Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2018, 12:00   #16
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Radar Plugin using USB Ethernet Adapter

Two thoughts:
If throttling is a problem, are the USB ports black? Or blue? USB3.0 ports normally are blue, not black. Something to be eliminated as a possible issue.
And Windows, even Win10, can be stubborn about switching networks. Even telling the system whether to use a built-in Wifi versus a USB WiFi, the system has priorities set somewhere internally and you may have to go to the networking controls to force selection of which adapter is being used. Make sure the USB adapter is being used as the active network--and I have no idea how or if the system can be configured to have more than one active network, if you are using WiFi or anything else at the same time.

Good luck.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2018, 12:14   #17

All of my ports are 3.0. Using cmd/ipconfig/all it displays all of the networks and their IPs, if connected, and it is seeing the USB Ethernet adapter and assigning an IP address. Opencpn is seeing it as an Ethernet card with that IP address but it does not connect and show an assigned IP for the radar.
svhonalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2018, 01:23   #18

Boat: Corbin Ketch 39ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by svhonalee View Post
Hello LD. You wrote "set up the ip in OPN cpn".

Please describe exactly how you did this.

Also, do you know the manufacturer of the adapter.

Thanks!
I have a similar problem with the Garmin, used to work, new compuer using USB LAN adaptor. I forgot the settings, could I get help? screen shots of problem
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	adater settings.PNG
Views:	119
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	171671   Click image for larger version

Name:	open meesage.PNG
Views:	122
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	171672  

Old 14-06-2018, 07:51   #19

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

USB can be difficult. Windows stores a history in the registry. Plugging devices into different USB ports can bolux up the system. Try USB View

https://social.technet.microsoft.com...w7itproinstall

I have used Nirsoft USBview View any installed/connected USB device on your system
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 21:19   #20

Got my 3.0 USB Ethernet adapter and it works perfectly giving me the radar on my Windows 10 and Windows 8.1 computers that don't have built in Ethernet ports.

My guess is that the 3G radar requires unidirectional data paths and that being the reason that the 2.0 does not work:

USB 2.0 offer a one-way communication path. This means that data is both sent and received over the same pathway. Thus, USB 2.0 can only send data or receive data at a given time, but not do both at the same time.

USB 3.0 uses two separate unidirectional data paths, each with a dedicated function: one for sending data and the other for receiving data. Thus, USB 3.0 can simultaneously send and receive data.

Thanks to all who responded.
Old 05-07-2018, 06:04   #21

Have added to Radar FAQ
can add any further details you provide.
Old 23-07-2018, 07:57   #22

Additionally, I have a Raymarine SPX30 autopilot and "NMEA 2 Out" sends the heading information needed for the radar overlay to work using the compass.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OCPN with radar overlay.jpeg
Views:	105
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	174180  
Old 26-07-2018, 08:07   #23

Boat: KMY Stadtship 56

Hm, I use USB 2.0 Ethernet adapters all the time during testing (and personal deployment) of the plugins, so there is no inherent issue with USB 2.0. USB 2.0 has a 480 MBit/s data rate, which is plenty enough for the 100 MBit/s Fast Ethernet data connection. In fact even a USB 1 at 12 MBit/s would be enough, as the radar produces about 1 MBit/s of data.

What could be an issue is if the USB Ethernet dongle, or its driver, doesn't support multicast (for the Navico radars) or broadcast (for the Garmin radars) well enough.

I use a Satechi TB3 dongle with my Mac, and Belkin F4U047 dongles with my Surface 4. Used others in the past but I don't have those on the boat so I can't look up any product types.
merrimac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2018, 08:15   #24

Quote:
  • Suspect 3G radar requires unidirectional data paths. USB 2.0 offers a one-way communication path where data is both sent and received over the same pathway. Thus, USB 2.0 can only send data or receive data at a given time, but both at the same time.
  • USB 3.0 uses two separate unidirectional data paths, each with a dedicated function: one for sending data and the other for receiving data. Thus, USB 3.0 can simultaneously send and receive data.

Sorry, but the above is just not true, or at least -- it has no relation to the issue. As indicated above I have used multiple USB 2.0 ethernet adapters ("Dongles", if you want) and have experienced no issues at all.

Please remove this from the FAQ!
Old 26-07-2018, 08:18   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubilee39 View Post
I have a similar problem with the Garmin, used to work, new compuer using USB LAN adaptor. I forgot the settings, could I get help? screen shots of problem

Joe, the screenshot shows that the plugin is not seeing a card with the right IP address (172.16...) whilst you do show a card with such an address. This suggests that this card is not enabled, or is cabled incorrectly (but then I assume the cable is the same as that went into the older computer where it did work...)
Old 26-07-2018, 11:32   #26

Quote:
Please remove this from the FAQ!
Removed the notes left the link to this discussion. Thanks.

Tags
plug, radar