Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-05-2018, 18:19   #1

Radar Plugin using USB Ethernet Adapter

Hello. Has anyone using the Radar plugin also using an USB Ethernet adapter, because your computer doesn't have an Ethernet port, and the plugin is connecting and the radar functioning?

I have tried on two Windows 10 and one Windows 8.1 with no success.

I have the plugin working on a Windows 10 computer with a built in Ethernet port and have also tried the adapter on that computer. When in the built in port the IP looks like 169.254.171.148 which is an "Unidentified Network" but it still works.

When I use the adapter the IP looks like 169.254.102.230. The plugin looks at it and moves to the others and doesn't connect.

I tried using static IP address of 10. and 172. and still cannot connect.

I am using Opencpn 4.8.4 and Plugin 3.0. The drivers on the adapter are updated and it works when connected to other hardware. Opencpn.com is an exception in the Firewall.

I have researched on this forum and Internet but no joy.

Thanks,

Allen
sv Honalee
San Andres Isla, Colombia
svhonalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2018, 19:39   #2

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: Radar Plugin using USB Ethernet Adapter

Have you read about this in the BR24 Manual info?
What sections related to this have you read?

https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...#network_setup

https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...h_a_navico_mfd

https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...only_a_scanner

https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...thernet_switch

https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...r24_radar#wifi

https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...d_go-free_wifi

Are you sure you read these? This is all the information available. Try multicast, and pay particular attention to the speed of your router. Good luck, and post your experience here Navico BR24 Forum please

PS: Perhaps you could use the new sticky above titled "Plugin Links" to find and post in the appropriate thread so that others searching these answers will have an easier time.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ed-191536.html
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2018, 21:05   #3

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, I had read all of the links you posted and they do not specifically relate to using a USB Ethernet adapte, which is a dongle replicating an Ethernet port. In theory then, I should be able to plug the dongle into the USB port, connect the RJ45 cable from the scanner and it should work just like the factory installed Ethernet port connects and works.

Using a router is not the answer as I would still have to use the dongle to plug the cable into the computer without a factory installed Ethernet port so nothing is gained.

I always have a second computer running when underway, as a back up, and if I used the original computer as a Wifi and it goes down the back up won't have the raider. I had also read in what you sent that Wifi is not the best answer for radar.

I also tried setting up a DCHP server using the dongle as the master. It assigned an IP address to the radar as a client and assigned an IP address to the computer as a client and then set up a "Network" as shown in the Opencpn manual and the Plugin didn't see that either. On top of that, when the Network boxes were checked for both receive and send the computer locked up as soon as I gave it 0183 and would do the same when opening Opencpn after and I had to uninstall. I don't think that the Network is for radar but for 0183.

As a lot of laptops these day don't have Ethernet ports hopefully someone with one has gotten the dongle to work!
Old 23-05-2018, 21:26   #4

I also tried running an HDMI cable from the computer that was working to a monitor with an HDMI port and the picture was seriously degraded.

I have a USB display on order. I used one previously in the cockpit and left the computer below and used a wireless mouse. Hopefully that will work with the radar and not degrade. I will report over the weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	No HDMI cable.jpeg
Views:	149
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	170425   Click image for larger version

Name:	Degraded by HDMI.jpeg
Views:	120
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	170426  

Old 24-05-2018, 07:44   #5

svhonalee,

Using the Hdmi cable is a clever idea, sorry it downgraded the image. I finally got what you are trying to do

Quote:
Hello. Has anyone using the Radar plugin also using an USB Ethernet adapter, because your computer doesn't have an Ethernet port, and the plugin is connecting and the radar functioning?
I believe it is the USB port speed that is throttling the data needed. Trying to connect Radar via wifi is very data intensive (think graphics) so your wifi router and any cables & connections have to be at least as described in the manual. Maybe you should try getting an ethernet card?, or if this is RPI, then find some better ethernet device.

Quote:
WiFi

The _multicast_ transmission system used by the scanner means that transmission over WiFi must happen at the lowest rate that any device connected to the WiFi network is capable of. For 802.11b and g this rate is 1 Mbit/s. Since the radar data is ~ 1 Mbit/s as well this means it does not work well at all. The solution is to either:
  • Modify the base rate to be higher. This reduces the maximum range of your WiFi network for all devices.
  • Get a faster WiFi network, for example 802.11a or 802.1ac (5 GHz). This has a much faster base rate (6 Mbit/s). Unfortunately, most WiFi routers do not allow you to change the base rate. If yours is Linux based and uses 'hostapd' you can edit the following section in 'hostapd.conf'. The example disables basic rates 10 and 20 (= 1 and 2 Mbit/s):
# Basic rate set configuration
# List of rates (in 100 kbps) that are included in the basic rate set.
# If this item is not included, usually reasonable default set is used.
#basic_rates=10 20
#basic_rates=10 20 55 110
#basic_rates=55 110
#basic_rates=60 120 240

Old 24-05-2018, 16:06   #6

Thank you for your reply. Wifi is not an option. The goal is to be able to plug the scanner's RJ45 directly into the computer I am using so if one computer goes down I can plug it into the next computer. Simple and sounds doable with a USB Ethernet Adapter for a computer without a factory Ethernet port.

