Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 22-04-2015, 12:20   #1

Reading Object Query TXTDSC information?

When I do an Object Query on an item on a chart, the last line in the object listing is frequently TXTDSC: <filename>.TXT.

For example see this shot of an Object Query dialog:

Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-04-22 15_09_01-Object Query.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	100770

The filename, in this case US3SC10F.TXT matches to a NOAA-supplied file in the same directory as the chart being displayed, like this one:

To read the information about the object, I have to browse to the directory and open the file with a text editor, then read the contents of the file, in this case it says:
Area is open to unrestricted surface navigation but all vessels are cautioned neither to anchor (except as shown) dredge, trawl, lay cables, bottom, nor conduct any other similar type of operation because of residual danger from mines on the bottom.
This process is very slow and tedious. Am I missing something in having to do it this way? Is there an easier way? If not, what do I need to do to request a feature in the next version that either provides a hyperlink to the file, or that actually reads the file and puts the information from the file in the object dialog?

jim326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 14:10   #2

Re: Reading Object Query TXTDSC information?

You can create a feature request at

nohal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2015, 04:30   #3

Re: Reading Object Query TXTDSC information?

Thanks for that link! So I see from a search of that site that this feature was already requested way back in 2013. I guess it's not very high priority...

Oh well, at least it's possible to GET the information without that feature, even if it's not EASY.

jim326 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: