Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2013, 09:07   #31

Boat: 10.50 mètres
Re: Plugin Polar

Hello Konni, Hello RGLeason,

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
It would be awesome to have integration with Weather routing!
OpenCPN was a great quality: It was easy to utilisatioin. For users who need simple computer tools must OpenCPN that is easy to use.

So Grace, do not complicate their lives. Let maximum simplicity in plugins. Polar integrate another plugin would be a mistake.

Konni, I beg you. Be careful not to add too many options. We need your plugin is easy to use.

Best regards, Gilletarom.
Gilletarom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2013, 10:20   #32

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Gilletarom,

It does not need to be complicated, but it must work.

The plugin can remain separate from Weather-Routing, but the two plugins should be able to read/write the same Settings in the Opencpn.ini file for Polar Settings and data, I think. IE:
[Polar Settings]
[Polar title #1] = Title
[Description] = Description
[Polar Data] = Common Data set for both plugins, same format.
This may not be the exact formatting required, but I think you understand.
If Konni needs to add recording parameters, filters and ranges for boat speed, boat direction, wind speed, wind direction (Which I think will be necessary to get good reading and good polars) then he should determine the name, then if Sean's plugin needs that info sometime later, he can use it.

It has to be able to permit user adjustment of filters for Wind dir, Wind speed, etc because users will be recording nmea output in different conditions and using the plugin in different ways so that they can get the best Polar readings.

Rick
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2013, 22:31   #33

Hi,

I'm playing around with the polar option in Wheater Routing. I think a great option added to this. It says it can load a file. I assume a CSV-file, however when I press 'open' in the polar tab, it show "XML Weather Routing (*.cvs)". Please notice the difference in the file extension. Is CVS the correct extension?

One other question, what should be the lay-out of the polar data file? In the Netherlands there is a site from the so called "Watersportverbond" that has polar information from numerous boats http://www.watersportverbond.nl/ I'm curious if this information can be used in the polar part of the Weather Routing plugin.

thanks for your reply!
George64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2013, 04:30   #34

Thanks George for the Polar data, will post it on PC Sail thread where there is extensive discussion about measuring boat performance, obtaining polar data, calculating polar data with boat specification data and measuring polar data through nmea, etc.
Old 09-07-2013, 21:32   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by George64 View Post
Hi,

I'm playing around with the polar option in Wheater Routing. I think a great option added to this. It says it can load a file. I assume a CSV-file, however when I press 'open' in the polar tab, it show "XML Weather Routing (*.cvs)". Please notice the difference in the file extension. Is CVS the correct extension?

One other question, what should be the lay-out of the polar data file? In the Netherlands there is a site from the so called "Watersportverbond" that has polar information from numerous boats http://www.watersportverbond.nl/ I'm curious if this information can be used in the polar part of the Weather Routing plugin.

thanks for your reply!
Anyone??
Old 09-09-2013, 18:35   #36

Tracker VOTING for Plugins has been enabled by Serge. Please VOTE in Tracker for all Plugin projects (upper right dropdown) for the Feature requests you'd like. Also please do make comments and add Feature Requests and Bug Reports. You'll need to register or log in to Vote, add items and make comments.

Tracker VOTING.

Old 31-10-2013, 21:15   #37

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m

Where can I get the latest DLL for this. I'd like to have a try...
Thks
Neptune's Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2013, 16:39   #38

George64 wrote
Quote:
Is CVS the correct extension?
..depends--for what use? It is a text file and when correctly formatted, you could just change the extension, the formatting is what really counts. I haven't used polar files from the Polar plugin, in the Weather_Routing plugin, yet, but with some time and effort I have not doubt I could do it. The weather_routing plugin confirms to QtVlm format I believe. I would have to save the Polar Plugin file and look at it to determine what the format is....
Sorry, not to be more definitive right now, but I haven't dug into this much yet.

Quote:
Inspect the file with an editor like notepad++ to determine format.

NZ8720 Wrote:
Quote:
Where can I get the latest DLL for this. I'd like to have a try...
Thks
Opencpn Beta File Thingie File Thingie 2.5.7
Enter: rguser, rgpass
Goto the Plugins-Win-Opencpn-3.2.0 directory. There you will find a Polars file to download. I hope it works for you, it is what I used.
Old 16-11-2013, 22:00   #39

Thanks for your reply rgleason. I thought/assumed the .CVS was meant as a Comma Seperated Value file and therfor it should have a .CSV extension. One can open the file directly in Excel with a proper layout to do editing and save it according.
Old 17-11-2013, 06:05   #40

Yes, George64 CSV is comma separated value and readable by Excel too. I believe you can edit it in Excel too, but I have done that, I've used notepad++. Sorry for any confusion about that.

--We should be clarifying the structure of the various polar plugins for understanding.
Maxsea, qtVLM, OpenCPN Weather_Routing_pi plugin, etc. It might be helpful.

By the way, Polauto, a windows program, has a translation feature. Look under the PCSail thread towards the end. Its is good at recording polars on the fly too.

