Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2010, 15:45   #1

Boat: Cartwright 42 Chapter II
Problem Opening Charts

I have downloaded a late version of ocpn with a win7 OS. All the charts I tried loading seems to load with resulting outlines in red. The problem is a lot of them when I try to get max detail by right clicking they do nothing and the red outlines disapeer.
Does any one know what is happening?
biggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2010, 07:02   #2

Biggy here,
Someone must know an answer to this. Going cruising soon.
Old 29-07-2010, 07:26   #3
Marine Service Provider

Can you post some screen shots or log entries? We'll try to help.

Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2010, 17:53   #4

Thanks for the comeback.
I have several cd's dvd's with different formats. Most all of them will load on the program and show the outlines in red.Trouble is they will not open and do not show charts along the bottom. If I leave the disc in they will then open although a few seem corrupted and just show as lines etc.
This is a new computer with win 7 os. I am not very expert in this area and probally doing something wrong.
As an aside the charts that come loaded with the program of the southern US do not now show up in red outlines.
I have uninstalled the program and downloaded again to no avail.
Cheers John
Old 30-07-2010, 03:41   #5

Boat: Wasa 410
Hi Biggy,
Sorry about your problem but you need to be much more specific to get help. Otherwise it is a bit like saying. "I have a car, it does not start. Why? Does anybody know why?"

Exactly which type of charts do you have problems with? That is, which type of bitmapped charts or which type of vector charts?

OpenCPN will read the chart from its original location, so if they are on a CD when you first "add them" to OpenCPN you have to keep the CD in the bay allways when you run OpenCPN.
Better is to copy all the charts you will use to your hard drive or to a USB that will remain attached to the computer, and then "add them" to OpenCPN. Whenever you move the charts they have to be added again and the database rebuilt within OpenCPN.

Adding charts in OpenCPN mean that you tell OpenCPN were to find charts and to build a database that contain datafor which areas charts are availlable and which scale they have. The actional "graphics" is not stored in OpenCPN, it remains in the chart files in the original directory.

/J
jonasaberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2010, 05:05   #6

Many thanks Jonsasaberg,
I was misled by my other nav. program,visual nav. 4.1 which loaded the charts direct on to the program.
I put charts on to a usb drive and all is well for now,but as in computer tech that can change.For example my hard drive in my main desktop just went out with no hope for recovery!!
Thanks again and also to the cpn team.
Biggy

Tags
charts