Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2014, 04:44   #31

Boat: BENETEAU
Re: Optimized Opencpn: Testers Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by AISEAG View Post
Sean, hakan,

If you wish, I can create a project into Tracket/Flyspay to get all the reamrks, information, ... about this promising Version of O ?

Serge
Hi Testers,

A specific project has been created on TRACKER/Flyspray to gather all your rmarks, comments, bugs reports....

Feel free to use it.

OpenCPN 3.3x. optimized by Sean

Serge
AISEAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 06:01   #32

Hakan
thanks, downloaded OCPN.exe, Your #20,
got total chaos and solved it by try and error:

Have WIN 7, Intel i7 @ 2.4Ghz as "master"
RAM 8GB
Graphik Intel HD Graphics 4000
com4, 36800, GPS, Prolific, working good
TCP SF-HD (down) and ais1.shipraiser.net
UDP to "slave" with OCPN 3.3.1303 -p
slave is WIN7 Tablett with USB-KB, slower and less RAM than "master".

PC's: master on, slave off:
unchecked all TCP's, connected ais1.shipraiser via GPSD !! and
Compass indicator showed
AIS - Sweden worked
OpenGL worked, but all options with "smooth" locked OCPN, shutdown only with Taskmanager possible,
raster-, vector- and CM-2 charts ok
watching the ferries on Öresund.

Both PC's on, on master only GPS, on slave only TCP - AIS connected, UDP woked in both directions ok, some filtering was used (thanks to comment of Hakan).
I cannot point to the errors in programms, as I am a stoneage-electrical-engineer.
I will be glad to answer questions.

Gnomon
Gnomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 09:33   #33

Boat: Najad 34

Hi all...
Did you know???------(I didnt'): When starting Opencpn by a exe file not called Opencpn.exe but something else like in my case opencpn_sean.exe a new directory for .ini and log files are created!!. I run into that when i was lazy enough to not rename the exe files every time I changed between the original and Sean's opencpn but created a new shortcut pointing to opencpn_sean.exe. Then a new ini file was accordingly created. That's grate! Now I can switch between the two versions without interfering each ini files.
And even more!:
My previous failures list for Sean's version has to be revised. With its own ini file and not reading the original version's file some features are now working. Like for instance the network AIS feed connection. And I use OpenGL BUT not in combination with any plugin. Activation of Dashboard_pi or Grib_pi results in a total crash.
So...more testing...I'll come back.

Gnomon.. You'r welcome. Chaos is nice especially when solved....
Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 12:02   #34

Boat: Hylas 44

This patch restores TCP AIS connections.

Code:
diff --git a/src/datastream.cpp b/src/datastream.cpp
index 491b47d..8c5a237 100644
--- a/src/datastream.cpp
+++ b/src/datastream.cpp
@@ -404,7 +404,7 @@ void DataStream::OnSocketReadWatchdogTimer(wxTimerEvent& event)

void DataStream::OnTimerSocket(wxTimerEvent& event)
 {
-    return;
+//    return;
     //  Attempt a connection
     wxSocketClient* tcp_socket = dynamic_cast<wxSocketClient*>(m_sock);
ChuckSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2014, 00:11   #35

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarCode View Post
try to use github.app from GitHub for Mac

Building 32bit or 64bit depends first on your compiler settings (arch i386 or arch x86_64) and second on the used wxWidgets version (2.8.12 for 32bit and 2.9 or higher for 64bit).
GitHub requires OS X 10.7 or higher; I have 10.6.8 so not possible. I'm downloading the .zip now, but of course it would have been better to use GitX as I will now have to redownload the repository for each update.

I understand the compiler switches and wxWidgets versioning; my question was whether this version supports one, the other, or both. In the past OCPN only supported 32 bit Carbon for Mac (and used wxWidgets 2.8.x), then was updated for Cocoa/64 bit and wxWdigets 2.9.x. I am not clear if this version has been adapted for 64/2.9.x for the Mac. Ideally I would build both 32 and 64, for 10.6, and then extend back to 10.5. If I get time I might even try for 32 bit PPC with 10.4 if that looks feasible.

