Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2017, 08:45   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 30
Problem recognizing GPS

I have successfully installed OpenPlotter on my Rpi3b. Now I'm trying to hookup the GPS. I purchased a USB BU-353 because of favorable reviews.

From the manufacturers support page (RASPBERRY PI GlobalSat BU-353S4 GPS Installation | Instant Support Site) I installed :apt-get install gpsd gpsd-clients python-gps
Then entered the command:gpsd /dev/ttyUSB0 -F /var/run/gpsd.sock

If I look at lsusb I can see the GPS
If i look at : sudo cat /dev/ttyUSB0 I can see the data stream.
If I look at : cgps -s I see the live position!

when I go to the Openplotter USB manager tab I see it and add it. Then it shows up in the drop down under OpenCPN OPTIONS>CONNECTIONS>serial... dataport however nothing shows up?

Any ideas would be most appreciated!!!
Thanks for any information!
__________________

solosail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 10:31   #2
Registered User
 
rgleason's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Boston, MA
Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Posts: 13,530
Re: Problem recognizing GPS

Is some other program using that datastream? When you are trying to connect in Opencpn? ..It is a serial port connection.

Make sure you Disconnect/terminate all other programs using the datastream/GPS.
__________________

rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 12:52   #3
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 30
Re: Problem recognizing GPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Is some other program using that datastream? When you are trying to connect in Opencpn? ..It is a serial port connection.

Make sure you Disconnect/terminate all other programs using the datastream/GPS.
Yes... serial. No other program loaded. Just Openplotter.
solosail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 16:35   #4
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Helsingborg
Boat: Dufour 35
Posts: 3,587
Re: Problem recognizing GPS

Have you added and activated a data port using the GPSD protocol?
You don't need GPSD to run the GPS. There is always the option of a direct connection.
/Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 18:30   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 30
Re: Problem recognizing GPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
Have you added and activated a data port using the GPSD protocol?
You don't need GPSD to run the GPS. There is always the option of a direct connection.
/Thomas
Yes I'm using GPSD...
How does one run it with a "direct connection"?
solosail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 20:29   #6
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Probably in an anchorage or a boatyard..
Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Posts: 4,680
Re: Problem recognizing GPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by solosail View Post
I have successfully installed OpenPlotter on my Rpi3b. Now I'm trying to hookup the GPS. I purchased a USB BU-353 because of favorable reviews.

From the manufacturers support page (RASPBERRY PI GlobalSat BU-353S4 GPS Installation | Instant Support Site) I installed :apt-get install gpsd gpsd-clients python-gps
Then entered the command:gpsd /dev/ttyUSB0 -F /var/run/gpsd.sock

If I look at lsusb I can see the GPS
If i look at : sudo cat /dev/ttyUSB0 I can see the data stream.
If I look at : cgps -s I see the live position!

when I go to the Openplotter USB manager tab I see it and add it. Then it shows up in the drop down under OpenCPN OPTIONS>CONNECTIONS>serial... dataport however nothing shows up?

Any ideas would be most appreciated!!!
Thanks for any information!
Try deleting the serial input from Opencpn, openplotter uses kplex so once it is added to the openplotter usb tab the gps data gets rebroadcast, think it should already be set up in Opencpn, tcp-localhost port 10110 or something like that from memory. Sounds like openplotter is already talking to the gps so Opencpn can't get to it.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 09:25   #7
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 30
Re: Problem recognizing GPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
Try deleting the serial input from Opencpn, openplotter uses kplex so once it is added to the openplotter usb tab the gps data gets rebroadcast, think it should already be set up in Opencpn, tcp-localhost port 10110 or something like that from memory. Sounds like openplotter is already talking to the gps so Opencpn can't get to it.
THANK YOU FOR TAKING THE TIME TO RESPOND!

I'll give that a try... However I think it's something more fundamental. I have loaded OpenCPN on a SD card by itself and can't get it to recognise the GPS... although I can see it using cgps!

All quite frustrating!
__________________

solosail is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
gps

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Android OpenCPN not recognizing internal GPS ahoniball OpenCPN 19 15-10-2015 18:37
recognizing GPS through a bluetooth multiplexer mkconway OpenCPN 1 23-12-2013 09:13
Short article on Recognizing Drowning doug86 Health, Safety & Related Gear 0 31-05-2011 03:06
How to get GPS data from Delormo LT-20 GPS and Raymarine (ethernet) on my desktop? velero OpenCPN 1 29-03-2011 13:36
Furuno GPS - 'GPS Week Number Rollover' bitman Navigation 0 25-11-2009 03:53

Advertise Here


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 14:29.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.