Boat: Rangeboat 39
Plug-in activation/disabling - confused users

In the last time we had several users that stumbled over the following:
Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-02-23 10_36_33-OpenCPN 4.8.0.png
Views:	110
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	164660
They take the button as the status, not as a switch, click on it and are happy to see that the plug-in is now enable(d).

Usually a plug-in gets installed and there it is, preferences are rarely modified and the the plug-in gets not disabled. Few people access the settings of the plug-ins.

In oeSENC this is different as one will have to go to Preferences to generate the fingerprint. So everybody does. And then notices the "disable" button, takes it as a status not a switch and changes this status happily. With the result that "there are no charts, my charts are not recognized..."

Generally plug-ins are active when installed, with the exception of WMM.
But in that case, when accessing the settings, you will do this in order to activate it, so you know what you are going for.

I would suggest to modify all plug-ins passing to radio buttons for this function:
Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-02-23 11_07_37-_Neues Dokument 1 - Inkscape.png
Views:	181
Size:	174.4 KB
ID:	164661

bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2018, 03:05   #2

Boat: 10.50 mètres
Re: Plug-in activation/disabling - confused users

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn View Post
In the last time we had several users that stumbled over the following:
They take the button as the status, not as a switch, click on it and are happy to see that the plug-in is now enable(d).

Usually a plug-in gets installed and there it is, preferences are rarely modified and the the plug-in gets not disabled. Few people access the settings of the plug-ins.

In oeSENC this is different as one will have to go to Preferences to generate the fingerprint. So everybody does. And then notices the "disable" button, takes it as a status not a switch and changes this status happily. With the result that "there are no charts, my charts are not recognized..."

Generally plug-ins are active when installed, with the exception of WMM.
But in that case, when accessing the settings, you will do this in order to activate it, so you know what you are going for.

I would suggest to modify all plug-ins passing to radio buttons for this function:
I agree, good idea.
Gilletarom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
plug