Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2019, 17:48   #16

Re: Quality of CM93

See attached screen dumps for the same area using recent CM93 V3 charts and also a screen dump of Navionics from phone.
The name of the bay gives us a clue "Caution Bay"
I don't believe any version of CM93 V2 will get you safely through this place.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CM93_v3_Jun2019.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	204.2 KB
ID:	199138   Click image for larger version

Name:	Navionics_iPhone.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	233.8 KB
ID:	199139  

martinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 18:06   #17

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Navionics is notoriously incorrect in many parts of the world as we'll

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2500798

Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 20:25   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Interesting.
My 2011 version of cm93 shows more than yours but admitedly, still not as much as OeSENC.

That's only because I had vector text and depths turned off more clearly show the navaid differences.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Cm93.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	199145   Click image for larger version

Name:	OeSENC.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	199146  

StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 22:23   #19

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

FWIW, the cm93 charts of New Cal are pretty good still. A few changes in buoyage and shore development, but still quite usable. In general, they are vector versions of the French SHOM charts and those guys are as good as any hydro office anywhere. And the surveys are a lot more recent than Cook!

The charts for Vanuatu are not so hot! The detailed harbour charts, where available, are spot on, but the rest of the islands are poorly georeferenced and lacking in any detail. A place for sat images and eyeballs... and don't trust that any of the nav aids will be in place, lit or even there at all.

Haven't been to Fiji for a long time, so no comment there.

Jim
Old 03-09-2019, 23:49   #20

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassidyNZ View Post
Unfortunately all the areas that do not form part of NZ’s protectorates (Cooks, Tonga, Samoa, etc) are not covered by LINZ charts. No Fiji, no New Caledonia, no French Polynesia, no Vanuatu. These are the primary cruising grounds for voyagers in NZ and LINZ do not cover any of them.

So charts for NZ, yes. Anywhere else of value, no.

The ones I have certainly include harbour charts.
PM me and I will give you a link.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 00:18   #21

Boat: ETAP 30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarCode View Post
You should check all charts not only one.
Hello,

I want to believe you, no problem.
But, could you put a screenshot of the datum of your 2015 cm93 cards, as I did in my previous post ?
That being said, I only use cm93 at home.
To navigate, I use the OesENCs.
Schnapsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 01:39   #22

Boat: Morgan 44 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Mine works perfectly all through NZ, Vanuatu, everywhere.
Got to be your settings

As for 20 year old charting, many areas of Vanuatu, New Cal are a hell of a lot older than that.
Pretty sure I used the latest paper in the bottom of new cal that said it was done by capt cook, so my understanding of electronic charting is that would have been used for the electronic version.
Your what works perfectly? Are you getting perfect info from CM93 or from LINZ charts? Because I can’t find any charts for Vanuatu on the LINZ chart catalogue.

And it’s not about how old the charts are. It’s about how old the technology is. I would venture to suggest that Capt. Cook’s charts never had the markers and lights that are located near my home. Navionics do though.

The other thing that confuses me is all the talk about “settings are wrong”. There are precious little settings to be adjusted on my OpenCPN. There is a tool bar on the upper left that is quite primitive and then there is a menu in the right lower corner that is not much better.

Whilst I understand that OpenCPN is free, for the small cost of Navionics, it leaves OpenCPN for dead in terms of chart quality and user friendliness. IMHO.

Thanks for the input so far folks, I’m not pursuing OpenCPN any further.
CassidyNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 02:27   #23

Quote:
Your what works perfectly? Are you getting perfect info from CM93 or from LINZ charts? Because I can’t find any charts for Vanuatu on the LINZ chart catalogue.

And it’s not about how old the charts are. It’s about how old the technology is. I would venture to suggest that Capt. Cook’s charts never had the markers and lights that are located near my home. Navionics do though.

