Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-10-2011, 23:33   #1
Marine Service Provider
 
nixontankgirl's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Western Pacific
Boat: 37ft Joubert. Made by Meta.
Posts: 137
OpenCPN .xpm from .jpg Own Ship Icon

I am just wondering, and it is completely pointless other than to entertain me, but is it possible to replace the 'own ship icon' in OpenCPN with a picture of my boat? I presume that if it is possible then I some how would have to convert a .jpg picture of the boat to .xpm but a)I dont know if it is possible and b)I dont know if it will work.
__________________

__________________
nixontankgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2011, 01:05   #2
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: On the go. Not in Prague.
Posts: 4,018
Re: OpenCPN .xpm from .jpg Own ship Icon.

Both answers are yes. Some info at Free OpenCPN Icons and the next post.
If too techie, just post your jpg image here and I will convert it for you - wasting a minute of time will not kill me

Pavel
__________________

__________________
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2011, 01:44   #3
Marine Service Provider
 
nixontankgirl's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Western Pacific
Boat: 37ft Joubert. Made by Meta.
Posts: 137
Re: OpenCPN .xpm from .jpg Own ship Icon.

Oh! That's cool. I will have a look at the posts you suggested and see if I can figure it out, I am always keen to solve problems and try to learn a little bit. If I cant figure it out then I will post a pic. But, I am hauling out in the morning so I'm not sure if I will be online much for the next few days. If you dont hear from me for a few days its because I got carried away with the 'boat yard blues'. Thanks for your reply and advice.
__________________
nixontankgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 02:20   #4
Marine Service Provider
 
nixontankgirl's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Western Pacific
Boat: 37ft Joubert. Made by Meta.
Posts: 137
Re: OpenCPN .xpm from .jpg Own Ship Icon

So, I eventually managed to convert the image to .xpm with some software I downloaded (GIMP). I am struggling to create a directory, is this right;

[Directories]
UserIcons=C:\\Users\\admin\\Desktop\\ownship.xpm
S57DataLocation=C:\\Program Files\\OpenCPN\\s57data
SENCFileLocation=C:\\ProgramData\\opencpn\\SENC
PresentationLibraryData=
CM93DictionaryLocation=C:\\Users\\admin\\Documents \\Charts\\CM93\\

Obviously, highlighted is what I added. It is in C:\ProgramData\opencpn
__________________
nixontankgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 02:23   #5
Marine Service Provider
 
nixontankgirl's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Western Pacific
Boat: 37ft Joubert. Made by Meta.
Posts: 137
Re: OpenCPN .xpm from .jpg Own Ship Icon

Maybe I should just add that what I did hasn't worked......
__________________
nixontankgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 02:32   #6
Senior Cruiser
 
sailorF54's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Perros-Guirec, France
Boat: Jeanneau Sunshine 36
Posts: 829
Re: OpenCPN .xpm from .jpg Own Ship Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixontankgirl View Post
So, I eventually managed to convert the image to .xpm with some software I downloaded (GIMP). I am struggling to create a directory, is this right;

[Directories]
UserIcons=C:\\Users\\admin\\Desktop\\ownship.xpm
S57DataLocation=C:\\Program Files\\OpenCPN\\s57data
SENCFileLocation=C:\\ProgramData\\opencpn\\SENC
PresentationLibraryData=
CM93DictionaryLocation=C:\\Users\\admin\\Documents \\Charts\\CM93\\

Obviously, highlighted is what I added. It is in C:\ProgramData\opencpn
You should RTFM (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RTFM)... at
User Icons | Official OpenCPN Homepage

In your case, the ownship.xpm should be in a folder named UserIcons included in C:\\ProgramData\\opencpn
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenShot003.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	33425  
__________________
sailorF54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 02:38   #7
Registered User

Join Date: May 2011
Boat: 50' catamaran
Posts: 432
Re: OpenCPN .xpm from .jpg Own Ship Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixontankgirl View Post
I am just wondering, and it is completely pointless other than to entertain me, but is it possible to replace the 'own ship icon' in OpenCPN with a picture of my boat? I presume that if it is possible then I some how would have to convert a .jpg picture of the boat to .xpm but a)I dont know if it is possible and b)I dont know if it will work.
Yes, it can be done and is quite easy.
Have a look at this thread and the following threads where I created a number of ownship icons. I'm willing to help if you have difficulties making your ownship icon.

