Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-03-2014, 11:07   #166

Boat: Dufour 35
Re: Optimized Opencpn: Testers Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
Sean..or anyone
Please teach me how to clone your branch "optimum"?
I suppose it's not merged into the "github.com/seandepagnier/OpenCPN"

Thanks/ HÅkan
Code:
git clone -b optimum https://github.com/seandepagnier/OpenCPN.git

/Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2014, 12:18   #167

Boat: Najad 34

Thomas..
As simple as that! Many thanks /Håkan
Hakan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2014, 12:43   #168

Built for Win32 with cmake to VC10 with some (28) errors.
I haven't done more so far. I'll wait until tomorrow. But the errors are attached.
(Discard .pdf)
Håkan
Attached Files
File Type: pdf cmake_build_log_optimum.txt.pdf (18.6 KB, 46 views)
Old 31-03-2014, 21:28   #169

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
Built for Win32 with cmake to VC10 with some (28) errors.
I haven't done more so far. I'll wait until tomorrow. But the errors are attached.
(Discard .pdf)
Håkan
Thanks for the error report. I think I have fixed the errors, so try pulling again.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 01:22   #170

Sean..
Well-well...someone has been really busy during my night
The same result for both debug and release build:
Build succeeded.
0 Warning(s)
0 Error(s)
Very well!
Thanks/Håkan
Old 01-04-2014, 04:20   #171

I'm in a very different timezone I think.

Anyway, it builds, but does it run? Go into configuration and opengl options, and enable compression and compression caching, then go to the charts tab and select rescan or rebuild check boxes. This may take a while, so you might want to start with a directory with just a few dozen charts. (It took me 3 hours to do the entire usa, this algorithm is slow and only uses a single core) Once complete opencpn should run much faster.

If opencpn is still running slow, maybe tweak the video memory usage down a lot, say to 16m or even 1m. With caching, video memory use can be much lower with great results, and ram usage is minimal. If this fixes anything then it's a crappy driver, but we will see.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:19   #172

Boat: I Wish
Send a message via Skype™ to sbfreddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post

Anyway, it builds, but does it run? Go into configuration and opengl options, and enable compression and compression caching, then go to the charts tab and select rescan or rebuild check boxes. This may take a while, so you might want to start with a directory with just a few dozen charts. (It took me 3 hours to do the entire usa, this algorithm is slow and only uses a single core) Once complete opencpn should run much faster.

If opencpn is still running slow, maybe tweak the video memory usage down a lot, say to 16m or even 1m. With caching, video memory use can be much lower with great results, and ram usage is minimal. If this fixes anything then it's a crappy driver, but we will see.
Sean:
I just built your latest from Git ( git clone -b optimum https://github.com/seandepagnier/OpenCPN.git) on the CubieTruck (QBee-X ubuntu 12.04 LTS), however in the OpenGL "Options" window there are no options for enabling compression and compression caching available. The only options are "Use FBO Panning", "Texture Compression", and "Texture Memory Size (MB)".
What did I do wrong?

Thanks,
Freddie
sbfreddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 12:19   #173

Quote:

Sean..
My zone is UTC +1 and today I've been a bit busy if that's a correct word for someone retired like me?
My system is WinXP 120 Mb graphic memory. Early OpenGL: ATI mobility radeon X600.
Yes it's running but not the whole journey.
I first made a copy of the whole opencpn directory from last beta. Then I copied my new exe file to this dir. To not interfere with my original opencpn.ini I run in portable mode.
I checked all OpenGL options and set the graphic memory to half of the available, 60 Mb.
I started using my CM93 charts. I reloaded and updated the database. It took just some seconds!? It works fine and scaling and moving was rather smooth. I played a VDR file and it was fine.
Then I tried to load some raster charts. First GE-KAP - crash when initialising started. Then some BSB-KAP charts - the same result.

The log file is attached (discard .pdf)
Please advise more tests or whatever else you want from me.
Håkan
Attached Files
File Type: pdf opencpn.log.pdf (43.9 KB, 38 views)
Old 01-04-2014, 20:47   #174

Quote:
Sean..
My zone is UTC +1 and today I've been a bit busy if that's a correct word for someone retired like me?
My system is WinXP 120 Mb graphic memory. Early OpenGL: ATI mobility radeon X600.
Yes it's running but not the whole journey.
I first made a copy of the whole opencpn directory from last beta. Then I copied my new exe file to this dir. To not interfere with my original opencpn.ini I run in portable mode.
I checked all OpenGL options and set the graphic memory to half of the available, 60 Mb.
I started using my CM93 charts. I reloaded and updated the database. It took just some seconds!? It works fine and scaling and moving was rather smooth. I played a VDR file and it was fine.
Then I tried to load some raster charts. First GE-KAP - crash when initialising started. Then some BSB-KAP charts - the same result.

