Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2013, 02:04   #76

Boat: Van der Stadt Samoa 48
Re: Plugin Threads (List)

Hi Rick,

I made it work, very nice work. I believe that the development of this plugin is moving in a very interesting direction, witch is very useful.

I have noticed that it is a bit slower than before, and that the program cracks if i one of the parameters are not set correct.

The route is duplicated in the main weather routing window when I export and reset it. All information about time and distance disappeared as well. It would be nice if we could keep the route with all the information, but without the isochrones. It would also be nice to get information about the expected weather during the passage.

It is incredible the amount of work you putting into it. Where do you find the time?

Lars
Taarnskov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2013, 03:34   #77

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Lars, Thanks for your note and letting Sean and me know that you got it going! I am just the guy who helped Sean. It is Sean's plugin and he did all of the 1000's of lines of code starting with Weatherfax, Climatology, Watchman, rtlsdr and also added major improvements to Grib along with Jean Pierre. This is Sean's work which is pretty incredible when you consider that he sails a 27' Bristol which he totally rebuilt. Boat_Alexandra has no engine and is total solar powered with I believe 2 or 4 large PV panels + sails of course. Sean is an electro mechanical programming whiz who has sailed from CA I believe to NZ, and while at sea he programmed on his laptop powered by solar. I think he has autopilot and is starting to wire up sensors for a whole boat cruisepro application that he has in mind using arduino and other sensors, but I should let Sean tell you about that.

Where I come in, is I expressed a desire for weatherfax, and Sean said he'd could program it, provided I would compile for Windows and test. Which I did for him. Then he improved the Grib program and he a Jean Paul merged features for the Grib program. Sean then offered to do a Climatology program if I could download the 180 gb from various sites that was needed, and process and compact the data because he only had free wifi in NZ at libraries and where ever he could pick it up. Anyway, we worked pretty hard on the data part and he was busy programming Climatology (I don't know how he gets so much done) and we had some difficulties of course, with some parts of the data, and getting MSVC to cooperate with compiling...so after about 5 different versions of Climate Data, the data part got settled and Sean was able to get Climatology running in Windows acceptably with some features disabled, after a lot of compiling and testing,...including the ability to run in Weather_Routing which he programmed on the way across and concurrently (just after) Weather_routing. Then he took a break and sailed up to Bay of Islands NZ and reconnected. I was trying to figure out how to get Wx-Rte reading Climatology and he took over again and fixed that and improved Weather Routing some more!

It is a pretty incredible story and I wish Sean had a blog or facebook page and could post some photos of his travels and work. I think it would be a very interesting story. Sean is going to be starting a new very long voyage and I encourage users to use the donate button in Climatology because that is his source of income for the voyage. Oh, I forgot in between all that he programmed rtlsdr and Watchman!

My part has basically been support, data download and processsing, compiling and testing (a lot of this) in MSVC forwindows, and testing in Linux which is proving to be easier, and trying to keep all the pieces together. Just that has proven to be a large job, which I hope is winding down. You can imagine the time and effort Sean put into this.

I am very lucky to have learned a great deal and to work and assist a great programmer who has created some super plugins for Opencpn.

Thanks Lars, for giving me an opportunity to write about Sean and to explain the relationship.

Rick

PS: If Sean has left NZ on his long voyage, perhaps we can figure out and fix some of these things, but he may reconnect again if he finds wifi and be able to help. So we should prepare a list of bugs/features. That has been the pattern, but the area he is going to has less wifi.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2013, 03:44   #78

Lars
Quote:
The route is duplicated in the main weather routing window when I export and reset it. All information about time and distance disappeared as well. It would be nice if we could keep the route with all the information, but without the isochrones. It would also be nice to get information about the expected weather during the passage.
I believe the reason this occurs, is Opencpn Routing currently does not store time and distance in the waypoint/leg record (I may have this a bit wrong). Tracks have a different format and do. There has been some discussion about changing this, which I hope will happen sometime. Then I believe export/import will round trip better. -Pavel and others would know and have more accurate information about the current status of the Route record in Opencpn.

I do think Import/Export round trip should be on the list. I am glad you got it going. What were the things you did to have it respond?
Old 24-06-2013, 12:56   #79

Plugins-Beta - Weather_Routing & Climatology Updates
Climatology recompiled again today with changes. Download new Climate-Data-6.

