Re: Plugin: DashBoard

sorry for some typos...
Sailing Hanse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2011, 11:06   #77

Boat: Phantom 19

Hanse,
impressive work
I see you didn't go the plugin way you planned, was it not possible technically or did you just decide it doesn't suit your goals?

Pavel
nohal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2011, 11:50   #78

Boat: Flush Poker, 8.25m (Point Barre)

Well, first a few points:
- we're not trying to mimic other software or appliance but take the best of all and create our own experience.
- what I expect from a dashboard is different from you and different from anyone else.

Competition is good but I personally prefer to help enhancing an existing project than creating my own, even if (slightly) different. Ideas are welcome, so are patches. We've worked hard to get here, the dashboard is just a very small part of it. With more time and more people, it could be far better, sure.

To me the whole polar thing is out of the dashboard purpose. It'd require another plugin eventually with communication channels with others plugins (dashboard) to create graphs or any usefull display.

The top compass can be done very easily, with just a few lines of code in the current dashboard implementation. I did not thought about it and until now, we could not dock a dashboard to the top. I don't like that kind of display wasting lot of space for only one information, anyway, patch welcome.

The logbook should be a separate plugin. It's a matter of hours to get it done, no one did yet. It could replace current one. No relation with the dashboard purpose. Would be easier to configure what should be saved, how often, where, etc.

Same for the NMEA save & replay feature. Maybe included with the logbook or separate plugin. We're lacking proper API for pusing NMEA data from a plugin.

PS: I cannot test your work because I'm only working on GNU/Linux (Fedora here)

Thanks,
Jean-Eudes
SethDart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2011, 13:04   #79

Hi Pavel,
thxs for thumbs up ! I played with the plugin features from OCPN. With very much respect to all the guys contributing, but this is like programming in a prison... You don't get what you need...
To SethDart: i'm not trying to undermine the enhancement of OCPN. On the contrary ! That's also the reason why i try to stay close to OCPN to get a good tandem program adding a few features. if i remember right: OCPN wants to stay lean and mean interface, features can be added by programs gravitating around the main program... adding a richer visual display. For the rest: i didn't count the number of additional plugins needed in your mail but i'm just combining these into 1 small additional program. if you don't want the top compass band, you can simply disable it in the configuration settings... so no problem. If you don't want the rest, you can delete the program... but i'll continue writing and finishing this program, publish the code and have fun with it.

With all respect to developpers of OCPN, with the explicit demand to let the open source open to alternative ideas, i wish you all a good night from Belgium !!
Old 16-03-2011, 13:38   #80

Crosscompiling to linux is on the todo list, but i'll first finish a stable windows version.
Old 17-03-2011, 01:08   #81

Boat: Amel Sharki

SailingHanse,

could you please look for a better *.ini file and settings handling?

Gerhard
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 01:37   #82

Boat: Outremer 4X

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
Transparent success!
And it didn't hurt that much...
Docked windows are a different story and need a totally different approach of course.

Pavel
Hi Pavel

Great ! I can confirm this also works on Mac OSX Cocoa.
I like the idea with toggling-possibility by hotkey and background-color chooser in the preferences.
I'll be away the next 10 days for sailing in turkey, maybe I find some time to play around with this

Patrick
Patg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 01:58   #83

Patrick,
I have send you a Privat Message. Can you please respond before leaving?
Gerhard
Old 17-03-2011, 10:53   #84

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia

Hanse, maybeyou also want to study navmonpc for inspiration

NavMonPc

Except for the fact that its closed source and single platform only..
Old 17-03-2011, 11:19   #85

hi,

carcode: i'm aware of incomplete ini handling. Is still work in progress. Can you specify your observations to be shure i don't miss anything important ?
idpnd: can you clarify. i know navmonpc but i don't know what you have in mind ?

a litle clarification on the work in progress:
first prioirities:
-complete logbook handling.
-complete ini file handling
-getting rid of VSPE as interface between OCPN & my program (VSPE is not bad, but i think we don't need it)
-make user guide

second priorities:
-complete analysis of polar based on trip data
-more debugging

the rest of ideas will follow later on
Old 17-03-2011, 12:52   #86

SalingHanse,

if have had a short look only and was impressed what you have done.
I know very little about Windows, it is not my favorite OS. I think however the *.ini file and the handling of the other files in the Windows file system was strange. So I have had to alter some lines in the ini file by hand to make your soft running. The main settings window seems not to do that. May be you add a file requester for the user? So he knows or can define where to store the data files.

BTW, OpenCPN writes any half an hour a line into his log with Lat/Lon, COG and SOG by default. Perhaps you may use this for your Logbook.

Gerhard
Old 17-03-2011, 16:16   #87

The new DashBoard plugin is a great improvement! Maybe you could use anti aliased graphics for the gauges? I think that would look better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethDart View Post
Hi all,

Here's the first version of the DashBoard plugin, made from the demo plugin from Dave.

Display Lat, Lon, COG, SOG from NMEA stream in a wxMiniFrame.
Fonts can be changed by user in global settings.

I created a basic DashboardInstrument class, that'll be expanded to handle:
- analog data display (done)
- compass
- "speedometer" view
- "wind" view
and maybe
- depth
- GPS status
- route overview
- chart overview

For now there's no way to change colors, I choose Blue ; might change. Maybe there'll be a way to manage colors in OpenCPN some day?

I also plan to create an option form to select instruments to display, reorder them, select NMEA fields...
The current right-button menu might change to a top panel button when it's more mature.

I choose to use a wxMiniFrame instead of the wxWindow used by Dave. It might change.

There'll be more patches as I complete any of the features I'm currently working on

More to come ASAP, comments welcome!

PS: I'll post these patches to the tracker soon.
stensmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 00:13   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethDart View Post
Hi all,

Here's the first version of the DashBoard plugin, made from the demo plugin from Dave.

Display Lat, Lon, COG, SOG from NMEA stream in a wxMiniFrame.
Fonts can be changed by user in global settings.

I created a basic DashboardInstrument class, that'll be expanded to handle:
- analog data display (done)
- compass
- "speedometer" view
- "wind" view
and maybe
- depth
- GPS status
- route overview
- chart overview

For now there's no way to change colors, I choose Blue ; might change. Maybe there'll be a way to manage colors in OpenCPN some day?

I also plan to create an option form to select instruments to display, reorder them, select NMEA fields...
The current right-button menu might change to a top panel button when it's more mature.

I choose to use a wxMiniFrame instead of the wxWindow used by Dave. It might change.

There'll be more patches as I complete any of the features I'm currently working on

More to come ASAP, comments welcome!

PS: I'll post these patches to the tracker soon.
Love the plugin, and haven't seen it mentioned here yet, but how about the cursor position info (position, bearing & range) from the status line into a dashboard module - would make it much easier to read :-)

Dave
djgrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 06:58   #89

I'd like to second the request for an instrument that showed cursor position and its range and bearing from the boat.

Coleman
cblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 10:56   #90

There is a position dashboard already.

But what is wrong with the status bar, it has all of that info and more, uses very little screen real estate and is always available, provided you have it turned on in settings?
Littlechay is offline   Reply With Quote