Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 14-01-2013, 23:22   #16

Boat: 29'
Re: Portable execution - please unbundle the install

Dave777, that is strange behaviour, alright. Maybe just confirm you have it set up right first.
from Portable OpenCPN | Official OpenCPN Homepage,
You need these in your PortableO directory...
1. opencpn.exe (of course)
2. "opencpn portable.bat" (or other name of user choice)
this is a command-type file containing the one line: "opencpn -p" (no quotes)
3. msvcr100.dll
4. msvcp100.dll
5. Eight wxWidgets dlls
6. OCPN data directories
plugins/
s57data/
share/
sounds/
tcdata/
wvsdata/
doc/
7. license.txt
Of course you can include layers/, Usertcdata/, and UserIcons/ and cm93 folders too.
I do.

I would say that PortableO is pretty much intended to be created/copied from a full install...and the VC++ 2010 has been installed on your computer. This last important point allows the easy copying of 3. msvcr100.dll
4. msvcp100.dll from Windows' system files...

Perhaps you have already done all this?

Old 15-01-2013, 00:57   #17

Boat: 1976 Cal 2-27

You can make your own portable installations of most windows apps using VMWare ThinApp. Will it work for OCPN? I really don't know, because there are port and communications issues that might pop up if you want seamless integration with a GPS or other hardware. The ThinApp environment has its own virtual registry that stays with the executable and it doesn't need to write or read your computer's registry. I am sure you can get it to run just fine as a portable app, but it might or might not play nice with your other navigation tools. Try it and see! Let us know! You can also simply create a virtual machine with VMWare and install OCPN in that. You would be able to specify access to the host machine's ports and peripherals.

Old 16-01-2013, 15:09   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySeagull View Post
Dave777, that is strange behaviour, alright. Maybe just confirm you have it set up right first.
from Portable OpenCPN | Official OpenCPN Homepage,
You need these in your PortableO directory...
1. opencpn.exe (of course)
2. "opencpn portable.bat" (or other name of user choice)
this is a command-type file containing the one line: "opencpn -p" (no quotes)
3. msvcr100.dll
4. msvcp100.dll
5. Eight wxWidgets dlls
6. OCPN data directories
plugins/
s57data/
share/
sounds/
tcdata/
wvsdata/
doc/
7. license.txt
Of course you can include layers/, Usertcdata/, and UserIcons/ and cm93 folders too.
I do.

I would say that PortableO is pretty much intended to be created/copied from a full install...and the VC++ 2010 has been installed on your computer. This last important point allows the easy copying of 3. msvcr100.dll
4. msvcp100.dll from Windows' system files...

Perhaps you have already done all this?
Thanks for those details. When I get some time, I'll backtrack over those steps and give it another shot.
Old 16-01-2013, 16:22   #19

...oh. Dave777,by the way. incase you want to try, without a MS install... 7zip works on the vcredist. but there's a bit of hunting and renaming....
Old 16-01-2013, 18:26   #20
Marine Service Provider

Happy/777....

And this is why we have a package installer....
You guys are smart....imagine simple sailors trying this.

Dave
Old 16-01-2013, 20:11   #21

no, no- not so smart....Dedicated Fans more like. It's harder to describe accurately than to do but all it is, is to copy all the Opencpn stuff into one folder and ask O to p....
Old 22-01-2013, 23:30   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Happy/777....

And this is why we have a package installer....
You guys are smart....imagine simple sailors trying this.

Dave
If you're looking for a package installer for those reasons then there are alternatives which don't impose the latter day Microsoft "features".

Install Wizard 3.0 is free for free software, there are several others as well.
Old 23-01-2013, 02:38   #23

Dave...
Just our of curiosity. What exactly don't you like about our NSIS (free, open source, not using MS install package format at all) created package? What exactly makes it full of Microsoft "features" and which "features" those are?
Sorry, someone just woke me up from the office and it's 3 AM

Pavel
Old 29-01-2013, 11:38   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
Dave...
Just our of curiosity. What exactly don't you like about our NSIS (free, open source, not using MS install package format at all) created package? What exactly makes it full of Microsoft "features" and which "features" those are?
Sorry, someone just woke me up from the office and it's 3 AM

Pavel
Hi Pavel,
You probably understand much more about all the technology so thanks for your patience. Someone already asked me about the problems with the new install procedures of the most recent O version earlier - and I did my best to answer earlier in this thread. One or two other posters chimed in with their opinions which to some extent had some level of agreement.
The most important point I'd like to get across is that we greatly appreciate the efforts of everyone contributing to O.

I'm running O on linux much more reliably than any other nav software I've tried -Windows without major issue (will be learning about udev). My problem seems to be that continuing to use my relatively stable XP SP2 home PC is not an option with the new SP3 requirement. I don't have any knowledge of NSIS or other reasons for requiring SP3 in the new install.

If you're curious about OS issues, costs and risks of single sourced OS, closed security mechanisms, and associated licensing issues - the best forums can be found elsewhere. I'm not knowledgeable enough to speak about them, nor do I think this is the forum for it.

