Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-04-2019, 05:57   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: W Carib
Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Posts: 11,069
Plugin Names Linux

To install plugins under Linux you need to know the plugin package name. Example:

"sudo apt-get install opencpn-plugin <PLUGIN_NAME>"

Where can I find a list of plugin package names?
__________________

belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2019, 06:40   #2
Senior Cruiser
 
sailorF54's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Perros-Guirec, France
Boat: Jeanneau Sunshine 36
Posts: 979
Re: Plugin Names Linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
To install plugins under Linux you need to know the plugin package name. Example:

"sudo apt-get install opencpn-plugin <PLUGIN_NAME>"

Where can I find a list of plugin package names?

One way to find it (Ubuntu)



1 - Use the following PPA
2 - Then use synaptic


PS There may be a better way...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture d’écran du 2019-04-29 15-35-39.png
Views:	30
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	190999   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture d’écran du 2019-04-29 15-37-00.png
Views:	28
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	191000  

__________________

sailorF54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2019, 07:39   #3
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: W Carib
Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Posts: 11,069
Re: Plugin Names Linux

Yes, I just found them under Raspian's (Debian derivative for Raspberry Pi) "PiPackages"...which of course eliminates the need to know them for the CLI...just click and install instead.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2019, 09:10   #4
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 6
Re: Plugin Names Linux

In a console window try
dpkg -l|grep opencpn
This should give you a list of all opencpn packages available for your system.

Take care,

Sean
disputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2019, 09:36   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Montreal
Boat: Boatless, looking for a cat
Posts: 21
Re: Plugin Names Linux

apt-cache search opencpn
scargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2019, 09:36   #6
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: W Carib
Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Posts: 11,069
Re: Plugin Names Linux

Thanks guys.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2019, 09:50   #7
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Helsingborg
Boat: Dufour 35
Posts: 3,554
Re: Plugin Names Linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by disputin View Post
In a console window try
dpkg -l|grep opencpn
This should give you a list of all opencpn packages available for your system.

Take care,

Sean
A lot of packages does not contain 'opencpn' in the name, but does contain it in the description. One example is "oesenc_pi". The command
Quote:
apt-cache search opencpn
returns a more complete listing.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2019, 15:21   #8
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: May 2013
Location: Norway
Posts: 681
Re: Plugin Names Linux

Or to install Opencpn and all plugins if using Ubuntu:


Code:
 sudo apt-get install opencpn*

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
A lot of packages does not contain 'opencpn' in the name, but does contain it in the description. One example is "oesenc_pi". The command

returns a more complete listing.

Thomas
petter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2019, 16:53   #9
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: On the go. Not in Prague.
Posts: 5,226
Re: Plugin Names Linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by petter5 View Post
Or to install Opencpn and all plugins if using Ubuntu:


Code:
 sudo apt-get install opencpn*
This will unfortunately not install the plugins not following the naming convention, like the forementioned oesenc_pi...
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2019, 18:38   #10
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: W Carib
Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Posts: 11,069
Re: Plugin Names Linux

Are all plugins available under Linux or are some just under Windows?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2019, 18:57   #11
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: On the go. Not in Prague.
Posts: 5,226
Re: Plugin Names Linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Are all plugins available under Linux or are some just under Windows?
The only strictly Windows-only plugins are https://opencpn.org/OpenCPN/plugins/bsb4.html and https://opencpn.org/OpenCPN/plugins/googleearth.html because of the APIs they rely on being only available there, all the others may work everywhere, given someone took the time to make them available for the respective platform. Which of course is valid the other way around, not all the plugins are primarily available or developed for Windows.
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2019, 09:50   #12
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: W Carib
Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Posts: 11,069
Re: Plugin Names Linux

Thanks
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2019, 11:55   #13
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Helsingborg
Boat: Dufour 35
Posts: 3,554
Re: Plugin Names Linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
The only strictly Windows-only plugins are https://opencpn.org/OpenCPN/plugins/bsb4.html and https://opencpn.org/OpenCPN/plugins/googleearth.html because of the APIs they rely on being only available there, all the others may work everywhere, given someone took the time to make them available for the respective platform. Which of course is valid the other way around, not all the plugins are primarily available or developed for Windows.
Same thing for the nv charts plugin for the same reasons https://opencpn.org/OpenCPN/plugins/nvcharts.html.

Thomas
__________________

cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
linux, plug

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Does the findit plugin work in the 4.8 Linux release? Firestorm OpenCPN 1 19-10-2017 19:16
Plugin development... How to receive chart objects in my plugin? dmartinez OpenCPN 6 04-08-2017 00:56
BsB4 plugin for Linux? jakobcornelis OpenCPN 6 01-06-2017 09:12
Google Earth plugin for Linux abinp12 OpenCPN 4 30-06-2016 05:38
New Plugin Development on Linux globalkeith OpenCPN 5 03-05-2012 07:16



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 21:33.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.