Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2011, 18:30   #1

Boat: Custome Open BOC 50' cutter rig
Opening OpenCPN Problems

I had down loaded the OpenCPN Nav., 2.5 software on my laptop MS XP all worked impressively!

Then I tried to connect my laptop to an independent Led monitor, then I opened the OpenCPN the monitor screen showed the windows background standard “sailing boat blue sky small island” pic. However short cut icons did not display on the large monitor worked on the large monitor. I guess there is a incompatibility between the laptop and monitor. So I give trying to setup it up a miss and disconnected the cable to both LT and Monitor.

However I was dismayed to discover I was not able to OpenCPN on my laptop in the normal way.

I tried to uninstall it I couldn’t as it was corrupted - I then down loaded a new version from my in depended memory USB stick, it open I set up the charts all worked.

However it only opened once when it was down loaded and would not open again.

Any ideas are wellcome?
The question I have for the form is what to try next?

Many thanks

Kryg
kryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2011, 08:55   #2

Boat: 29'
Re: Opening OpenCPN Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryg View Post
I had down loaded the OpenCPN Nav., 2.5 software on my laptop MS XP all worked impressively!

Then I tried to connect my laptop to an independent Led monitor, then I opened the OpenCPN the monitor screen showed the windows background standard “sailing boat blue sky small island” pic. However short cut icons did not display on the large monitor worked on the large monitor. I guess there is a incompatibility between the laptop and monitor. So I give trying to setup it up a miss and disconnected the cable to both LT and Monitor.

However I was dismayed to discover I was not able to OpenCPN on my laptop in the normal way.

I tried to uninstall it I couldn’t as it was corrupted - I then down loaded a new version from my in depended memory USB stick, it open I set up the charts all worked.

However it only opened once when it was down loaded and would not open again.

Any ideas are wellcome?
The question I have for the form is what to try next?

Many thanks

Kryg
Hi,Kryg.hmm.Try this.

for XP,browse to "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\opencpn" and delete the folder...

but now,I need tell you that you must be able to "see" so-called "hidden" files and folders to do this...and to do that,you'll have to goto the top menu list on any folder,click Tools,then Folder Options,then View and go down the list to "show hidden files and folders" ...you might as well have a look at protected system files at least once just so your computer will know you can give it pain and maybe treat you better in the future...but you should hide all these later.You don't want to accidentally delete stuff there and this does protect you.

Now,restart OpenCPN.If you can't find the shortcut,browse to C:\Program Files and go into the OpenCPN folder and double-click opencpn.exe.It should now start up like a fresh install.

If that doesn't work,we'll think of something else.
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2011, 01:26   #3

Thanks Happy SeaGull,

OpenCPN is now opening - I had to reloas the charts however for some reason the Charts are missing place names, In Tools I clicked on the A+ and nothing happened no luck...it must be something simple? I cheched the setup in Tool charts all seems ok?

If you have an idea what to do next please let me know.

Many thanks for your help

Kryg.
Old 27-09-2011, 09:48   #4

Hi,Kryg.
What kind of charts are you using?what do you mean by Place Names?
There are two basic types of charts.Raster(which are just big pictures and Vector which are tiles like a mosaic.

The text button?It's for Vector charts.(vector charts have all sorts of embedded info that can be called up or hidden )There are tons of these floating around as a huge folder "CM93".They are not consistent and it'seasy to get a corrupted ,old,or incomplete one-that's a possibility you need consider for your particular problem.

also,in the setup place(wrench\Vector Charts),try ticking "Mariners standard".try other things too but keep notes so you can back out.

The Raster ones are often called bsbs or kaps.The Text button in OpenCPN has no effect on these.They are just pictures and what you see is what you get.WYSIWYG.any naming will only be found in the header that OpenCPN shows by hovering over them on the lower chart bar...

you likely know all this,it's more or less in the manual(click the "?")
Old 27-09-2011, 15:40   #5

Thanks Happy Seagull,

I'm Using C93 Vector Charts, chart place names where operating fine before I had experienced the OpenCPN opening problem.

As you signaled it could be, I did not do a complete down loading everything as I should have, there are a number of C map files apart from the chart files of C93.The tides work, and the only missing element is the place names?
The question is, if it is a missing CMap file how do I identify it?

One last question the old C93 charts are lacking in to days standard. In Jan plan to sail from Sydney Aus, NZ and on to and explore Patagonia. Since that area is constantly being updated what charts you would use.
I realize that Proprietary chart software will not work on OpenCPN, I do also have Version 12.6 MaxSea navigation soft ware as well.
I have been reluctant to buy charts till I understand which are the most reliable and available

Many thanks for your comprehensive help,

Kryg
Old 27-09-2011, 18:10   #6

Kryg, I recall Cagney gave a comprehensive explain about the cm93 system- it's somewhere here in the OpenCPN forum. and a search here of "CM93" might help with "missing files".There are several versions out there as you say and some never were complete..you know that cm93 are not exactly accurate...I wouldn't use 'em where I am at all That said, openCPN has an amazing tool (quilting must be off then right-click and choose CM93 offset dialog) to shift them and help place the coastlines far more accurately but this would need reliable sources to calibrate from.

..you might be interested in the thread here per 2700 charts...I can't say the finished ones are anywhere beyond being a planning tool but they at least have place names on them!
Old 27-09-2011, 20:36   #7

Happy Seagull,

Many thanks for your reply, I fully agree I would never use the C93 for navigation outside known local turf it’s more about me testing the waters in shifting from old school paper chart navigation to electronic and if I can live with this system.

However because the C93 charts cover the world, I use it is an excellent reference for planning. Without having to invest many thousands of dollars to research an area and satisfy my interests where I would conceder possibly exploring under sail.

On Running OpenCPN what charts are you using Raster or Vector?

I will look into for the 2700 chart thread sounds interesting project.

Kryg
Old 28-09-2011, 08:20   #8

I'm running both types at once with OpenCPN,but I use my old bsb\kaps.I still use paper charts in the cockpit even if they are printed off digital ones...not because I don't trust digital ones-It's electricity I don't trust.That's the priority investment in digital navigation-power.
Old 28-09-2011, 16:47   #9

Happy Seagull,

For me the drawback of electronic charts, used in costal navigation. I find there is nothing like taking a bearing of a headland or conspectuses fixture, this can only be marked out on a paper chart and hand bearing compass and pencil. Drawing a bearing line bead electronically Takes the fun out of Navigation and leaves a big question mark on the real security of one position.

Happy uneventful navigation,

Kryg

Tags
opencpn