Looking forward to wxWidgets 3.0 use - at least in theory.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2014, 00:52   #36

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

To start off.. I took many suggested changes (and hopefully fixed the crash) and updated this in git.. so test again.

To clear a few things up... there are some bug fixes and various improvements that are not related to opengl, but for the most part this patch is only dealing with opengl things.. and on really fast computers you might not notice a lot.. but this is only the first (of 3) planned passes at optimization.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn View Post
Sean,

what about multiple viewports? With individual settings?
Hubert
I personally like this idea as you could view vector and raster charts at the same time, or look at the boat, and also explore where to anchor etc... And eventually view the chart in polar and mercator projections at the same time... many global variables would need to be dealt with to make this work. It is not top priority to me at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curl View Post
Tried it on a Samsung S2 mobilphone (arm, no acc. opengl):
No gps/compass display.
No nmea (net) feed.
No AIS (net) feed.
You can run OpenCPN on a cellphone? That's the first I heard of it.. what OS are we talking about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckSK View Post
Building with visual C++ required the following fixes.
Code:
diff --git a/src/Route.cpp b/src/Route.cpp
index 772343c..aa819d8 100644
--- a/src/Route.cpp
+++ b/src/Route.cpp
@@ -615,7 +615,7 @@ void Route::RenderSegmentArrowsGL( int xa, int ya, int xb, int yb, ViewPort &VP)
         icon_scale_factor = ( lpp * max_arrow_to_leg )
             / nom_arrow_size;

-    double theta = atan2( yb - ya, xb - xa );
+    double theta = atan2((double)(yb - ya), (double)(xb - xa));
     theta -= PI / 2;

glPushMatrix();
diff --git a/src/options.cpp b/src/options.cpp
index dfc2a3b..93bfd04 100644
--- a/src/options.cpp
+++ b/src/options.cpp
@@ -4562,7 +4562,7 @@ void SentenceListDlg::OnOkClick( wxCommandEvent& event ) { event.Skip(); }
 //OpenGLOptionsDlg

OpenGLOptionsDlg::OpenGLOptionsDlg( wxWindow* parent ) :
-    wxDialog( parent, wxID_ANY, _T("OpenGL Options") )
+    wxDialog( parent, wxID_ANY, _T("OpenGL Options"), wxDefaultPosition )
 {
     m_bSizer1 = new wxGridSizer( 2, -1 );
     m_bSizer2 = new wxBoxSizer( wxHORIZONTAL );
diff --git a/src/pluginmanager.cpp b/src/pluginmanager.cpp
index 88cc404..5cb2b74 100644
--- a/src/pluginmanager.cpp
+++ b/src/pluginmanager.cpp
@@ -2751,7 +2751,7 @@ PluginPanel::PluginPanel(PluginListPanel *parent, wxWindowID id, const wxPoint &
     SetSizer(itemBoxSizer01);
     Connect(wxEVT_LEFT_DOWN, wxMouseEventHandler(PluginPanel::OnPluginSelected), NULL, this);

-    wxStaticBitmap *itemStaticBitmap = new wxStaticBitmap( this, wxID_ANY, m_pPlugin->m_bitmap->ConvertToImage().Copy());
+    wxStaticBitmap *itemStaticBitmap = new wxStaticBitmap( this, wxID_ANY, *m_pPlugin->m_bitmap);
     itemBoxSizer01->Add(itemStaticBitmap, 0, wxEXPAND|wxALL, 5);
     itemStaticBitmap->Connect(wxEVT_LEFT_DOWN, wxMouseEventHandler( PluginPanel::OnPluginSelected ), NULL, this);
     wxBoxSizer* itemBoxSizer02 = new wxBoxSizer(wxVERTICAL);
OpenCPN started up with no problems. Panning is much faster now. The only problem seen so far is that the compass window is no longer moveable.

