Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-02-2015, 10:16   #1

Problem Importing Waypoints

When importing routes into Open CPN 4.0.0, about 10% of the Lats & Longitudes are off by about 30 seconds. These routes were created in Open CPN 4.0.0 and then saved on my hardrive to be later uploaded to my GPS. However, a few days ago my Open CPN crashed loosing some of my routes so I was surprised when I imported the routes back into Open CPN and they were wrong.

I opened the same route files in Mapsource & Homeport and the Lats & longitudes are correct. I have re-entered the correct data into Open CPN, so my problem is solved. Just thought others would want to know about the problem I have.

Tom
s/v Eclipse
tomeclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2015, 12:06   #2

Boat: Phantom 19
Re: Problem Importing Waypoints

Tom...
Can we have a look at an example file and the exact coordinates where the waypoint should be?
OpenCPN rounds the coordinates to nine decimal places (=about 1 millimeter precision) in the GPX, I can't see how any rounding error could get to 30 seconds, which is 900+ meters...
Also, what are your settings for the display? Degrees, Minutes, seconds?

Thanks

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2015, 18:19   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
Tom...
Can we have a look at an example file and the exact coordinates where the waypoint should be?
OpenCPN rounds the coordinates to nine decimal places (=about 1 millimeter precision) in the GPX, I can't see how any rounding error could get to 30 seconds, which is 900+ meters...
Also, what are your settings for the display? Degrees, Minutes, seconds?

Thanks

Pavel
The settings are degrees, Decimal minutes. It is not a rounding error because when I correct the lat & longitude for the turning point having the error, the point moves about 30 seconds. Also, the error exists for both lat & longitude.

How would you like me to present the "example file" to you?

Tom
Old 15-02-2015, 18:25   #4

Boat: Phantom 19

Tom...
Thanks for the clarification. Just attach a GPX file, which would be imported wrong for you, to a post here. If it can be a file containing just one waypoint, it will be best, but if it has to be bigger, no problem, just tell me which of the wpts gets corrupted for you.

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2015, 20:35   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomeclipse View Post
When importing routes into Open CPN 4.0.0, about 10% of the Lats & Longitudes are off by about 30 seconds. These routes were created in Open CPN 4.0.0 and then saved on my hardrive to be later uploaded to my GPS. However, a few days ago my Open CPN crashed loosing some of my routes so I was surprised when I imported the routes back into Open CPN and they were wrong.

I opened the same route files in Mapsource & Homeport and the Lats & longitudes are correct. I have re-entered the correct data into Open CPN, so my problem is solved. Just thought others would want to know about the problem I have.

Tom
s/v Eclipse
You seem to be saying that the routes displayed correctly on O4 before the crash (since they were created there), and were exported to .gpx and displayed correctly in Mapsource and Homeport, but after the crash you imported the same files and they were off by 30"?

If so, I think it would be helpful for you to import the original (non-corrected) files back into O4 again, verify that they still have the 30" error, then re-export them to a different gpx file.

Then, using a text editor, open both the original and re-exported files side-by-side for comparison. You could also paste each file into adjacent columns in Excel, and write a comparison formula (or conditional formatting) to highlight the differences.
RhythmDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 05:29   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmDoctor View Post
You seem to be saying that the routes displayed correctly on O4 before the crash (since they were created there), and were exported to .gpx and displayed correctly in Mapsource and Homeport, but after the crash you imported the same files and they were off by 30"?

If so, I think it would be helpful for you to import the original (non-corrected) files back into O4 again, verify that they still have the 30" error, then re-export them to a different gpx file.

Then, using a text editor, open both the original and re-exported files side-by-side for comparison. You could also paste each file into adjacent columns in Excel, and write a comparison formula (or conditional formatting) to highlight the differences.
Your sequence of events is correct. Today I deleted from Open CPN the 5 routes that had the problem and re-imported them and they were perfect. Even the turning point names were correct. I hadn't mentioned I my previous posts that some of the turning points had been renamed by Open CPN when I imported them. All seems to be OK now.

Question: Is there a way to do a SAVE when working on Open CPN? I had been working in Open CPN for 7 hours when it crashed. I had wished I had done some sort of SAVE every hour or so. I have started closing Open CPN every half hour hoping it will do a SAVE.

Thanks for all your help.

Tom
Old 16-02-2015, 07:05   #7

Boat: Irwin 37 CC

Tom

When I'm working on a long route I do an "Export Selected" occasionally. I don''t see any need to close/open Opencpn.
Old 16-02-2015, 07:22   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdkester View Post
Tom

When I'm working on a long route I do an "Export Selected" occasionally. I don''t see any need to close/open Opencpn.
I do the same. It's just too easy to accidentally drag a waypoint to the wrong place. The new undo feature helps, but only if you notice it right away. I suppose making better use of Layers could also prevent the problem, but I've never taken the time to really learn how to use that feature.

Crash tolerance is another good reason to export everything to gpx. Same reason that you'd save an Excel or Word file frequently.
RhythmDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
import