Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-08-2017, 18:05   #16

Boat: Pearson 35
Re: OpenCPN (via openplotter) slow on RaspPi3

Quote:
Originally Posted by duichan View Post
glxgears must be run with the vblank prefix - i.e. "vblank_mode=0 glxgears"
Without this the speed will be limited by display blanking and will indeed never exceed 60fps.
However, glxgears only indicates what the software/hardware drivers are capable of - in this case - the problem is with O rendering the images - i/o congestion? Rendering issues? all tbd. It is not innate capability of the Rpi3 that seems to be the problem. Something is hanging somewhere.

I need to try to find one of my Rpi3 images of 4.6.x somewhere when my RPi3s arrive tomorrow Then recompile 4.8 and try to see what happens.
waterman480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2017, 00:30   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by baltika_no_9 View Post
Thanks for this Bram

My set up is almost identical but I don't have an AIS SDR dongle and I was at v 4.9.35 of the kernel. I've updated that to .41 but that has made no change, glxgears is still around 60fps.

I am driving my monitor from the HDMI port but via an HDMI to VGA adapter into the VGA port in the monitor. Maybe I should try driving it straight HDMI.

Edit
Nope, straight HDMI made no difference.

Thanks again, much appreciated
Hi,

I had same issue. The solution was to replace power supply with better one.
Below you can find my original post from 15.12.2016

"Hi,

I found out why I have had only up to 105FPS while somebody can have up to 140FPS on RPi after (update, upgrade, dist-upgrade, rpi-update).
And the answer is so simply as changing power supply to bigger one.
Now I moved from ~100FPS to ~170FPS with only changed power supply"

Kubek
kubek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2017, 00:55   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by duichan View Post
glxgears must be run with the vblank prefix - i.e. "vblank_mode=0 glxgears"
Without this the speed will be limited by display blanking and will indeed never exceed 60fps.
I tried this but the results are the same I'm afraid, maximum frame rate is about 65 fps.
baltika_no_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2017, 01:17   #19

Quote:
I tried this but the results are the same I'm afraid, maximum frame rate is about 65 fps.
Here are my results on RPi3 with OpenPlotter:

(updated - all defaults) - openplotter 4.9.35-v7+

pi@openplotter:~ $ sudo glxgears
635 frames in 5.0 seconds = 126.910 FPS
815 frames in 5.0 seconds = 162.806 FPS
863 frames in 5.0 seconds = 172.589 FPS

Kubek
Old 17-08-2017, 01:35   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubek View Post
Here are my results on RPi3 with OpenPlotter:

(updated - all defaults) - openplotter 4.9.35-v7+

pi@openplotter:~ $ sudo glxgears
635 frames in 5.0 seconds = 126.910 FPS
815 frames in 5.0 seconds = 162.806 FPS
863 frames in 5.0 seconds = 172.589 FPS

Kubek
I've tried bigger power supplies (5V 3A), running headless with nothing attached and I still can't get more than about 67fps.

How did you build your system, I mean what s/w source did you use as the base?

Thanks
Old 17-08-2017, 01:54   #21

Hi,

I have downloaded an image from:
Download OpenPlotter RPI v0.10.0 NOOBS | Sailoog
and I have followed the instructions. Then I have performed update and upgrade. That's it.

Kubek
Old 17-08-2017, 01:56   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubek View Post
Hi,

I have downloaded an image from:
Download OpenPlotter RPI v0.10.0 NOOBS | Sailoog
and I have followed the instructions. Then I have performed update and upgrade. That's it.

Kubek
Well again that's exactly where I started, how odd. Maybe I'll start from scratch. Deep breath....

Thank you
Old 17-08-2017, 02:18   #23

Not only is the power supply important for a Pi but also the power cable. Take a look at the red power led on the Pi, if it's flashing at all then your power and or cable is not up to scratch. It took me quite a while to find a good combination.

Also, could screen resolution play a part? Are you both using similar resolutions?

I'm using OpenPlotter 0.10 here (without upgrades) on a Pi3 and the response is reasonable. I have no screen, I'm just accessing it via VNC. I have not measured the fps though.

Aedan
AedanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2017, 02:42   #24

Quote:
Well again that's exactly where I started, how odd. Maybe I'll start from scratch. Deep breath....

Thank you
I've just done a clean install of openplotter_rpi_v0.10.0alpha.noobs.zip, done nothing other than install mesa-utils and I am getting around 170fps versus the 60 or so fps on my updated and configured system. I guess I will plod through my upgrades and configuration changes to see what causes the issue.

Kernel version is 4.4.50-v7

More.....
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
Kernel now at 4.9.35-v7

glxgears now peaking at over 180fps
Old 17-08-2017, 02:54   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by AedanC View Post
Not only is the power supply important for a Pi but also the power cable. Take a look at the red power led on the Pi, if it's flashing at all then your power and or cable is not up to scratch. It took me quite a while to find a good combination.

Also, could screen resolution play a part? Are you both using similar resolutions?

I'm using OpenPlotter 0.10 here (without upgrades) on a Pi3 and the response is reasonable. I have no screen, I'm just accessing it via VNC. I have not measured the fps though.

Aedan
All good points Aedan but I think I've done enough fiddling and changing of components to eliminate those as possible candidates in my case. Especially as I've just done a clean install and got some much improved fps figures with the same set up.

Chris
Old 17-08-2017, 03:52   #26

Boat: 1984 Mirage 27 (Perry)

With Raspberry Pi's on occasion they just need to be reloaded from scratch. I have found this to be true many times with my Pi's I have doing different tasks. After a few patches/updates or just a bad reboot/power loss they just seem to have a brain fart. I suspect that something happens to the SD card, probably the temp files or memory swap files. I have never found out exactly what does it, I just have to bite the bullet and do a rebuild. I have gotten into the habit now if I find a build that works good, I now do an image of the card for backup that way saves the reinstall from scratch.

As mentioned above the tip about quality power supply and cables is a valid one to check at first look. Also if you have tried everything including a rebuild from scratch. For giggles try a different SD card, some just have issues no matter what you do even after they worked fine before.
Thuid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2017, 04:08   #27

Like the OP I am getting very poor performance on my RPi3 at the latest versions of OpenPlotter/OpenCPN. Chart zooming and panning were unreliable, unusable almost. glxgears was showing around 60fps.

As a test I've just done a new build from the v0.10.0 noobs image. Updated the OS via apt-get update/upgrade, updated OpenPlotter and OpenCPN via the update function in Openplotter. I'm now at v0.14.4/v4.8.0 exactly the same level as my poorly performing system but I got there in one step.

Now though I can pan and zoom smoothly, performance is really usable. glxgears is now showing around 160fps.

Perhaps the problems were induced because previously I'd gone from 0.10.0 to 0.14.4 in a number of steps or perhaps it is due to configuration I've done. That's my next step; to reintroduce those changes.

At least the exercise has I think ruled out OP/OpenCPN and my hardware set up as the culprits. I will now go through my own configuration steps carefully.

Chris
Old 17-08-2017, 06:49   #28

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thuid View Post
With Raspberry Pi's on occasion they just need to be reloaded from scratch. I have found this to be true many times with my Pi's I have doing different tasks. After a few patches/updates or just a bad reboot/power loss they just seem to have a brain fart. I suspect that something happens to the SD card, probably the temp files or memory swap files. I have never found out exactly what does it, I just have to bite the bullet and do a r

Unfortunately the wear leveling on sd cards ensures that they can corrupt any part of their memory whenever you perform any write, if power is lost.

This means that making read-only partitions is useless as protection. I figured out you could rig up a few ultra capacitors along with balancing resistors and some diodes to keep the raspberry running for 20 - 30 seconds and also signal it to a gpio pin.

ebuild. I have gotten into the habit now if I find a build that works good, I now do an image of the card for backup that way saves the reinstall from scratch.

As mentioned above the tip about quality power supply and cables is a valid one to check at first look. Also if you have tried everything including a rebuild from scratch. For giggles try a different SD card, some just have issues no matter what you do even after they worked fine before.[/QUOTE]
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2017, 09:38   #29
Marine Service Provider

Se this post how to solve this power issue: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f134/linux-config-loss-on-power-fail-184804.html#post2393825

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
Unfortunately the wear leveling on sd cards ensures that they can corrupt any part of their memory whenever you perform any write, if power is lost.

This means that making read-only partitions is useless as protection. I figured out you could rig up a few ultra capacitors along with balancing resistors and some diodes to keep the raspberry running for 20 - 30 seconds and also signal it to a gpio pin.

ebuild. I have gotten into the habit now if I find a build that works good, I now do an image of the card for backup that way saves the reinstall from scratch.

As mentioned above the tip about quality power supply and cables is a valid one to check at first look. Also if you have tried everything including a rebuild from scratch. For giggles try a different SD card, some just have issues no matter what you do even after they worked fine before.
[/QUOTE]
petter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2017, 13:03   #30

Boat: Halmatic 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post

[/QUOTE]

Just upgraded my Raspberry Pi 3 to the latest debian Linux version called Stretch.

I have upgrade the present Jessie version with OpenPlotter via the server settings. Although this is not recommanded.

But everything seems to work well. I also tried OpenGL with the Texture caching on and this seems to work. Screen movements are faster then before with the Jessie version.

I don't know if the oeSENC fingerprint has survived the update.

Bram
verkerkbr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, opencpn