The log file is attached (discard .pdf)
Please advise more tests or whatever else you want from me.
Håkan
It should take a bit of time to generate the cache, something is wrong.

I have added a lot of debugging information. Perhaps you can try again. Also, try disabling the google earth plugin, since I cannot use this plugin it complicates finding the problem.

Also, try zooming in really far in vector mode, and then switching to a raster chart so you are overzoomed. Maybe this doesn't crash?

Another test is to try without texture compression.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfreddie View Post
Sean:
I just built your latest from Git ( git clone -b optimum https://github.com/seandepagnier/OpenCPN.git) on the CubieTruck (QBee-X ubuntu 12.04 LTS), however in the OpenGL "Options" window there are no options for enabling compression and compression caching available. The only options are "Use FBO Panning", "Texture Compression", and "Texture Memory Size (MB)".
What did I do wrong?

Thanks,
Freddie
Maybe the option is grayed out? It should be to the right of "Texture Compression"
Old 01-04-2014, 23:21   #175

Quote:
It should take a bit of time to generate the cache, something is wrong.

I have added a lot of debugging information. Perhaps you can try again. Also, try disabling the google earth plugin, since I cannot use this plugin it complicates finding the problem.

Also, try zooming in really far in vector mode, and then switching to a raster chart so you are overzoomed. Maybe this doesn't crash?

Another test is to try without texture compression.
Sean..
Ok - new pull and build.
New test without texture compression.
And this time I started with a clean conf (.ini.) -file.
I only loaded a very small, 11 pc, portion of raster, BSB, charts and they where nicely loaded. I could now move around in the charts but a chrash occured when zoming in and then out.
If I disable quilt mode I can zoom out without a crash but when enabled again the zoom out crash is back.
The Google earth plugin is not present and no plugins are enabled.
A crash reports is available. The first part of the log is before the new Git pull.
The crash report was i bit big also as a pdf. Please download from this link instead.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ash_report.zip

Please tell me if I can do more.

Håkan
Old 02-04-2014, 07:21   #176

I finally did some testing on the cubie truck (dual core arm) I can say that initially I was faced with a black screen with opengl enabled. This is due to buggy drivers which report we have fbo when it doesn't work.. so disabled it in the code and it's working. Anyone else who gets a black screen from opengl, please post your system.

Since I don't have a screen, I used first x forwarding, but then with doubts as to how well this works and problems with network being saturated, I switched to vnc.

I can say that it is approximately 20 times faster with the compressed caching enabled. I don't think this thing actually has hardware acceleration even though it reports it does because it is still faster without opengl.
Old 02-04-2014, 21:23   #177

Quote:
Sean..
Ok - new pull and build.
New test without texture compression.
And this time I started with a clean conf (.ini.) -file.
I only loaded a very small, 11 pc, portion of raster, BSB, charts and they where nicely loaded. I could now move around in the charts but a chrash occured when zoming in and then out.
If I disable quilt mode I can zoom out without a crash but when enabled again the zoom out crash is back.
The Google earth plugin is not present and no plugins are enabled.
A crash reports is available. The first part of the log is before the new Git pull.
The crash report was i bit big also as a pdf. Please download from this link instead.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ash_report.zip

Please tell me if I can do more.

Håkan
Håkan...

From your log file, it seems to me that the crash is not related to texture loading. To fix this problem I need to have a backtrace, which I believe you included, but unfortunately I have no way to read a crashdump.dmp file as it is specific to visual studio. This is a reason I got opencpn working using mingw.

Anyway, maybe you can switch to the debugger at the point of crash and send a call stack?

Also, it appears you disabled compression.. Have you managed to build any caches yet?
Old 04-04-2014, 00:17   #178

Quote:
Håkan...

From your log file, it seems to me that the crash is not related to texture loading. To fix this problem I need to have a backtrace, which I believe you included, but unfortunately I have no way to read a crashdump.dmp file as it is specific to visual studio. This is a reason I got opencpn working using mingw.

