Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2016, 02:07   #1

Problems compiling plugin

Dear OpenCPN Community,

I tried to make my own plugin using the demo_pi. I've started with compiling the complete OpenCPN build. That worked and I can start the OpenCPN.

Then I tried to follow the steps in the developer guide für compiling standalone opencpn plugins. I encountered several errors which I could solve.

Now I have a problem I have no Idea how to solve.

When I start compiling I get serveral of these errors, always including something about the wx... stuff.

Code:
  ***_pi.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "__declspec (dllimport) public: bool __thiscall wxAuiPaneInfo::IsOk(void)const " (__imp_?Is Ok@wxAuiPaneInfo@@QBE_NXZ) referenced in function "public: virtual void __thiscall ***_pi::OnContextMenuItemCallback(int)" (?OnContextMenuItemCallb ack@***_pi@@UAEXH@Z) [C:\GitOpenCPN\OpenCPN\plugins\***_p i\build\***_pi.vcxproj]
Can anyone help me with this problem? I am not sure, where I have to look for the error.

Kind regards
Nico
n.ei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2016, 05:52   #2

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: Problems compiling plugin

Nico, you don't say what OS you are using or give other details. We should not have to remind people that context is important. I am guessing that you are using MSVC++ and Windows OS.

I am also guessing that you are missing opencpn.lib because of the missing external.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2016, 06:33   #3

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

try a different plugin from demo_pi? Try statusbar_pi maybe?
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2016, 07:05   #4

Boat: Phantom 19

Nico...
It seems you are not linking against wxAUI, but without seeing your super secret *** code, it is impossible to say for sure.
Also as Sean suggested, it is probably better to start with some maintained code, not from demo_pi which we don't maintain actively.

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2016, 08:54   #5

I am sorry, you are absolutely right. I was already wondering why my post is so short

Ok, I'll try again.

I am using Windows, you are right. MSVC++ is also correct. I was using the demo_pi. I copied the folder and adjusted all the names for my purpose. I haven't changed anything of the code except for the errors I encountered. For example there were some errors about the nmea part. I compared this with the nmea source files of the dashboard plugin and was able to solve all of the errors.

opencpn.lib was missing in the debug folder, but since I succeeded in compiling opencpn I had the .lib and also was able to solve the error by copying the opencpn.lib in the right folder.

But anyway I wasn't able to compile neither my own plugin nor the demo plugin. Both had the same errors about the unresolved external symbol with always something about wx*** in the description.

As far as I can tell from the error there is something wrong with the wxwidget lib.

Edit: Ok, thats what I was assuming. Something is wrong with the linking. The "super secret" code isnt anything fancy. I have exactly the same problem with the demo plugin. Ok, I will try another plugin. I thought the demo_pi should work, thats why I was wondering and asking you here now.
I will ask you again if I will have problems with another plugin as basement for my plugin.

Thanks for your help so far.

Nico
Old 26-07-2016, 16:12   #6

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

I suspect demo_pi may not compile out of tree.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2016, 18:19   #7

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

n.ei, I think Sean (boat_alexandra) has a good point.

Can you try to build demo_pi while building OpenCPN? Demo_pi was built as a very early example of plugins by Dave, so it is probably not configured for stand alone build.

Perhaps you could try a standalone build of Sean's status_pi ?
https://github.com/seandepagnier/statusbar_pi
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2016, 02:49   #8

Ok, so here s an update on my status now:

I got the statusbar_pi and were able to compile it. I changed it a little bit and its working now. So dont worry about my problem anymore.

Thanks to you all for helping me. If I got any further questions I will open a new topic since compiling was successful now.

I haven't tried building the demo_pi anymore. If you are interested in this problem I can try buidling it while building OpenCPN but I do not want to put too much effort in this.

Again, thank you very much for your qualified and fast help.

Best wishes to you all
Nico

Tags
plug