Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2014, 22:15   #16

Boat: crowther trimaran 33
Re: Plug Ins for Mac OSX

I would be happy to compile opencpn, and all the plugins as well as fix issues for osx. Then I can provide you the binaries, as well as fix bugs I encounter along the way. There are a lot of OSX specific cases in the main program that are handled inefficiently which could be optimized as well.

Unfortunately I do not have a mac book (or any other computer for that matter) Please pm me if you have a spare machine you could send me for this purpose.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 01:43   #17

Boat: Amel Sharki

Strange, you have never seen a Mac but you know "There are a lot of OSX specific cases in the main program that are handled inefficiently"?

Gerhard
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 06:24   #18

Boat: Phantom 19

Yes, he can read...
nohal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 06:47   #19

Strange thing also he has wrote many plugins but none of them is optimized for OS X?
Gerhard
Old 02-02-2014, 06:50   #20

Yes Gerhard, it is a strange thing about plugins developed by people not having access to a Mac, they are not optimized for it... But I think we already talked about it a few times, so refer to those threads.
Old 02-02-2014, 07:12   #21

I am doubtfull about people which offers OS X optimized software when one give them for free a Mac engine. Furthermore when they don't know about the OS.
Old 02-02-2014, 07:36   #22

I'm doubtful about a lot of things. Looking at the current code and Sean's optimizations for the other platforms, that he can optimize the performance on Mac is definitely not one of them. But it is just me. And I'm a Macless lesser being, so my opinion certainly does not count.
Old 02-02-2014, 08:25   #23
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Gerhard,

a brand new Mac_mini from the Phillipine Apple shop costs 490€.

How much do you want to risk to get the Mac environment in a foreseable time frame improved?
Risk funding. In order to bring things forward....

Hubert
bcn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 09:02   #24

In my opinion it is not the goal of open-source to ask for money.

Gerhard
Old 02-02-2014, 09:08   #25

Yes, the goal of open source is to give people like you the opportunity to build their private, much better, versions, with code not shared with anyone and constantly listen how silly we are. Thanks for reminding, I almost forgot why I do this
Old 02-02-2014, 09:11   #26
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Not the goal for sure - but if equipment is required and it speeds up things.
Remember the (succesful) fund raising for the Garmin Radar last year.
From my side no problem to commit some Pesos.
And I bet that in this case they are productive.

Obviously nobody is asked to give his last coat away.

Hubert
bcn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 14:38   #27

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Hubert told me to look at this thread. I have been trying to figure out about Sean's computer (from another thread). If I am going to be contributing time and effort to Opencpn, I want Sean on the team! So what is necessary to make that happen????
---He has already told us!!!
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 15:12   #28

Sean,

This is to let you know that I am going to contribute towards a computer. I can't imagine working on Opencpn without your talents and contributions, so hopefully others will pitch in too.
I think I'll use your "About the Author" webpage About with the paypal donate button in your website. If you think a Mac is the answer and that it can run Windows and Linux to in a Virtual Machine, that's fine with me too. I think it would be great to fully support the Mac and I hope the community will see how your offer will help all Mac users too.

No doubt you will be able to salvage the hard drive and put it in a case with USB connection to use as additional backup, and you will find uses for the other parts, being a clever guy into Sustainability and Reuse, and I expect they will be used for boat control of some sort.

Also I really like what you are doing wiith Optimizing OpenCPN

Best
Rick
Old 04-02-2014, 04:57   #29

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarCode View Post
In my opinion it is not the goal of open-source to ask for money.

Gerhard
I think this depends on the individual and the particular open source license. In the case of the GPL (which opencpn uses) this is certainly not the case. The goal is to promote free software; money has nothing to do with this. Free meaning all of the users are guaranteed the freedoms described in the license. This is freedom, not free (as in without payment). In any case I wasn't asking for money, not on this thread, only for a computer to develop free software. As we all know there are plenty of wealthy people using this forum, so I figured it is likely that someone has an older spare machine they weren't using which I could put it to good use, if not, then I cannot do anything. That is all.

My personal situation is that I have no income last 5 years, and I am sailing to many countries on a budget of less than $100 per month. It is difficult for me to buy a computer, because I need what money I have to stock the boat for a possible passage to japan and alaska, and my eee pc 900a died. So now I am looking into un-soldering the surface mount bios chip so I can reprogram it with a raspberry pi in the hope that the bios was corrupted and can be fixed this way, we will see.

As for optimizing macosx... lets see what comes to mind first: #ifdefs specific to this architecture which invoke a glDrawPixels call, this is obviously very slow and easy to fix. But there are many many cases for improvement on all architectures, and this will always be the case. Then there are the cases where the user interface is different for osx and offers the user less options. I can tell this from reading the code, so I can only imagine what I could determine with callgrind.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 06:10   #30

Pavel wrote:
Quote:
Yes, the goal of open source is to give people like you the opportunity to build their private, much better, versions, with code not shared with anyone and constantly listen how silly we are. Thanks for reminding, I almost forgot why I do this
I did not know this was the purpose of Open Source. I think of it differently. Thanks for sharing this with us Pavel. Nevertheless, I think this community is a remarkable, strong community, and I do think Gerhard is a part of it and is sharing and participating by his strong opinions, and perhaps he will improve by not being so shy with "his" code. --Perhaps he should not be so insecure about how good his code is. [I can say this because I am still in the neophyte stage as far as coding.] I can see no reason for not sharing improvements....!!

Tags
plug