Anyway, maybe you can switch to the debugger at the point of crash and send a call stack?

Also, it appears you disabled compression.. Have you managed to build any caches yet?
Sean..
Sorry for the lack of answers. I'm a bit busy for the moment.
I tried to open the .dmp file in VC10 but couldn't find much. The first part is this very limitied info:
Code:
Dump Summary
------------
Dump File:    crashdump.dmp : C:\Documents and Settings\has\Lokala inställningar\Temp\7zO1F9.tmp\crashdump.dmp
Last Write Time:    2014-04-02 06:03:58
Process Name:    opencpn.exe : C:\Program\Opencpn_test\opencpn.exe
Process Architecture:    x86
Exception Code:    0xC0000005
Exception Information:    The thread tried to read from or write to a virtual address for which it does not have the appropriate access.
Heap Information:    Not Present

System Information
------------------
OS Version:    5.1.2600
CLR Version(s):    

Modules
-------
Module Name    Module Path    Module Version
-----------    -----------    --------------
opencpn.exe    C:\Program\Opencpn_test\opencpn.exe    3.3.1419.0
.....maybe you can switch to the debugger at the point of crash and send a call stack?...........
I'll make try but, sorry, not today.

.....Also, it appears you disabled compression...
Well, I switched the "texture compression" off in the tools menu.

....Have you managed to build any caches yet?.........
Could you please explain more. I don't understand.

Håkan
Old 04-04-2014, 01:26   #179
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Quote:

....Have you managed to build any caches yet?.........
Could you please explain more. I don't understand.

Håkan
I think Sean meant "installing raster charts and processing them into the cached version".
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 10:59   #180

Boat: Hylas 44

Sean

Optimized OpenCPN is now running here with Vista on an old Dell 1525. There were a few tweaks required. Built with MSVC++ 2010.

Code:
diff --git a/src/glChartCanvas.cpp b/src/glChartCanvas.cpp
index 3807da4..2220cb1 100644
--- a/src/glChartCanvas.cpp
+++ b/src/glChartCanvas.cpp
@@ -213,9 +213,11 @@ extern wxString         g_PrivateDataDir;

wxString CompressedCachePath(wxString path)
 {
+     path = path.AfterLast(':');
+
     /* replace path separators with ! */
     wxChar separator = wxFileName::GetPathSeparator();

@@ -352,7 +354,7 @@ void UploadTexture( glTextureDescriptor *ptd, int base_level,
             int offset_table_offset = ((i * nx_tex) + j) * (g_mipmap_max_level + 1) + base_level;
             fs.SeekI(offset_table + offset_table_offset * 4, wxFromStart);