Chuck
Chuck, thank you so much for your programming ability and fixing things. These types of errors are very annoying! In any case I don't like the third fix because I was trying to allow (future) plugins to reuse their icon for the toolbar as well as the plugin list, and without the copy it gets deleted twice and crashes at exit. See my proposed fix in git now.

I found it is best to disable the compass window and statusbar if you have low performance (hence the need to make changes here)

I apologize for leaving my scandalizing turds in the code.. I was trying to figure out what was slowing it down and I forgot about just a few of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curl View Post
raspberry debian:

As root:
apt-get update
apt-get install -y libgtk2.0-dev gettext git-core cmake gpsd gpsd-clients \
libgps-dev build-essential wx-common libwxgtk2.8-dev \
libglu1-mesa-dev libgtk2.0-dev wx2.8-headers \
libbz2-dev libtinyxml-dev libsdl1.2debian xcalib

git clone https://github.com/seandepagnier/OpenCPN.git
cd OpenCPN/
mkdir build
build
cmake ../
make;make install
When you type glxinfo on the rpi do you have hardware acceleration? If not, please fix this first, or maybe you can run wayland on the rpi and get hardware acceleration? Can OpenCPN work under wayland just by using egl instead of glx calls? or do we need to do more? If only I had a display for my rpi...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
bobo...,Opie...
You're free to try mine. Use the link in post #20. I'm using WinXP that's true but it should be suitable even for never Windows. Since Chuck could run with OpenGL it could be nice to see if it works also for you. My OpenGL crash could be caused by a code not suitable for my rather stale graphic card.
Håkan
It should not crash. If it crashes repeatedly at the same time it is a bug and we can fix it. If your computer's hardware is actually unstable (like mine).. it can crash anytime and often does.. very annoying, and you have to reboot, but not in any repeatable way.. and you cannot fix this.. and it has nothing to do with OpenCPN.. I'm guessing this is only a problem for me not you?

Quote:
Sean... & all
More observations to continue after notes in post #16:
-Still WinXP and no OpenGL
-I'm at home and alternate between VDR play and a hand-GPS (Serial->USB)
-All notes here are verified to work in original 3.3.1302 but not in 3.3.1302_Sean using the same circumstances.

>I can't say there's any significant difference in performance even if that's a feeling and not based on any statistical test method. But when I not use OpenGL that's possible obvious? The test method was to zoom in/out, moving the chart and toggle around with "F2". (CM93)
Your grammar is a bit bad so I cannot confirm if you have OpenGL or not, and if you have hardware accelerated OpenGL or not.
Quote:
>Using VDR-play and switching to "Course UP Mode" works fine but switch back to north-up didn't worked. Course-up is still there irrespective of scale or move actions.
This is probably related to me adding the '[' ']' and '\' to control rotation. Can you explain to me how you switch to north up from course up? Is this from the context menu?
Quote:
Program stop and start did however returned back to north up.
>AIS CPA alarm is not working. The calculations are there since CPA is shown when I chose to view it but no alarm trigging.
>The GPS status indicator is not shown.

To be continued.../Håkan
I think these are fixed now in git.

Thanks to all for the reports.. and there are actually many more bugs I am aware of (mostly pre-existing) that I am trying to fix, eg: The text on vector charts is not rendering right net and needs help. Also keep in mind I only have access to internet every few days.. I'll do my best.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2014, 01:04   #37
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post

I personally like this idea as you could view vector and raster charts at the same time, or look at the boat, and also explore where to anchor etc... And eventually view the chart in polar and mercator projections at the same time... many global variables would need to be dealt with to make this work. It is not top priority to me at the moment.
Sean, it was just to have these ideas in the backgroung when taking design decisions as you do right now.
Having several settings at the same time - I didn't think about projections but for instance Radar or Grib overlays. Your idea would make it even more challenging as it wouldn't be just a different viewport onto the canvas.

Quote:
You can run OpenCPN on a cellphone? That's the first I heard of it.. what OS are we talking about?
All these ports are running a Deb with ARM(EL) as architecture, so rooted versions of phones or tablets.
As there is no wx for Android no way for a direct running app.

