Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2014, 10:50   #1

Boat: Bowman 57 - 17.4mtrs
Raymarine Radar

Hi All

First post to these forums but been around with OpenCPN for around a year or so. Thanks for great software!!!

I've watched with interest the plugins controlling the Garmin other radar systems and have had my fingers crossed hoping that someone may be able to develop a raymarine plugin also.

I believe that perhaps why one hasn't been developed is Raymarine's nightmare proprietary software perhaps???

Just in case anyone is keen I can offer the use of my raymarine system onboard our vessel her in Plymouth (UK) for anyone who might be interested in developing a radar plugin. I have two RL70c chartplotters and a raymarine RL70 4kw radar.

Although I wouldn't know where to start with programming a plugin, I am pretty handy IT wise and understand networking / php / web design stuff. (I know, no use here) I am able to wire / change wiring also on the system if need be and am freelance so have a fair amount of time on my hands to put in with testing etc.

Anyone up to the challenge??? :-)

Matt
Sailormatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2014, 19:21   #2

Re: Raymarine Radar

You Analog radar like most who use standalone radar.
Help can only Radar Processor
Here's a link to the most popular radar processor manufacturers ECS / ECDIS works with virtually all manufacturers of radar. Russell Technologies :: Home
Who would have done with the integration plugin?
Baikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 08:21   #3

Boat: Antares 44 catamaran

I take it from this post and lack of replies that there is currently no way to get Raymarine radar into OpenCPN. I have a 2004 2D 18" 2kw Radome Scanner with a series C chart plotter. I am happy to be getting my AIS, and most of my NEMA data into OpenCPN, but would like to get the radar in.
RickyEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 11:31   #4

Boat: Najad 34

RickyEM..
There are two radar types where OCPN plugins are available. The Garmin and Navico broadband radars.
To cover more someone has to develop a new plugin. There's nothing more needed than interest and a portion of knowledge. What's already done in existing plugins can of course be reused we applicable.
Håkan
Hakan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 07:43   #5

You generally need a radar with an Ethernet connection to make it work with OpenCPN so older analog boxes will not work directly. You will need classic E-series MFD to translate analog radar into Ethernet for you.

As far as newer -D and -HD series radars (or analog through E-classic MFD), you can try https://github.com/ab2nkovs/RMRadar_pi . It should work on linux if you can build it yourself.
rayguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine, radar, raymarine