detail some of the nuts and bolts of how the chart system works first because existing experienced users have some choices about how they will use the new Chart Downloader plugin "predefined" or "custom" to Add Chart "Catalog".
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote