Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2019, 10:29   #1

Boat: Beneteau M500 50'3"
Raspberry Pi and Bluetooth

Am using both OpenCPN on one Raspberry Pi3 B+ and Openplotter on another, while fiddling about I accidentally lost my bluetooth icon and connections, I came across a really good article on CNet regarding Bluetooth connections and Raspberry Pi3 B+, I fo;;owed instructions in the article and found that this is an easier way to connect my Globalstar BT821C to OpenCPN, one has to use the hcitool scan to get the address and it did not work at first, however found out by unmarking the device as trusted then 're'marking it as trusted I began receiving data,
here is the link https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-s...aspberry-pi-3/
I was having trouble maintaining 'binding when rebooting or after power cycling my raspberry PI whereas by using this GUI it was relatively simple to get OpenCPN to listen to the Serial port,
benet250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 11:33   #2
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39
Re: Raspberry Pi and Bluetooth

You shall report this to OpenPlotter directly - there is no guarantee that your message here will be seen by the developers of OP.
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 06:56   #3

Hi Bcn
On the face of it you appear to be quite correct, however Openplotter is based on OpenCPN and uses all of its facets and plugins, if one asks for help in Openplotter one is directed to OpenCPN instructions and also the OpenCPN forums, I am running bare OpenCPN on one Raspberry Pi3 B+ and one OpenCPN on OpenPlotter and had a bit of a hard time figuring out repositories and the such like on both (being a plug and play person), and oft times especially after screwing everything up would go and look for workarounds, so when I found this worked very well it on both RPi's, I thought it may help someone else who (and please excuse the absolutely awful pun considering the forum we are on) is in the same boat.
Ron M
Old 12-01-2019, 07:05   #4

Also as a byline have rebooted and turned off both RPi's several times and now that the addresses are set in OpenCPN both systems will pick up on both Globalstars, one Globalstar BT821C is set to /dev/rfcomm0 and the other is set to /dev/rfcomm1 in the connections menu