Opencpn Beta Login - Plugins - rguser, rgpass.
Old 30-06-2013, 20:45   #80

Pavel,

After reading Sean's Depagnier's (boat_alexandra) commits for climatology and weather_routing in github, I learned what his intent was.
1. Make climatology able to read both compressed gz and not compressed data, so that the smaller CL-DATA-5.7z could be downloaded and used.
2. Renumber climatology to 0.3 for Windows, and leave it as 0.2 for linux (I don't believe he intend it to work for linux and not windows.
3. Having done that, it is clear that he intended to have weather_routing work with climatology version 0.3 in windows.
4. Therefore I made the modification to the minor version number changing it to "3" for the windows version.
5. I believe Sean wanted to release weather_routing, climatology, watchman, rtlsdr, weatherfax,& celestial_nav, if they aren't already. I know he made changes to rtlsdr and watchman with that intent.

I think Sean's plugins are finally compiled and done. I checked the Sourceforge OpencpnPlugin file dates against Sean's latest commit for each plugin and the table below shows the results and action needed.

Plugin
_____Last Commit__ Sourceforge ___Action___ Ocpn Version
weather_routing -- June 20-_________________Add______3.2.0
climatology_____June 25 _____June 26_______Ok_______3.2.0
watchman______June 24__________________ Add______ 3.3.604
rtldsr __________June 24 _________________ Add_______ 3.2.0
weatherfax______ May 1______ April 6_______ Update____ 3.2.0
watchman_______June24__________________ Add_____ _3.3.604
celestial_nav_____ Ap 21______ April 6_______ Update____ 3.2.0
grib have several versions with current interface run in 3.2.0 -might want to put on website under 3.2.0

So you may want to update Sourceforge, Also please update all CL-DATA as it has simplified and changed.
(Sean has made a URL to sourceforge if the data is not found in the correct location.)
To conform to Sean's programming, I have physically changed the data in CL-DATA-5 directory, copying CL-DATA-6 into it because of concurrency communication issues I had with Sean (did not understand what he wanted). This is what the code expects and what Sean expected.

Please add the three files
found on Opencpn Beta File thingie in Plugins-Win-Opencpn-3.2.0
CL-DATA-5.zip (contains compressed (*.gz) files, bigger)
CL-DATA-5.7z (contains uncompressed files, smaller)
CL-DATA-README.txt - has more detailed information about climatology data use now.

These files are considerably simplified, compiled and updated

and under the appropriate directories.

Opencpn Beta File Thingie rguser rgpass
Plugins Win v3.2.0 Directorycelestial_navigation_win32_pi18_v15_ov320_pi,dll 6-30-13
climatology_win32_pi19_v03_ov320_pi.dll 6-30-13
rtlsdr_win32_pi18_v08_pi.dll 6-29-13
weatherfax_win32_pi18_v07_ov320_pi.dll 6-30-13
also the files/directories celestial_navigation and climatology

Also these Grib Plugins work in v3.2.0 and two are with the new interface,
shouldn't they be put in opencpn.org plugin 3.2.0 download?

grib_win32_pi18_v14_vo320_original-interface_pi.dll 2/26/2013
grib_win32_pi18_v14_ov320_saildocs-only_pi.dll 4/20/2013
grib_win32_pi18_v22_ov320_saildoc-zygrib_pi.dll 6/10/2013

Plugins Win v3.3.604 Directoryweather_routing_win32_pi110_v08-3_ov33604_pi.dll
watchman_win32_pi110_v05_ov33604_pi..dll
These both work fine now with the climatology above and with grib plugins.
also the files/directory for weather_routing
Plugins Linux Directory
CL-DATA-5.7z
CL-DATA-5.zip
CL-DATA-README.txt
lib_celestial_navigation_lin64_pi18_v15_pi.so
lib_climatology_i386_pi19_v02_pi.so 6/25/13
lib_climatology_lin64_pi19_v02_pi.so 6/25/13
lib_watchman_lin64_pi110_v04_pi.so 6/25/13
Plugins-README-STOP
And the celestial_navigation, climatology and weather_routing directories and files.Thanks for all your help, advice.and teaching. Good Teachers are rare and I have learned a great deal from you and Sean, ..but am ready to take a break for awhile now that Sean is gone! I hope this has been some help.

Best.
Rick
Old 01-07-2013, 01:32   #81

Hi rgleason,

I have tried to play with new set of updated plugins and I have an error while I try to enable it [celestial_navigation_win32_pi18_v15_ov320_pi.dll].

It looks like we have problem with path to the file (mixed "\" and "/" in the path)

Kubek
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OpenCPN_3.2.2_Celestial_navigation_plugin_error.png
Views:	220
Size:	193.3 KB
ID:	63402  
kubek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:21   #82

Kubek,

Thanks for tyring it. Yes, frustrating sometimes.. I noticed that path earlier and also wondered about it, however it works in my machine (win7pro dell xps 15 laptop) with both v3.2.0 and v3.3.604001, so lets first check some things.
1. What version of Opencpn are you using?
2. Where is your data located? .../opencpn/plugins/climatology/data/
3. Which data? -Download CL-DATA-5.zip or CL-DATA-5.7z (has uncompressed)
and unzip into the directory.
4. Can you see the plugin in settings > plugins? If so, is it version 03?

