Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2018, 10:53   #31
Registered User
 
NahanniV's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: On the Boat
Boat: Finnsailer 38
Posts: 1,197
Re: OS Raspberry specific RPI

I'm back to looking at OpenCPN on RPi after a few years absence (out cruising).

I've got a new setup with the latest RPi3B+ and a 32G SD card.
Using Open plotter with the latest upgrades 1.02.
RPi OS upgraded to latest kernel as well.
Display is QHD (2560 1440) but the RPI OS seems to only go as high as HD (1920 x 1080),

Downloaded hi-res base maps and raster charts for great lakes using chart down-loader.
OpenCPN works OK but seems slow when panning and zooming.

Next I tried enabling OpenGL.
Tried several different combinations: hardwareGL, softwareGL, texture compression, but I seem to get crashes that hang the system and require a power cycle to get started again.

I see suggestions of enabling swap space, but not sure how that should be done ?
Can you use the SD card as swap ? Seems like a bad idea. Is USB RAM available ?
How exactly can I determine if I am running out of memory?

To anyone who has this working well, can you let me know about your system ?
What charts ?
What screen resolution ?
What settings in "Old Raspberry config" ?
What settings in OpenCPN ?
Anything else that needs to be configured or updated ?
__________________

__________________
Cheers,
JM
nahannivatsea.blogspot.ca
NahanniV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 14:15   #32
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Netherlands
Boat: Halmatic 30
Posts: 479
Re: OS Raspberry specific RPI

Quote:
Originally Posted by NahanniV View Post
I'm back to looking at OpenCPN on RPi after a few years absence (out cruising).

I've got a new setup with the latest RPi3B+ and a 32G SD card.
Using Open plotter with the latest upgrades 1.02.
RPi OS upgraded to latest kernel as well.
Display is QHD (2560 1440) but the RPI OS seems to only go as high as HD (1920 x 1080),

Downloaded hi-res base maps and raster charts for great lakes using chart down-loader.
OpenCPN works OK but seems slow when panning and zooming.

Next I tried enabling OpenGL.
Tried several different combinations: hardwareGL, softwareGL, texture compression, but I seem to get crashes that hang the system and require a power cycle to get started again.

I see suggestions of enabling swap space, but not sure how that should be done ?
Can you use the SD card as swap ? Seems like a bad idea. Is USB RAM available ?
How exactly can I determine if I am running out of memory?

To anyone who has this working well, can you let me know about your system ?
What charts ?
What screen resolution ?
What settings in "Old Raspberry config" ?
What settings in OpenCPN ?
Anything else that needs to be configured or updated ?

NV,

OpenCPN is working fast here. With OpenGL on in OpenCPN. And the OpenGL driver on. You can find this driver in terminal:

raspi-config > advanced and then switching on the OpenGL driver.

Don't use texture caching in OpenCPN. If I switch this on once I get screen problems and these can only be removed by wiping out the opencpn.conf this starts a new setup of OpenCPN.

You can also update Linux:

apt update
then

apt upgrade

there a a lot of monitor settings you can do manual in the config.txt.

Bram
__________________

verkerkbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 10:56   #33
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 4
Re: OS Raspberry specific RPI

Bram,

I am having the same problem as NV. Turned on the opengl driver and rebooted. Nothing changed. Panning and zooming is very slow.

Mike
mikedodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 11:42   #34
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Netherlands
Boat: Halmatic 30
Posts: 479
Re: OS Raspberry specific RPI

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedodd View Post
Bram,

I am having the same problem as NV. Turned on the opengl driver and rebooted. Nothing changed. Panning and zooming is very slow.

Mike

Mike,

it is working here fast. Is it perhaps your monitor that slows down the framerate.

Do a try from another system with VNC client (realvnc). This is also working reasonable fast.

See my video of the VNC client.

You also can make the system faster by the settings in OpenCPN.


Regards,




Bram
verkerkbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 12:10   #35
Registered User
 
NahanniV's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: On the Boat
Boat: Finnsailer 38
Posts: 1,197
Re: OS Raspberry specific RPI

I'd be interested to hear what resolution your monitors are.
Mine is 1920*1080.
Perhaps that is too big for the Rpi ?
__________________
Cheers,
JM
nahannivatsea.blogspot.ca
NahanniV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 14:09   #36
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Netherlands
Boat: Halmatic 30
Posts: 479
Re: OS Raspberry specific RPI

Quote:
Originally Posted by NahanniV View Post
I'd be interested to hear what resolution your monitors are.
Mine is 1920*1080.
Perhaps that is too big for the Rpi ?

NV,
That resolution is supported. You can use the RPI on your HD TV set also.

Latest kernel versions have an improved video performence.

You can get the latest kernel version with sudo rpi-update.

Did you switch on the texture caching before ? I had some problems after using thies setting. The only way out was to remove the opencpn.conf. Then a new config set is made and you have to do the settings again.

opencpn.conf is in the folder .opencpn. This folder is hide. But you can make these folders visible with Ctrl H in the file manager.

But using the screen on another computer or an Ipad with a VNC client gives also the impression about the framerate.

Also look at the OpenCPN settings. What charts are you using ?

Bram
verkerkbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 16:41   #37
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 4
Re: OS Raspberry specific RPI

Bram.

Thanks for the help. I used my laptop as a remote desktop. Still slow. Went back to my tv monitor and toggled between full screen and split screen. Panning and zooming increasingly got better. Also it seems faster when units are set at degrees, decimal minutes. It is working fine now.
Mike
mikedodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2018, 17:35   #38
Registered User
 
Ivanm's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 137
Re: OS Raspberry specific RPI

Where do I find the s57 data folder in Openplotter
__________________

Ivanm is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rpi OpenCPN System - recommendations geoffr OpenCPN 17 01-02-2017 10:45
Rpi 3/2 hardware opengl and Vector charts jimseng OpenCPN 16 09-04-2016 18:10
Rpi 3 hangs when zoomed out. jimseng OpenCPN 14 11-03-2016 20:53
Raspbian Jessie for RPi duichan OpenCPN 3 29-09-2015 16:47
AIS on RPI not working gbgb OpenCPN 6 10-06-2015 11:29



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:50.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.