Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2018, 06:58   #61

Boat: Morgan 384, 38 ft.
Re: OpenCPN Version 4.8.4 Released

It may be there, but is not visible. Please be patient with me. I am not a computer expert. I am opening Finder, opening MacintoshHD, opening library, opening preferences. I do not see the OpenCPN folder or navobj.xml file anywhere. A search does not find them either.

Back in May when you helped me put my data file into OpenCPN 4.8.4, I had no trouble finding the folder or file. This change shortly afterwords, and I have not been able to find these since. My data, tracks, waypoints, etc are still there when I open OpenCPN as are all these from my recent cruise.

morgan38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 07:33   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgan38 View Post
It may be there, but is not visible. Please be patient with me. I am not a computer expert. I am opening Finder, opening MacintoshHD, opening library, opening preferences. I do not see the OpenCPN folder or navobj.xml file anywhere. A search does not find them either.

Back in May when you helped me put my data file into OpenCPN 4.8.4, I had no trouble finding the folder or file. This change shortly afterwords, and I have not been able to find these since. My data, tracks, waypoints, etc are still there when I open OpenCPN as are all these from my recent cruise.
You should:
Open Finder, Go to the Users folder, go to the <your username> folder, go to Library folder, go to the Preferences folder, go to the opencpn folder, everything you are looking for is there.

These are NOT the same folders as the ones you are looking at at the top level in "Macintosh HD"

Nothing changed at any moment in time, you are just looking at a wrong place now.

nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 07:42   #63

Boat: Amel Sharki

Quote:
Wrong! Correct is:

- Open Finder
- Open MacintoshHD
- DO NOT open Library but open Users!!!
- Open your user name!!! That is your home directory.

- Open Library
- Open Preferences
- Open opencpn

Not need to be a computer expert but know to read.

Gerhard
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 08:44   #64

Already tried going through my user folder. No library folder there. The guest folder has a library folder, but I cannot open it even though I have admin privileges. Yes, I tried changing the security setup for Guest too.

Car no sense getting rude. With advanced degrees in science and engineering, I think my reading skills are adequate.
Old 08-07-2018, 09:06   #65

Quote:
Already tried going through my user folder. No library folder there. The guest folder has a library folder, but I cannot open it even though I have admin privileges. Yes, I tried changing the security setup for Guest too.

Car no sense getting rude. With advanced degrees in science and engineering, I think my reading skills are adequate.
It is absolutely impossible that there wasn't a Library folder in your user's home directory on macOS as pretty much every single application and OS component has it's data stored there. I do not understand why you mix what you do with Guest account at all.
You may switch hidden content display in finder by pressing Command+Shift+Period although these folders are not hidden, at least on my systems.
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 10:34   #66

Apple purposely hides user library folders. They are accessible using a few simple steps.

Tags
enc, lease, opencpn