Free OpenCPN Icons

.
__________________
Revelations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 11:59   #8
Marine Service Provider
 
nixontankgirl's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Western Pacific
Boat: 37ft Joubert. Made by Meta.
Posts: 137
Re: OpenCPN .xpm from .jpg Own Ship Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorF54 View Post
You should RTFM (RTFM - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)... at
User Icons | Official OpenCPN Homepage

In your case, the ownship.xpm should be in a folder named UserIcons included in C:\\ProgramData\\opencpn
I did RTFM at the home page, that's how I got as far as I did. I am familiar with the phrase. What I am not familiar with is trying to create a directory. Anyway, thanks for your time, I am sure I will be able to sort it out.
__________________
nixontankgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 12:11   #9
Marine Service Provider
 
nixontankgirl's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Western Pacific
Boat: 37ft Joubert. Made by Meta.
Posts: 137
Re: OpenCPN .xpm from .jpg Own Ship Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseMoney View Post
Yes, it can be done and is quite easy.
Have a look at this thread and the following threads where I created a number of ownship icons. I'm willing to help if you have difficulties making your ownship icon.

Free OpenCPN Icons

.
Hi, thanks for the offer of assistance. I actually have read all the threads and followed most of the links people have posted. The problem I have is the bit where I am supposed to understand the thread......hahaha.
Anyway, I have created an .xpm that is currently on my desk top. I have opened the opencpn.ini(config) file. At the exact moment it opened and I saw all the text I realized that I didnt understand it. I looked down it and saw some text [Directories] so I just followed the format and imputed the line.

UserIcons=C:\\Users\\admin\\Desktop\\ownship.xpm

Obviously that's not what you are supposed to do.....

And I am sorry to bother you with such simple tasks but am I supposed to make a new folder somewhere? I dont actually know what it means to create a new directory. I am about to create a file in the same place as the .ini file and try that.
__________________
nixontankgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 14:17   #10
Senior Cruiser
 
sailorF54's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Perros-Guirec, France
Boat: Jeanneau Sunshine 36
Posts: 829
Re: OpenCPN .xpm from .jpg Own Ship Icon

IMHA, if you plan to use OpenCpn in earnest (I mean while underway), you might want to read ONE of the 1000+ books on Windows to learn the basics of the OS you're using (XP, W7 or whatever).
So I won't explain how to create a folder or navigate to a specific directory.

(Of course, others might disagree with me)
__________________
sailorF54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 17:55   #11
Registered User

Join Date: May 2011
Boat: 50' catamaran
Posts: 432
Re: OpenCPN .xpm from .jpg Own Ship Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixontankgirl View Post
Hi, thanks for the offer of assistance. I actually have read all the threads and followed most of the links people have posted. The problem I have is the bit where I am supposed to understand the thread......hahaha.
Anyway, I have created an .xpm that is currently on my desk top. I have opened the opencpn.ini(config) file. At the exact moment it opened and I saw all the text I realized that I didnt understand it. I looked down it and saw some text [Directories] so I just followed the format and imputed the line.

UserIcons=C:\\Users\\admin\\Desktop\\ownship.xpm

Obviously that's not what you are supposed to do.....

And I am sorry to bother you with such simple tasks but am I supposed to make a new folder somewhere? I dont actually know what it means to create a new directory. I am about to create a file in the same place as the .ini file and try that.
You are doing it wrong. I don't know what operating system you are using, I am using Windows 7. If you are using the same, then do the following;

1. Open Windows Explorer,
2. Look for this directory and open it;

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Application Data\opencpn
(this is where your opencpn.ini file resides)

3. Within the opencpn directory, create a new folder called; UserIcons

To create a new folder;
a. Select the opencpn directory (click on it once),
b. Then click File --> New --> Folder
c. Look on the right side window and rename the New folder to UserIcons

4. Paste your ownship.xpm file within the new directory (UserIcons).

Done! Restart OpenCPN and you will see you ownship icon.
__________________
Revelations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 19:55   #12
Marine Service Provider
 
nixontankgirl's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Western Pacific
Boat: 37ft Joubert. Made by Meta.
Posts: 137
Re: OpenCPN .xpm from .jpg Own Ship Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseMoney View Post
You are doing it wrong. I don't know what operating system you are using, I am using Windows 7. If you are using the same, then do the following;

1. Open Windows Explorer,
2. Look for this directory and open it;

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Application Data\opencpn
(this is where your opencpn.ini file resides)