Wifi adds a complication as it could go down as well and then none of the computers will have radar.

Excuse me for my ignorance on Routers and Ethernet Switches but let me continue:

From the BR24 Radar [OpenCPN Manual.pdf on page 13:

"Choosing an Ethernet switch
If you are going to use a switch you may as well use a Gigabit switch. The scanner has a 100 Mbit interface, but a Gigabit switch will use slightly less power than a 100 MBit switch. You should probably also use one that has a 12V input which can be powered directly from the 12V house battery (or a DC/DC converter if you have a 24 V house battery bank.)

The author uses a 5 port Netgear GS105 which according to Netgear: Both GS105 and GS108 support the latest Energy E cient Ethernet (IEEE 802.3az) standard, which reduces energy consumption when there is light traffic on an active port or when there is no link or no activity detected. It can further save energy when a short cable (<100m) is used. Energy savings lead directly to cost savings in operation."

What I see is the problem is that the scanner transmits Multicast which when using the dongle it does not recognize as an IP so assigns 169.254.

My question is does the scanner RJ45 go into the Switch and an IP address assigned and then the RJ45 cable run to a computer Ethernet port (dongle in my case) or is there a Router involved that the scanner RJ45 goes into, assigns an IP address and then wired to a switch?

What is the actual hardware and how is it wired together?

That may solve the problem!
Old 24-05-2018, 16:17   #7

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

Hi, I still think its a throttling problem. There is a newer version of a PCMCIA card, that newer computers have, but is your backup computer a newer or older model?

There should be a slot that the card slides into, and there are possibly ethernet cards available. Like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-GA511.../dp/B0002VITFU

The advantage of PC-Cards is that they are native ethernet cards, connecting directly to the LBA and not being "Translated" by a USB<>LBA layer. It is called the Cardbus slot. Look if your laptop has one.

They should be seen as a device, but not a peripheral.
Old 24-05-2018, 18:31   #8

Its kind of hard to help here when things are not defined and we have not idea of the hardware, the os etc. Signing off. sorry.
Old 24-05-2018, 19:05   #9

Hi Mike, not one of the three computer has a PCMCIA slot- only SDHC and USB and the new one has an Ethernet port.
Old 24-05-2018, 21:52   #10

Boat: Lightwave 45 catamaran

I am computer ignorant so didn’t ask me anything technical. I have used a a Ethernet to USB dongal for radar to open cpn for Simrad 3G to windows 10 with no problem for 12months now. Installing as I didn’t have Ethernet port on the computer I bought an adapter and it worked straight up no fancy adjustments to the program. Maybe try a new adapter but it must easy to achieve otherwise I would never have got there.
xbillaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 22:01   #11

Well that is exactly what I wanted to hear! Can you share the manufacturer and model number of your adapter?

It should be "Put the lime in the coconut and drink it all up" with no complications.
Old 26-05-2018, 01:43   #12

Boat: Lightwave 45 catamaran

Digitech. USB 3.0 gigabits Ethernet adapter Make sure open GL is working. Bought adapter in Australian and we are now in Turkey
xbillaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2018, 01:50   #13

Boat: Garcia Passoa 50, ex Dix 38 pilothouse

Yup, I have the USB to rj45 plug in for the Lenovo Yoga on the boat. Works no problme. I had to down load the driver and then set up the ip in OPN cpn but it works fine.

LD
lamadriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2018, 03:25   #14

Hello LD. You wrote "set up the ip in OPN cpn".

Please describe exactly how you did this.

Also, do you know the manufacturer of the adapter.

Thanks!
Old 26-05-2018, 11:23   #15

Still no joy on the Ethernet adapter but for sure I need to buy a 3.0 version. Two people have gotten their adapters to connect and display the radar.

Anyway, I bought a 16" USB display monitor from Amazon for $99, and now I can display the radar and OpenCpn in the cockpit with only one cable by leaving the computer below and using a wireless mouse. I did this before with a much smaller 8" screen.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

To make it waterproof I got a giant baggie I can put over it.

I am getting a few distortion "shots" but the smaller I make the range the fewer. I think in the open sea it won't happen as now there are so many targets in the anchorage and the shoreline.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture of AOC USB Display.jpeg
Views:	98
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	170560  

Tags
plug, radar