The other thing that confuses me is all the talk about “settings are wrong”. There are precious little settings to be adjusted on my OpenCPN. There is a tool bar on the upper left that is quite primitive and then there is a menu in the right lower corner that is not much better.

Whilst I understand that OpenCPN is free, for the small cost of Navionics, it leaves OpenCPN for dead in terms of chart quality and user friendliness. IMHO.

If you are going to spend a season or more in Vanuatu you might check out the interactive Rocket Guides. Expensive but very complete and comprehensive.

I always find pilot books are a good option in islands as they are far more cruiser orientated than charts alone.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 06:41   #24

Boat: Amel Sharki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnapsy View Post
Hello,

I want to believe you, no problem.
But, could you put a screenshot of the datum of your 2015 cm93 cards, as I did in my previous post ?
That being said, I only use cm93 at home.
To navigate, I use the OesENCs.
I do not scan the several thousand charts for you which all have a different dates to find out the latest. But I should you inform about the CM93ed2 updates in 2015. There have been updates the 31.01.2015, the 03.03.2015 and the 05.05.2015. What charts you are using is not of any interest for me. You are free to do what you want.
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 08:31   #25
Marine Service Provider

CassidyNZ...

A screen shot of your area of interest would certainly help us to understand your issues, and possibly steer you in a productive direction.

Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 09:41   #26

Boat: ETAP 30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarCode View Post
I do not scan the several thousand charts for you which all have a different dates to find out the latest. But I should you inform about the CM93ed2 updates in 2015. There have been updates the 31.01.2015, the 03.03.2015 and the 05.05.2015. What charts you are using is not of any interest for me. You are free to do what you want.

It becomes pathetic.
To say such mistakes on a public forum will always surprise me.
Stay with your certainty, I maintain that there are no CM93v2 cards after 10/2014.
End game for me.
Schnapsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 13:25   #27

Boat: Morgan 44 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
The ones I have certainly include harbour charts.
PM me and I will give you a link.
If you have harbour charts or any other detailed charts of the South Pacific islands (Fiji, Vanuatu, New Cal) I mentioned that are published by LINZ then you are certainly privileged. Their catalogue does not list them.

Anyway, thanks for the offer but I have withdrawn any further interest in OpenCPN. Given the overall cost of my sailing budget, the cost of Navionics is a very tiny contribution.
CassidyNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 14:48   #28

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Totally disagree.

We have navionics as well but never use it now as opencpn is so much easier to use and with the addition of satelite overlays considerably safer.
You'll be wishing you had that sort of feature in Vanuatu for sure.

You did see how far out navionics can be in post #17?
You don't want to became yet another boat on the bricks blindly trusting navionics or any other charting system.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 15:14   #29
Moo

Quote:

Mostly rubbish.

You can load many charts into OpenCPN. So the quality is based on what you are prepared to pay for. If you are cheap or poor then Navionics may win, otherwise not.

Yes OpenCPN is less user friendly than Navionics.. But then Navionics is not a navigation app it is a chart display app.. totally different thing.

As for chart display settings.. click the settings wheel, charts, vector charts.. how many more options do you want? Other chart options are in the lower right toolbar.

Where are you based?

Cheers
Chris
Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 00:48   #30

Quote:
If you have harbour charts or any other detailed charts of the South Pacific islands (Fiji, Vanuatu, New Cal) I mentioned that are published by LINZ then you are certainly privileged. Their catalogue does not list them.

Anyway, thanks for the offer but I have withdrawn any further interest in OpenCPN. Given the overall cost of my sailing budget, the cost of Navionics is a very tiny contribution.
Here is a comparison of using different charts within OpenCPN of Apia Harbour, chosen at random. The most appropriate / accurate / detail chart will depend on the location. Arguably the Linz chart is the "best" in this instance. OpenCPN gives the user the choice and with split screen have them side by side.
CM93, Linz, Navionics
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...attach/jpg.gif
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CM93.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	199219   Click image for larger version

Name:	Linz.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	199220