I thought I had solved the disappearing GPS issue
through the following actions:
1. Found a setting in the laptop
power scheme (advanced setting) where I was able to completely disable "usb selective suspend"
2. As stated elsewhere, I reinstalled my AT&T option usb GPS driver
3. For the Garmin
GPS connected thru a Prolific serial
adapter, I installed the latest driver recommended by an earlier post (dated July 2010)
I then ran Opencpn
for more than 3 hours with each GPS and had no issue. That was at the anchorage, I just left the laptop alone with the active GPS connection
Today, however, we were sailing all day and the test results were different.
The GPS input was shared with AIS
. All worked perfectly for 4:30 hours before I lost
the GPS input. I didn't notice the loss until I started playing with imported tracks, deleting and importing several different ones.
I strongly suspect that the GPS disappearance was related to my playing with GPXin. Restarting OpenCPN didn't solve the problem, I had to reboot the laptop. Trying to reproduce the issue, I brought back my tracks and deleted them for a few minutes and then, while still connected to the GPS, the laptop crashed! After restart, I imported one track, did not delete it or play around, and all worked fine again until we dropped the anchor
over an hour later.