I might try to change the path thing later, but I think the problem is related to the above items. If you get it going, let me know what makes it work please.

Reminder to others, don't forget to download data files for plugins climatology, weather_routing and celestial_navigation, and place the data in the following respective directories:
../opencpn/plugins/climatology/data
../opencon/plugns/weather_routing/data
../opencpn/plugins/celestial_navigation/data
Old 01-07-2013, 07:14   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Kubek,

Thanks for tyring it. Yes, frustrating sometimes.. I noticed that path earlier and also wondered about it, however it works in my machine (win7pro dell xps 15 laptop) with both v3.2.0 and v3.3.604001, so lets first check some things.

I might try to change the path thing later, but I think the problem is related to the above items. If you get it going, let me know what makes it work please.

Reminder to others, don't forget to download data files for plugins climatology, weather_routing and celestial_navigation, and place the data in the following respective directories:
../opencpn/plugins/climatology/data
../opencon/plugns/weather_routing/data
../opencpn/plugins/celestial_navigation/data
Hi,

There was my fault, I made a mistake in word "celestial"

Kubek

---------------------------
OpenCPN Alert
Failed to load file:
C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenCPN\plugins/celestial_navigation/data/IGRF11.COF
Magnetic data will not be available for the celestial navigation plugin.
OK
kubek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 19:24   #84

The complete list of Linuxplugins in Post #80 above

Plugins Linux Directory

CL-DATA-5.7z
CL-DATA-5.zip
CL-DATA-README.txt
lib_celestial_navigation_lin64_pi18_v15_pi.so
lib_climatology_i386_pi19_v02_pi.so 6/25/13
lib_climatology_lin64_pi19_v02_pi.so 6/25/13
lib_rtldsr_lin64_pi18_v08_pi.so 6/25/13
lib_weather_routing_lin64_pi110_v07_pi.so 6/25/13
lib_weatherfax_lin64_pi18_v08_pi.so 6/25/13
Plugins-README-STOP
Old 01-07-2013, 19:28   #85

Kubek
Quote:
Kubek,
I am sorry the problem was I had not uploaded the proper file. Should be fixed now.
Old 21-07-2013, 07:20   #86

From reading Sean's github, it appears he has left us with some updates of Watchman, Climatology and Weather_Routing plugins. I've compiled them for Windows and will update the windows dll files in File Thingie later.
Old 31-08-2013, 06:22   #87

Plugins-Beta - Timplot & Watchman Updates
Sean has updated Trimplot and Watchman. They have been recomiled with bug fixes and changes.

For more details see end of these Threads

Trimplot
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1326909

Watchman
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1256392

Also Sean has updated

Weatherfax_pi has been updated, but does not yet compile due too nan output errors.

Climatology_pi to run with more extensive Current data (1992-2012) that I have downloaded (10gb) but we are having trouble with the makefile to filter, consolidate and compress the data.

Weatherrouting_pi which I had some questions for Sean before I try recompiling.

Once these are resolved and compiled we'll put them up for testing.
Old 07-09-2013, 13:25   #88

Plugins-Beta - Climatology Data Updates
Sean has updated Climatology Data, for inclusion of average Current from 1992-2012 rather than just one year of data.

For more details see end of Climatology
Old 09-09-2013, 16:33   #89

Tracker VOTING for Plugins has been enabled by Serge. Please VOTE in Tracker for all Plugin projects (upper right dropdown) for the Feature requests you'd like. Also please do make comments and add Feature Requests and Bug Reports. You'll need to register or log in to Vote, add items and make comments.

Tracker VOTING.
AIS Tracker
BSB-4
Calculator
Celestial Navigation

Climatology
Findit
GRadar

NV Charts

Routes
Rtlsdr
SAR

Watchman

Weatherfax

WeatherRouting
Old 09-09-2013, 17:55   #90

List of Plugin Threads. Please try to use these threads:
AIS Radar
Calculator
Celestial Navigation

Climatology
Climatology Database
Dashboard
Debugger
Grib Enhancements
New Grib
Google Earth
Logbook Konni
Internationalization (not a plugin, but useful)
Polars Konni
Radar Overlay
Route - Great Circle
Route Manager
Route Manager (error)
Rtlsdr - beta
SAR
Trimplot (Sail Trim) -beta

VDR
Watchman
Weather Routing