Thanks again for your efforts.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:43   #25

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331

Hi everybody!

Just digging a bit into the portable thing ...

Quote:
Guys...
we build with VC++ 2010, and as such we have to bundle the corresponding version of vcredist_x86.exe with OpenCPN. The reason for using the 2010 toolchain is (amongst others) that the older version of the MSVC redistributable failed for a lot of people without any chance for us to fix it and follow the MS licensing policy, which explicitly forbids to distribute the runtime libraries in any other form than vcredist_x86.exe, at the same time.
The same reason prevents us from distributing a .zip with the portable version that "just runs" for everybody - we can't bundle the MS DLLs with it and as such it would not run for people without the redistributable installed previously.
I know this sucks, but I was not there when they wrote that license in Redmond...
The 2 .dll files aren't needed if they are already installed on the computer one run the portable version on.
So if the vcredist_x86.exe would simply be included in a portable.zip so that one could simply install it if not already present on the appropriate system, all would be fine, wouldn't it?

I plan to also bundle (not all activated) the plugins (for Windows). Here I ran into problems ..., mainly with the logbook plugin which has its own installer adding files + directories to the ProgramData/opencpn directory.

What is the equivalent for this directory for the portable version?

Greetings
Gunther

BTW: There was a security update for the vcredist_x86.exe => http://www.microsoft.com/de-de/downl....aspx?id=26999

PS: Found an interesting article http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/arc.../10008146.aspx
So we maybe can make a portable package with the vcredist_x86 bundled and an installer (script) which checks for the existence of it and only installs it if not already present? Don't know if it would make things easier for some guys ...?
Old 03-04-2013, 12:58   #26

Gunther...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Netsurfer View Post
So if the vcredist_x86.exe would simply be included in a portable.zip so that one could simply install it if not already present on the appropriate system, all would be fine, wouldn't it?
Yes it would be possible and in accordance with Microsoft's license. I'm just wondering how many complaints of "the thing is not starting and shows this OS message" type it will generate. I really have answered these questions exactly one time more than I would like to. This solution is not perfect, but certainly the best from the ones at hand.
Quote:
I plan to also bundle (not all activated) the plugins (for Windows). Here I ran into problems ..., mainly with the logbook plugin which has its own installer adding to the ProgramData/opencpn directory.

What is the equivalent for this directory for the portable version?
The current directory (the one in which opencpn executable is).

Pavel
Old 03-04-2013, 13:41   #27

OPENCPN PORTABLE INSTALL for WINDOWS

Dave 777 – I fully support your request for a standalone portable install for OPCN and from the recent posts it is obvious that it can be achieved without compromising copyright issues. Despite the views of a few.

There are a large number of software programs that can be installed under Windows and UBUNTU which come as a self contained package which can be run solely and directly from a portable hard drive or from a USB stick or SSDrive.

It must be accepted that the overwhelming number of users of OPCN – 90% – use Windows based computers and are not technically able to fully understand the workings of a program.

The hard part in all of this seems to be changing the entrenched views of a few and convincing the developers / coders that a stand alone fully portable install package is the route that should be followed for the installation.
Old 03-04-2013, 13:54   #28

Pavel ...
Quote:
The current directory (the one in which opencpn executable is).
Noop, does not work for the logbook plugin.

The problem left is that the .txt files in \ProgramData\opencpn\plugins\logbook\data will be used and not the ones on the portable drive ...!

Any idea?

And just another point/ question: Why is there a new navobj.xml file created on each program start? And why are the older ones renamed instead of being deleted? Is there any reason for this?

Gunther
Old 03-04-2013, 15:08   #29

Quote:
Pavel ...

Noop, does not work for the logbook plugin.

The problem left is that the .txt files in \ProgramData\opencpn\plugins\logbook\data will be used and not the ones on the portable drive ...!

Any idea?
Will have to have a look at the code, but a minor modification will probably be needed...
Quote:
And just another point/ question: Why is there a new navobj.xml file created on each program start? And why are the older ones renamed instead of being deleted? Is there any reason for this?
Yes, there is, backup.

@dougwm10
You say it all...
Quote:
It must be accepted that the overwhelming number of users of OPCN 90% use Windows based computers and are not technically able to fully understand the workings of a program.
Exactly for this reason I don't like the only option we have, which is distributing vcredist_x86.exe, which the user might have to run manually in case of a weird crash on startup, which we have no chance to influence. Call my view entrenched or whatever else, but there is no good and legal solution for that.

Pavel
Old 03-04-2013, 15:11   #30

Pavel ...,

all said before!

Quote:
Call my view entrenched or whatever else, but there is no good and legal solution for that.
Quote:
PS: Found an interesting article Mailbag: How to detect the presence of the Visual C++ 2010 redistributable package - Aaron Stebner's WebLog - Site Home - MSDN Blogs
So we maybe can make a portable package with the vcredist_x86 bundled and an installer (script) which checks for the existence of it and only installs it if not already present? Don't know if it would make things easier for some guys ...?
Gunther

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: