Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2013, 06:05   #226

Boat: SUN ODYSSEY 40
Re: Plugin: DashBoard

Hi Asinc,

If you are using WIMDA sentence (nmea0183) your preasure will be logged into Logbookkonni ;-) I'm using also BMP085 sensor with Arduino uno (and others sensors)
Konni add this one due to my request
edelvoilier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:32   #227

Boat: Mirage 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by edelvoilier View Post
Hi Asinc,

If you are using WIMDA sentence (nmea0183) your preasure will be logged into Logbookkonni ;-) I'm using also BMP085 sensor with Arduino uno (and others sensors)
Konni add this one due to my request
I tried changing my sentence and it isn't showing up in the logbook. Can you provide an example string? Do you know what version this was added?
asinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 13:41   #228

Boat: Mirage 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by asinc View Post
I tried changing my sentence and it isn't showing up in the logbook. Can you provide an example string? Do you know what version this was added?
Here is the string I tried sending. It isn't showing up in the logbook.

"$WIMDA,29.796,I,1.009,B,31.7,C,,,,,,,82.3,T,72.3, M,7.4,N,3.8,M*23"
asinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:30   #229

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

There are two types of Calculated VMG Velocity Made Good that would be very useful, in addition to VMG from instruments.
1. VMGm = Calculated VMG to Mark
2. VMGw = Calculated VMG to Wind Direction
3. VMGn = From Nmea and instruments
Perhaps these should all be separate items in Dashboard?

Why?

When sailing upwind or downwind, VMGw (to Wind direction) is a much more useful gauge because it remains constant and is a good yardstick for maintaining optimum angle and speed.

When sailing upwind or downwind, VMGm (to Mark) varies the closer you get to the mark.

Would it be possible to impliment this please? I've put in Tracker.
rgleason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:53   #230

What data/information is necessary to make VMG (as it is currently) and True Heading to show data? I have used all available nmea files that I have, with VDR and NavMonPC and I have only seen Mag Heading.

I think I've tested all the other data types and they show data.

Has the True Wind Heading been fixed?

Under Preferences it would be helpful to have the option for, a given setup, to select Long data type names (as they are now) or Short data type names.
Then if you are making a "Text-only" panel, be able to widen the Data Display window and have "Data Name (much smaller): Value" format show.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:00   #231

I note that there are many items in the Tracker pi- Dashboard Task list that may be dated and ask if someone can go through an mark which bugs have been taken care of and which features have already been implimented? If you want just leave a comment with details about your thoughts on the task and weather the task should be closed.

I will also try to whittle this list down to become current.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:01   #232

I've gone through pi_dashboard once making comments and adding Tags in the heading so that if you sort on the "Tasklist" "Summary" these items become more ordered.

Your comments and thoughts about closing items would be appreciated. We would like to get this down to a short list. Also VOTE for items! If you think something should be closed ask in comments and say why please.
Old 09-09-2013, 18:28   #233

Tracker VOTING for Plugins has been enabled by Serge. Please VOTE in Tracker for all Plugin projects (upper right dropdown) for the Feature requests you'd like. Also please do make comments and add Feature Requests and Bug Reports. You'll need to register or log in to Vote, add items and make comments.

Tracker VOTING.
Dashboard

Old 28-09-2013, 17:25   #234

Jean-Eudes Onfray Seth-Dart

I would like to know what the Programming "Mission" of DASHBOARD because it seems to be Opencpn's Instrument interface, is that correct?

How would you explain the purpose of this Base Plugin?

The reason I ask, is I am trying to find or create a home for a set of Nav features that are primarily for sailors who are more concerned about Wind (True /Apparent), Leeway, Tide, and sailing performance. I do not know if these feature requests should be in Dashboard or in some other location.

As Dashboard has evolved, it is starting to do some of the jobs I would like to see for sailors, such as History. I'd like to note so you are aware of it, that Sean DePagnier has created a plugin called Trimplot for Sail Trim, which is very much like history, but a little different. It is a tool for checking performance.

I'd like to reference Tactic Tool : Sail Faster Software which has many features to enable sailing performance, would there ever be a possibility of a special "Sailing" version of Dashboard with some of these features?

Also see the Tracker Opencpn Features NAV items for examples.

Your answers to these questions will determine how we handle Feature Requests for Performance Sailing Instrumentation and Tools (NAV), in Tracker.
Old 29-09-2013, 00:56   #235

Boat: Najad 34

Rick.. (long time no seen/read -- been sailing)
If your purpose is to discuss a possible module dividing in to two parts, one for racers and one for "lazy" cruisers, it feels for me somewhat right. In that case I'm the lazy one and not so interested in, for example, forced sail trim and don't need to load my running application with that possible heavy stuff.
Or are my conclusions a result of a misunderstanding?
/Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2013, 03:51   #236

I understand your concern about "heavy" stuff on your computer.
Some of the items would be useful to all. Others would be instrument tools oriented to performance. I believe Dashboard has all the data required, with some derived calculations and some special display needed. Maybe it does not bog down the system, particularly if those items are not selected? -I don't know how it works.

On the other hand, Sean started Trimplot, a quick beginning, which could be expanded. The tool I am think of would duplicate a good deal of Dashboard however.
Old 21-12-2013, 18:47   #237

Boat: Shopping for a 30-ish cat

I'm having a blast setting up OpenCPN and tweaking some of the settings. One thing I haven't found, is there anyway to edit the colors and fonts of the DashBoard?

Edit: Found this post here: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1094389 that will help me get started. Does anyone have the xml code for a black or dark grey background for the instruments?
prof_mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 02:44   #238

Quote:
Originally Posted by prof_mariner View Post
I'm having a blast setting up OpenCPN and tweaking some of the settings. One thing I haven't found, is there anyway to edit the colors and fonts of the DashBoard?

Edit: Found this post here: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1094389 that will help me get started. Does anyone have the xml code for a black or dark grey background for the instruments?
I modified the dark color of the plugin itself
color in this post
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1096811
Attached Files
File Type: doc dashboard_pi.dll.doc (308.0 KB, 64 views)
Baikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 07:00   #239

Thanks Baikal. The .xml file in the linked post worked, but the .dll you posted didn't work. I'm using the currently released version of OpenCPN with Windows 8.
Old 22-12-2013, 07:37   #240

I'm trying to change the fonts in the DashBoard (through the plugin's settings) and am not getting the results I want. I'm using a custom font (Digital-7 font by Style-7 - FontSpace) and want to set the color to lime green. I'm also using Baikal's black background .xml file. I see in the plugin settings that the font color is black, yet in the .xml settings and on the screen it is white.

Can I change both the .xml and plugin settings, or only one or the other? It seems that the .xml settings over-ride the plugin settings?

I'm also going to have to change the font spacing or kerning settings, are these in a .xml file also?

Sorry for the pesky questions, I'm just having a bunch of fun tweaking OpenCPN.