-            uint32_t offsets[g_mipmap_max_level + 1];
+            uint32_t offsets[g_mipmap_max_level + 2];
             fs.Read(offsets + base_level, 4 * (ptd->level_min + 1 - base_level) );
             fs.SeekI(offsets[base_level], wxFromStart);
             readcomp_tt_total += sw.Time();
@@ -708,34 +710,22 @@ static GLboolean QueryExtension( const char *extName )
 static bool GetglEntryPoints( void )
 {
 #if defined(__WXMSW__)
-    s_hGL_DLL = LoadLibrary( (LPCWSTR) "opengl32.dll" );
-    if( NULL == s_hGL_DLL ) return false;
-
-    s_glGenFramebuffersEXT = (PFNGLGENFRAMEBUFFERSEXTPROC) GetProcAddress( s_hGL_DLL,
-                             "glGenFramebuffersEXT" );
-    s_glGenRenderbuffersEXT = (PFNGLGENRENDERBUFFERSEXTPROC) GetProcAddress( s_hGL_DLL,
-                              "glGenRenderbuffersEXT" );
-    s_glFramebufferTexture2DEXT = (PFNGLFRAMEBUFFERTEXTURE2DEXTPROC) GetProcAddress( s_hGL_DLL,
-                                  "glFramebufferTexture2DEXT" );
-    s_glBindFramebufferEXT = (PFNGLBINDFRAMEBUFFEREXTPROC) GetProcAddress( s_hGL_DLL,
-                             "glBindFramebufferEXT" );
-    s_glFramebufferRenderbufferEXT = (PFNGLFRAMEBUFFERRENDERBUFFEREXTPROC) GetProcAddress(
-                                         s_hGL_DLL, "glFramebufferRenderbufferEXT" );
-    s_glRenderbufferStorageEXT = (PFNGLRENDERBUFFERSTORAGEEXTPROC) GetProcAddress( s_hGL_DLL,
-                                 "glRenderbufferStorageEXT" );
-    s_glBindRenderbufferEXT = (PFNGLBINDRENDERBUFFEREXTPROC) GetProcAddress( s_hGL_DLL,
-                              "glBindRenderbufferEXT" );
-    s_glCheckFramebufferStatusEXT = (PFNGLCHECKFRAMEBUFFERSTATUSEXTPROC) GetProcAddress( s_hGL_DLL,
-                                    "glCheckFramebufferStatusEXT" );
-    s_glDeleteFramebuffersEXT = (PFNGLDELETEFRAMEBUFFERSEXTPROC) GetProcAddress( s_hGL_DLL,
-                                "glDeleteFramebuffersEXT" );
-    s_glDeleteRenderbuffersEXT = (PFNGLDELETERENDERBUFFERSEXTPROC) GetProcAddress( s_hGL_DLL,
-                                 "glDeleteRenderbuffersEXT" );
-
-    s_glGenerateMipmapEXT = (PFNGLGENERATEMIPMAPEXTPROC) GetProcAddress( s_hGL_DLL, "glGenerateMipmapEXT");
-
-    s_glCompressedTexImage2DARB = (PFNGLCOMPRESSEDTEXIMAGE2DPROC) GetProcAddress( s_hGL_DLL, "glCompressedTexImage2DARB");
-    s_glGetCompressedTexImageARB = (PFNGLGETCOMPRESSEDTEXIMAGEPROC) GetProcAddress( s_hGL_DLL, "glGetCompressedTexImageARB");
+
+    s_glGenFramebuffersEXT = (PFNGLGENFRAMEBUFFERSEXTPROC) wglGetProcAddress( "glGenFramebuffersEXT" );
+    s_glGenRenderbuffersEXT = (PFNGLGENRENDERBUFFERSEXTPROC) wglGetProcAddress( "glGenRenderbuffersEXT" );
+    s_glFramebufferTexture2DEXT = (PFNGLFRAMEBUFFERTEXTURE2DEXTPROC) wglGetProcAddress( "glFramebufferTexture2DEXT" );
+    s_glBindFramebufferEXT = (PFNGLBINDFRAMEBUFFEREXTPROC) wglGetProcAddress( "glBindFramebufferEXT" );
+    s_glFramebufferRenderbufferEXT = (PFNGLFRAMEBUFFERRENDERBUFFEREXTPROC) wglGetProcAddress( "glFramebufferRenderbufferEXT" );
+    s_glRenderbufferStorageEXT = (PFNGLRENDERBUFFERSTORAGEEXTPROC) wglGetProcAddress( "glRenderbufferStorageEXT" );
+    s_glBindRenderbufferEXT = (PFNGLBINDRENDERBUFFEREXTPROC) wglGetProcAddress( "glBindRenderbufferEXT" );
+    s_glCheckFramebufferStatusEXT = (PFNGLCHECKFRAMEBUFFERSTATUSEXTPROC) wglGetProcAddress( "glCheckFramebufferStatusEXT" );
+    s_glDeleteFramebuffersEXT = (PFNGLDELETEFRAMEBUFFERSEXTPROC) wglGetProcAddress( "glDeleteFramebuffersEXT" );
+    s_glDeleteRenderbuffersEXT = (PFNGLDELETERENDERBUFFERSEXTPROC) wglGetProcAddress( "glDeleteRenderbuffersEXT" );
+
+    s_glGenerateMipmapEXT = (PFNGLGENERATEMIPMAPEXTPROC) wglGetProcAddress( "glGenerateMipmapEXT");
+
+    s_glCompressedTexImage2DARB = (PFNGLCOMPRESSEDTEXIMAGE2DPROC) wglGetProcAddress( "glCompressedTexImage2DARB" );
+    s_glGetCompressedTexImageARB = (PFNGLGETCOMPRESSEDTEXIMAGEPROC) wglGetProcAddress( "glGetCompressedTexImageARB" );

#elif defined(__WXMAC__)
     /* how unfortunate no extensions are supported for mac */

Generating the cache files for the entire US required 8 hours (2148 files, 5.5 GB).

Thanks for all the work.

Chuck
ChuckSK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
opencpn, enc