3. Within the opencpn directory, create a new folder called; UserIcons

To create a new folder;
a. Select the opencpn directory (click on it once),
b. Then click File --> New --> Folder
c. Look on the right side window and rename the New folder to UserIcons

4. Paste your ownship.xpm file within the new directory (UserIcons).

Done! Restart OpenCPN and you will see you ownship icon.
I really appreciate you taking the time to write that info out for me. I was slightly intimidated by all the text in the ini. file and was thinking that it was actually more complicated than it was. I actually had another look through it all this morning and tried a few things and eventually did basically what you have just written. And it worked! What confused me was the text in the ini. file. For some reason I thought that I had to 'create' a directory by writing more text and actually insert the .xpm into the .ini file by 'code', if that makes sense...? Some of the other threads I read didnt make any sense to me at all. A random cut and paste from one may help you understand why I was so confused "...... I would be suspecting the ANSI vs. Unicode problem in your build environment - the setup package produced from the build includes the dlls from git (2.8.10 - 100% unicode), while local build is linked and runs against your local wx libraries......"
Anyway, thanks again.
__________________
nixontankgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 20:05   #13
Marine Service Provider
 
nixontankgirl's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Western Pacific
Boat: 37ft Joubert. Made by Meta.
Posts: 137
Re: OpenCPN .xpm from .jpg Own Ship Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorF54 View Post
IMHA, if you plan to use OpenCpn in earnest (I mean while underway), you might want to read ONE of the 1000+ books on Windows to learn the basics of the OS you're using (XP, W7 or whatever).
So I won't explain how to create a folder or navigate to a specific directory.

(Of course, others might disagree with me)
WDYJFO!

God, its annoying when you get arrogant dorks like you posting junk like this. Not only have I done it, but you obviously didn't understand my post. What threw me was the pages of text in the .ini file. I didn't understand if I was supposed to modify text within that file to some how create an image. If you got off your high horse and actually were able to understand what I wrote instead of looking for an opportunity to make yourself feel superior then you could of saved your self the minor frustration of even answering my post and saved me having to tell you not to bother reading any of my posts again.
And I do disagree with you.
pppffffffff.
__________________
nixontankgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 01:25   #14
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: On the go. Not in Prague.
Posts: 4,018
Re: OpenCPN .xpm from .jpg Own Ship Icon

nixontankgirl...
  • Directory and folder are synonyms when we talk about computers
  • You don't need to modify the INI file - did you get the impression that you have to from the manual? If you did, we clearly have to update the manual to be more understandable, actually, if you could do me a favor and try to describe it in a way you find fine once you get it going, I would be grateful. Just delete the line you added to opencpn.ini
  • As far as I remember, you are on Win7. Create a folder C:\ProgramData\opencpn\UserIcons and place ownship.xpm or any other icons you create or download in it. Once you start OpenCPN for the next time, you should be set.
  • Those guys are trying to help you, believe it or not
Pavel
__________________
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 09:09   #15
Registered User
 
HappySeagull's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: B.C.,Canada
Boat: 29'
Posts: 2,395
Re: OpenCPN .xpm from .jpg Own Ship Icon

Hi,nixontankgirl ...I've got XP.If you do,or even if not,hope this helps

get thee to the folder that has the ini file in it..right click anywhere in the blank space inside the folder and...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.png
Views:	83
Size:	11.0 KB
ID:	33495

then right click the new folder,choose rename

Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard02.png
Views:	76
Size:	14.0 KB
ID:	33496

done...
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard03.png
Views:	77
Size:	14.6 KB
ID:	33497

next,go to where you have ownship.xpm stored.Right click ownship.xpm and...


Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard04.png
Views:	76
Size:	7.6 KB
ID:	33498

Next get thee BACK to where the UserIcons folder is and
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard05.png
Views:	81
Size:	4.5 KB
ID:	33499

done!
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard06.png
Views:	72
Size:	10.3 KB
ID:	33500.

start openCPN and you will have your shiny new YOU!
you also put other custom icons for waypoints and Marks that you want to use in this very same folder,but these don't need to be named "ownship"
__________________

__________________
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
opencpn

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OpenCPN, Mapsource Chartpak Capt.Don OpenCPN 4 13-11-2011 09:24
OpenCPN Version 2.5 Release bdbcat OpenCPN 86 02-09-2011 19:14
OpenCPN Stops Running BobLarkin OpenCPN 2 31-08-2011 00:38
Route Properties, Missing Functions James Baines OpenCPN 13 13-07-2011 05:31



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 13:30.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.