Has anyone actually tried the Polar plugin by Konni yet? Results would be very helpful. I've played Hartmut's nmea file with NavMonPC or VDR and OpenCpn and it works.
Old 05-07-2014, 15:26   #41

Summary of Konni's very promising Polar plugin
======
Konni advised Polar 0.5 is up:
Locations: https://github.com/konnibe/polar_pi
See polar_pi 0.5 12-13-06
OR http://sourceforge.net/projects/logbookocpn/files/polar_pi%200.4/
fixed the sash in the splitterwindow and the load-routine.
add "Max. only" to the windchoice which displays the best results
from all windforces.

Also Konni Logbook versions which also can provide Boat sail change information I believe.

Thoughts from some time ago:
Sean:
I have a patch to change the csv format so the weather routing plugin can read it. What sort of integration do you want to do with weather routing if any?
1. Make it easy to import polar plugin into the boat.
2. Take some logic out of weather routing and put into polar plugin.. like interpolation between degree steps using sailboat transform. So with only a few entrees in the table, the others can be closely guessed. Then those values might be in red or another color to indicate they are only computed, and would be replaced with real measurements as the are available.

Also:
1. Import other boat polar data?
2. The plugin can remain separate from Weather-Routing, but the two plugins should be able to read/write the same Settings in the Opencpn.ini file for Polar Settings and data, I think. IE:
[Polar Settings]
[Polar title #1] = Title
[Description] = Description
[Polar Data] = Common Data set for both plugins, same format.
This may not be the exact formatting required, but I think you understand.
If Konni needs to add recording parameters, filters and ranges for boat speed, boat direction, wind speed, wind direction (Which I think will be necessary to get good reading and good polars) then he should determine the name, then if Sean's plugin needs that info sometime later, he can use it.

It has to be able to permit user adjustment of filters for Wind dir, Wind speed, etc because users will be recording nmea output in different conditions and using the plugin in different ways so that they can get the best Polar readings.
Old 19-07-2014, 06:58   #42

I have tried to setup Polar_pi as a standalone compile plugin and am running into errors right now... can you help? Thanks.

have tried the modifications to standalone compile. I have some errors. Can you help me with this? Thanks. Rick
===
Trying to move routes_pi into standalone compile.
===
1. Have copied route_pi from opencpn compile directory to C:/.../o-plugin/route_pi
2 .Have made new folder ../o-plugin/route_pi/cmake
3. Have copied the files from /0-plugin/calculator/cmake to the route_pi/cmake directory.
4. Then made /o-plugin/route_pi/build directory.
5. Then cd build and type cmake ..
===
C:\Data-Dart\Up-Soft\Navigation\o-plugin\route_pi>cd build
C:\Data-Dart\Up-Soft\Navigation\o-plugin\route_pi\build>cmake ..
-- *** Building route_pi ***
CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:60 (INCLUDE):
include called with wrong number of arguments. Include only takes one file.

-- tinyxml library not found
CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:119 (ADD_DEPENDENCIES):
add_dependencies called with incorrect number of arguments

-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!

=============
cmakelist.txt
----------------------
#SET(wxWidgets_USE_LIBS base core net xml html adv)
#SET(BUILD_SHARED_LIBS TRUE)
#FIND_PACKAGE(wxWidgets REQUIRED)

INCLUDE(${wxWidgets_USE_FILE}) <--- Line 60

IF(WIN32)
SET(OPENCPN_IMPORT_LIB "../../${CMAKE_CFG_INTDIR}/${PARENT}")
TARGET_LINK_LIBRARIES( ${PACKAGE_NAME} ${OPENCPN_IMPORT_LIB} )
ADD_DEPENDENCIES(${PACKAGE_NAME} ${PARENT}) <------ Line 119
#TARGET_LINK_LIBRARIES( ${PACKAGE_NAME} C:/OSGeo4W/lib/iconv.lib )
ENDIF(WIN32)

Does error have something to do with lines 17 - 21 where to source_dir is set? (I've moved it all to C:/../o-plugin/route_pi ?
-----------------
PROJECT(route_pi)

SET(PACKAGE_NAME route_pi)
SET(PLUGIN_SOURCE_DIR .) <----Here?
MESSAGE (STATUS "*** Building ${PACKAGE_NAME} ***")

Old 19-07-2014, 07:04   #43

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Rick,

I think it's up to the plugin maintainer to make these changes if they decide to.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2014, 07:26   #44

Boat: Amel Sharki

Rick,

I have decided to switch back from the standalone plugin compiling in my programming environment because it makes no sense and has no benefits for me. Standalone compiled plugins are larger and fixing issues in the same file at several locations (main and plugins) is a nightmare. I do not use cmake and command line however.

Gerhard
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2014, 08:17   #45

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Gerhard,

Is it possible you can create dmg install images for specific plugins? Otherwise it's fine for me if all users of macosx must compile the plugins they use from source.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote