Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2018, 20:16   #16

Boat: Telstar 28
Re: OpenCPN Version 4.8.4 Released

Pavel you are the greatest.....done! Thanks for the quick help.
Randy
SVLydia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2018, 12:21   #17

Had a crash last night on my Linux Mint 18.04 64 bit system. Not sure if this helps, but if it does let me know and I will send more if they occur.

dpaste: 25JSR5C: open CPN crash in Linux Mint 18.03, by Randy
Old 24-04-2018, 16:57   #18

Boat: Dufour 35

What's new in 4.8.4?
The new version is a maintenance release, never the less 2 new features made it into the release.

* Belgian OSM charts are added to the chart down loader list.

* In Options->Ships->Own Ship->Tracks->Highlight Color, the color of your tracks can be set to a custom color. Using this is a good idea as your own track will have a different color from from AIS-target-tracks.

Anything else?

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2018, 18:51   #19

I am running Raspbian Stretch on an Rpi3 and I am having the Rpi lock up with OpenCpn 4.8.2 when I resize the terminal it is running in. So I am trying to update to 4.8.4 (anyway) but it says add-apt-repository: command not found?

I also tried sudo apt-key ... and it said fail to start the dirmgr 'usr/bin/dirmgr' no such file or directory?

I don't know what changed, 4.8.2 was working on this Rpi, I only recently updated charts.

Any thoughts on how I should proceed from here?

thanks,
CapnRon47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2018, 01:49   #20

Boat: Halmatic 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnRon47 View Post
I am running Raspbian Stretch on an Rpi3 and I am having the Rpi lock up with OpenCpn 4.8.2 when I resize the terminal it is running in. So I am trying to update to 4.8.4 (anyway) but it says add-apt-repository: command not found?

I also tried sudo apt-key ... and it said fail to start the dirmgr 'usr/bin/dirmgr' no such file or directory?

I don't know what changed, 4.8.2 was working on this Rpi, I only recently updated charts.

Any thoughts on how I should proceed from here?

thanks,
Dear CR,

you can simply update with synaptic.

If you don't have Synaptic. install it.

sudo apt install synaptic

But then at first look at the server settings packet sources.

http://ppa.launchpad.net/opencp/opencpn/ubuntu
xenial
main

Then you have the right server settings

Go to search for opencpn

and you see the new updates. Click on square, update and then arrow in the top of the screen.

Bram
verkerkbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2018, 05:37   #21

Boat: Najad 34

Dave..
This pop-up need translation.
The same for the vector charts

Thanks
Håkan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	weigtning.PNG
Views:	144
Size:	1.9 KB
ID:	168749  
Hakan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2018, 17:47   #22

Tried installing the findit plugin and got the following message:

opencpn-plugin-findit:
Depends: libwxbase2.8-0 (>=2.8.12.1+dfsg2) but it is not installable
Depends: libwxgtk2.8-0 (>=2.8.12.1+dfsg2) but it is not installable
Depends: wx2.8-i18n but it is not installable

Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug?

Running Linux Mint 18.3

Randy
Old 26-04-2018, 17:50   #23

Boat: Phantom 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVLydia View Post
Tried installing the findit plugin and got the following message:

opencpn-plugin-findit:
Depends: libwxbase2.8-0 (>=2.8.12.1+dfsg2) but it is not installable
Depends: libwxgtk2.8-0 (>=2.8.12.1+dfsg2) but it is not installable
Depends: wx2.8-i18n but it is not installable

Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug?

Running Linux Mint 18.3

Randy
Randy...
This plugin needs to be rebuilt to support current OpenCPN releases. Will happen sometime when I have time and nothing more urgent to do.

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2018, 19:42   #24

Thanks Pavel, I will pariently wait....I do appreciate all the hard work you guys do with CPN.

Randy
Old 28-04-2018, 18:25   #25

Hi all, thanks for this timely update. I'm preparing for my spring launch, and try not to make any updates once I'm sailing, so this is very timely.

As some of you know, I really "stress test" each version, doing all sorts of abusive things like running two portable installs simultaneously off the same SD card, with both instances looking a the same directories for charts and SENC files. I also manually edit the .ini files to have all path names as relative paths with no drive letters (in Windows), since every time I put my SD card into a different computer it comes up with a different drive letter. Also lots of AIS and instrument data coming in from both Bluetooth and Wifi, and passing to the second portable session (and other computers on my boat) via UDP multicast. Despite all this abuse, this version seems rock solid so far (running off my desktop computer at home).

In a couple weeks I'll move the SD card to my Windows tablet for use in the cockpit, and I'll give it a test in a real-time situation (instead of just running VDR playback).

Thanks again!
Old 28-04-2018, 20:59   #26

I pulled the tablet off my boat and started testing my portable configuration of the new version on the tablet. I have a low resolution Windows tablet (1280x800). I immediately noticed that my OwnShip icon and all the AIS icons were HUGE (about 3x the size on previous version), and so big that they were obscuring critical chart details. By adjusting "Ship Scale Factor" from the default of 0 to -5, the AIS icons were restored to their prior size, but the OwnShip icon is not affected and still way larger than needed.

After researching this, I learned that "this is a feature not a bug":

Quote:
Ship & AIS Scale Factor

If the “Enable Tablet Scaled Graphics interface” is checked, the slider “Ship scale factor” changes the size of chart objects including: Ship Icon, AIS & ATON Symbols.

We do not reduce the ownship size below effective value of 0, so to be sure of always finding the ship on the screen. A user safety point.
I was always able to find my ship on the screen on prior versions, and do not need it 3x larger. No matter how small the OwnShip icon is, simply tapping-clicking on the "Auto Follow" button always brings the OwnShip icon to a place where it's easily found regardless of its size. I suggest that you remove this "feature" and keep OwnShip size in proportion to the other AIS and ATON symbols, since it seems unusual that someone would really want their OwnShip icon to be so much larger than everything else.

I was able to kludge a solution by entering a bunch of size information into the Real Scale Bitmap option, but this may be a bit more complication than many users want. I think it would be a better to default to having the OwnShip icon reduced in size with all other icons, and if someone really wants a big OwnShip icon, let them play with Minimum Screen Size setting to get it.

[Note: FYI, the documentation quoted above is not fully accurage. For me the "Ship scale factor" works without Tablet Scaled Graphics" checked. I only have "Enable Touchscreen interface" checked.]
Old 29-04-2018, 06:19   #27
Marine Service Provider

RD....

Check the options->Display->Advanced->Physical Screen Width

I should be correct automatically. If not, set it manually. This factor controls most symbol scaling functions

Dave
bdbcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2018, 10:38   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
RD....

Check the options->Display->Advanced->Physical Screen Width

I should be correct automatically. If not, set it manually. This factor controls most symbol scaling functions

Dave
Thanks, but the automatically detected width is correct. If I set it to manual and "lie" about the screen being larger than it is, I get a more reasonable icon size. I'd rather do the custom icon with my boat size and minimum icon size.

I have started to notice an intermittent (but frequent) bug. When I pan the chart and then re-activate auto follow, sometimes the window will go totally blue (as in deep water), and overzoom warning comes on. But no matter what I do to reduce the zoom, nothing happens. Invariably a crash happens within a less than a minute. Upon re-launching, the window is zoomed all the way out (I see the base map for the whole world), and have to zoom way in to get back to the view that I had before.

Let me know if there are log files that I can provide. And recognize that I do all sorts of things in the .ini file with relative paths, etc., which might be contributing to this problem.
Old 07-05-2018, 10:17   #29

I had to rebuild my Rpi system after a recent failure. I loaded the latest Raspbian 'Stretch' using Etcher loader on an SD card. I updated the system and added the Synaptic Package Manager and I added to its repository
Index of /opencpn/opencpn/ubuntu xenial main. But is says the signature could not be verified because of no public key.

I tried the apt-add-repository command, but it says no such command
I tried apt-key adv .... C865EB40 failed to start dirmngr no such file...

Somewhere I have missed adding some necessary dependencies. Can anyone help?

thanks,
Ron
Old 07-05-2018, 10:49   #30

rather than use the synaptic package manager I went back to the installation instructions for OpenCPN for Rpi 2/3. I will see if this works.

Tags
enc, lease, opencpn