Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2019, 09:35   #61

Boat: Ovni 385
Re: Radar plugin v5.0.0 released

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
I've Navico 3G and can't reproduce. Douwe has a 4G. Let's see if he can test.
Håkan

I can not reproduce this either. I just tested with the 4G radar. But my heading comes in through a serial port. Do you have a heading source connected to the radar directly?

Douwe Fokkema
Douwe Fokkema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2019, 10:08   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douwe Fokkema View Post
I can not reproduce this either. I just tested with the 4G radar. But my heading comes in through a serial port. Do you have a heading source connected to the radar directly?

Douwe Fokkema
No I disconnected the heading sensor as it did not ahow the correct heading was 3 to 5 degrees out ao everything was displayed in wrong place.
Use Opencpn heading now
Ivanm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2019, 10:47   #63

Ivan,

Can you try to check the box "Ignore radar heading" in the Preferences window. After that, is the problem still there?

Douwe
Old 26-04-2019, 10:49   #64

Yes still there
Old 26-04-2019, 11:14   #65

Ivan,

Can you bring up the Info box (menu Window), then change your range to 12 nm. Does the heading in the info box (HDM) change when the image goes wrong?

Douwe
Old 26-04-2019, 11:27   #66

I left the vessel now wil look at that and report back
Old 29-04-2019, 14:17   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douwe Fokkema View Post
Ivan,

Can you bring up the Info box (menu Window), then change your range to 12 nm. Does the heading in the info box (HDM) change when the image goes wrong?

Douwe
The Heading does not change when I change the range to 12 miles
Old 30-04-2019, 03:15   #68

Boat: Friendship 28

Hi,

@merrimac, Douwe or Håkan: As I wrote I had some minour issues with the radar-plugin. Håkan tested the plugin with the same setup as mine and had no problems.

The enviroment is raspperry pi with Stretch.

I guess that my problems caused by an older version of the plugin that´s not completly deinstalled.

I deinstalled now all the radarplugins (the older br24 Version and the aktuel plugin ppa packet). But I have probelms to deinstall a packet that was installed from a build package.
What I mean is that I build this plugin from source (the plugin editon between the first "new" radarplugin and the actual plugin - it was the beta-status plugin).
I build it from source and installed it with "sudo make install". The uninstall-routine doesn´t work properly, so I want to ask where in the OS (Folders?) will the "sudo make install" install the plugin?

Thanks and regards

Andreas
Andreas29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2019, 04:45   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivanm View Post
The Heading does not change when I change the range to 12 miles

Ivan,

Can you set in the opencpn.conf VerboseLog=3, run the radar such that the error occurs, and get the opencpn.log to me.

Douwe
Old 13-05-2019, 03:46   #70
ejs

Boat: Leopard 48

Hello,
I had a bit of trouble with a multiplexer on my boat and had to change the radar compass from NMEA0183 to a NMEA2000 one. In checking The Halo 3 to OpenCPN connection after the change I found it no longer initializes. I suspect these things are not related, it has been a while since I have run things and windows update has installed a few things in the interim, but that's when I did the check.

I have reinstalled OpenCPN V5.0.0+9065270 and Radar Pi 5.0.2-Beta1-ov50 and it still does not initialize like it did before.

I've attached a wireshark pcapng renamed to pdf with about 2 minutes of OpenCPN trying to initialize, although the message about which IP addresses it it trying no longer flash in the dialog box as they did when it was working.

If someone could have a look when you get a chance I'd appreciate it, it is so nice when it is working well.

Eric
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Wireshark_Radar_on_then OpenCPN_turn_on.pdf (15.6 KB, 79 views)
ejs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 12:40   #71

Boat: Najad 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejs View Post
Hello,
I had a bit of trouble with a multiplexer on my boat and had to change the radar compass from NMEA0183 to a NMEA2000 one. In checking The Halo 3 to OpenCPN connection after the change I found it no longer initializes.
Eric
Pls check if you still have a heading to OCPN before trying to start radar_pi. Without a heading it will not start unless other options as of below.

Where is your N2K compass connected? Via MFD or a interface box into the Halo? or?
If you've a heading via the radar try use that option in preferences.
Attached Images

Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 14:39   #72
ejs

Hi, Thanks for the quick reply.
The heading sensor is on the N2K net that goes to the radar and MFD directly so the radar has heading. but OpenCPN does not.

I tried the various check boxes in the radar prefs:
Ignore gives "relative bearings" at the top and no initialization
Pass heading from Radar gives "relative bearings" at the top and no initialization
Use COG gives "Stabilized" no heading line and no initialization

I added a heading sensor to OpenCPN via ethernet from my Raspberry PI and with no checks in the boxes I get "head up" "Stabilized" and the heading line (or is it the north line?) is at a slight angle since the compass is not calibrated perfectly . It still does not initialize... :-(

Any other things to try?
Eric
Old 14-05-2019, 01:20   #73

Eric,
I looked at your pcapng wireshark file. I do see a computer at 192.168.0.59 but I cannot find a radar that is sending something. So I am afraid that the radar is not connected to the computer or off.

Douwe Fokkema
Old 16-05-2019, 13:02   #74
ejs

Hello,

I made several more changes to my nav system. I am now not completely sure that the radar was on for the wireshark I sent, But I have fixed that and tied the remote turn-on line to battery voltage so it is always on when the circuit breaker is on. I tried connecting the compass back in via the NMEA 0183 instead of N2K and updated the firmware in the gofree router but none of these things helped.

I then re-installed just the Radar pi 5.0.2 Beta1 and I started to get the "Scanning interface 192.168.77.59" in the info box and it connected in maybe 10 seconds. It had previously reported the correct version in the header of that box but had reported "initializing" in the box.

I had completely uninstalled both OpenCPN and the Radar plug-in and deleted the config files and installed OpenCPN fresh with the 5.0.2 Beta1 plugin. I had tried the same but installing the Radar Pi 5.0 first and the 5.0.2 after without success. The one that worked was just the radar 5.0.2 re-install again after I had tried and failed to connect many times.

I retried the different compass connections and have turned everything on and off to try to get it to fail again but it now connects reliably. I am somewhat mystified about what changed with the last re-install. I'm also not sure I have provided you anything actionable, maybe look at the default initializations? or maybe the problem is completely my mistake someplace, but my system is now working well, thanks.

Eric
Old 17-05-2019, 12:38   #75

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Quote:
tied the remote turn-on line to battery voltage so it is always on when the circuit breaker is on
I think this might have helped and the rest of it was due to the opencpn.ini file settings, but Douwe will know more.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lease, plug, radar