Hubert
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2014, 01:22   #38

Boat: Amel Sharki

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
GitHub requires OS X 10.7 or higher; I have 10.6.8 so not possible.

Looking forward to wxWidgets 3.0 use - at least in theory.

Greg
Greg,
why not upgrade to 10.9 (Mavericks), it is for free.
Latest wxWidgets version is 3.1.0 which I use here with OpenCPN v3.3.

Gerhard
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2014, 01:23   #39

Sean..
Thanks for your answers and the Git update which I'll try during the day.
And I do appreciate that you comment my attempt to write in English. If you don't understand I do want to know. Otherwise I believe my expressions are clear since I fully understand my writings?
Håkan
Old 13-01-2014, 01:36   #40

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
Sean..
Thanks for your answers and the Git update which I'll try during the day.
And I do appreciate that you comment my attempt to write in English. If you don't understand I do want to know. Otherwise I believe my expressions are clear since I fully understand my writings?
Håkan
You do or don't have hardware accelerated opengl?
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2014, 01:42   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarCode View Post
why not upgrade to 10.9 (Mavericks), it is for free.
Latest wxWidgets version is 3.1.0 which I use here with OpenCPN v3.3.
My late 2006 Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro 17" is only supported through 10.7, which I do not think a particularly desirable "upgrade". I waited to buy it because I wanted 64 bit, only to discover later that the EFI boot and kernel were 32 bit, and Apple was happy to cast us adrift ASAP. Then again, Apple got upset with ATI so my GPU got orphaned as well. Not happy...

Glad to hear that OCPN is now using 3.1; I will need to change my MacPorts settings to get the devel version.

I think my problem is my flawed understanding of GitX so I will pound away a little more - I really want to be managing this with Git.

Greg
Old 13-01-2014, 01:56   #42

Greg,

give it a try with Mavericks. I don't see why it should not work. I have upgraded all my Macs to Mavericks without problems.

I don't use MacPorts. I fetch the latest updates of wx3.1 also with github.

Gerhard
Old 13-01-2014, 02:16   #43

AFAIK Mavericks only has a 64 bit kernel, as does Mountain Lion. My 32 bit EFI boot ROM apparently does not support 64 bit kernel. Of course it would have been simple enough for Apple to have created a 64 bit EFI and kernel that would work, but the kext drivers for the older hardware are another matter. Apple also does not support Win 7 in Boot Camp for this machine, and Win 7 came out almost exactly 3 years after my MBP. Not great support. Planned obsolescence anyone?

Greg
Old 13-01-2014, 03:37   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
You do or don't have hardware accelerated opengl?
Sean..
The OpenGL hardware accelerator is on.
The system is WinXp.
These are my graphic controller properties:
Code:
Display adapter 0    
     Name    ATI MOBILITY RADEON X600
     Codename    RV380
     Technology    0.13 um
     Memory size    128 MB
     PCI device    bus 1 (0x1), device 0 (0x0), function 0 (0x0)
     Vendor ID    0x1002 (0x103C)
     Model ID    0x3150 (0x0934)
     Performance Level    0

Win32_VideoController    AdapterRAM = 0x8000000 (134217728)
Win32_VideoController    DriverVersion = 6.14.10.6601
Win32_VideoController    DriverDate = 03/08/2006
Håkan
Old 13-01-2014, 04:07   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
AFAIK Mavericks only has a 64 bit kernel, as does Mountain Lion. My 32 bit EFI boot ROM apparently does not support 64 bit kernel. Of course it would have been simple enough for Apple to have created a 64 bit EFI and kernel that would work, but the kext drivers for the older hardware are another matter. Apple also does not support Win 7 in Boot Camp for this machine, and Win 7 came out almost exactly 3 years after my MBP. Not great support. Planned obsolescence anyone?

Greg
Greg,
it seems you are right. Regarding the MacTracker.app your MBP supports only up to 10.7.5 OS X and latest EFI firmware is 1.5.1.
Sorry for you.
Gerhard

Tags
opencpn, enc