Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2018, 00:50   #151
Moo

Re: OpenCPN Version 4.8.2 Released

Quote:
Originally Posted by kealaura View Post
Hi guys,
I want to thank you for all the work you out into the program! I'm working for a couple of years now with it and am quite satisfied. Will try the new version today.
One question to the funktion of waypoints: is it possible to fade a symbol in or out, e.g.with a button in the waypoint-list to show the layer or keep it unseen to the background similar to the layer-funktions e.g. in photoshop?
Thanks for your answer and greetings from the Northsea
You can load a set of waypoints as "Layer" (see layers in the manual) but a set of data installed as a layer is not editable. Once you have a set of data loaded as a layer you can turn that layer on or off in the Tracks, Routes, Waypoints and Layers manager.

Like you I would like to see a button on the tool bar that turned off all waypoints as having waypoints on is not desirable in some circumstances such as when zoomed out to look at a GRIB file or Climatology. I imagine that this button would work in the same way as the for example the "Tides" button does.

I think this in entered as a feature request but I have not been back to check on its status recently.
Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2018, 02:41   #152

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo View Post
You can load a set of waypoints as "Layer" (see layers in the manual) but a set of data installed as a layer is not editable. Once you have a set of data loaded as a layer you can turn that layer on or off in the Tracks, Routes, Waypoints and Layers manager.

Like you I would like to see a button on the tool bar that turned off all waypoints as having waypoints on is not desirable in some circumstances such as when zoomed out to look at a GRIB file or Climatology. I imagine that this button would work in the same way as the for example the "Tides" button does.

I think this in entered as a feature request but I have not been back to check on its status recently.
Thanks for the quick answer! I wish there would be a simple button for waypoint like the "eye" in the route and track manager over which I can switsch tracks and routes on and off. Any idea?
kealaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2018, 03:25   #153

Boat: Phantom 19

Quote:
Thanks for the quick answer! I wish there would be a simple button for waypoint like the "eye" in the route and track manager over which I can switsch tracks and routes on and off. Any idea?
Just click on the waypoint icon in the manager to change the visibility, it has exactly the same function as the "eye" for routes and tracks.
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2018, 03:52   #154
Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
Just click on the waypoint icon in the manager to change the visibility, it has exactly the same function as the "eye" for routes and tracks.
Nohal, this only works for one waypoint at a time.

What he is asking for, and often requested feature, is a way to turn all waypoints off/on.

Kealaura, The only way you can currently achieve what you want to do is to load your waypoints into a layer. Once they are a layer you can click the eye icon to turn them on and off all together.

To achieve this is a pain in the arse but it can be done.
  1. Select all of your waypoints and export them to a file e.g. waypoints.gpx
  2. Backup waypoints.gpx somewhere safe *important*
  3. Copy waypoints.gpx into the layers directory (as specified in the link I gave you before).
  4. Close OpenCPN and open again
  5. You should now have a waypoints layer in the layers window, but you will actually have the original waypoints and those in the layer - click the eye to turn the layer off.
  6. Pick a couple of waypoints and delete them then click the layers eye again and you should see the waypoints that are now part of the layer reappear - this confirms that it is working.
  7. Turn off the layer
  8. Go ahead and delete all your waypoints
  9. Turn on the layer and viola all that waypoint reappear as one.

The pain in the arse in this is that if you add a more waypoints you have to export them and either using an external GPX editor add them to the layer file or add the new waypoints as another layer.
Old 17-04-2018, 04:00   #155

Boat: Phantom 19

Quote:
Nohal, this only works for one waypoint at a time.

What he is asking for, and often requested feature, is a way to turn all waypoints off/on.

Kealaura, The only way you can currently achieve what you want to do is to load your waypoints into a layer. Once they are a layer you can click the eye icon to turn them on and off all together.

To achieve this is a pain in the arse but it can be done.
  1. Select all of your waypoints and export them to a file e.g. waypoints.gpx
  2. Backup waypoints.gpx somewhere safe *important*
  3. Copy waypoints.gpx into the layers directory (as specified in the link I gave you before).
  4. Close OpenCPN and open again
  5. You should now have a waypoints layer in the layers window, but you will actually have the original waypoints and those in the layer - click the eye to turn the layer off.
  6. Pick a couple of waypoints and delete them then click the layers eye again and you should see the waypoints that are now part of the layer reappear - this confirms that it is working.
  7. Turn off the layer
  8. Go ahead and delete all your waypoints
  9. Turn on the layer and viola all that waypoint reappear as one.

The pain in the arse in this is that if you add a more waypoints you have to export them and either using an external GPX editor add them to the layer file or add the new waypoints as another layer.
I haven't seen him mention "all at the same time" in any of his posts, he also explicitly mentioned the functionality provided by the "eye" icon for routes and tracks, which hides and shows one at a time. I also do understand what you ask for and that is a feature request not currently implemented as you correctly note.
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2018, 21:30   #156
Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
I haven't seen him mention "all at the same time" in any of his posts, he also explicitly mentioned the functionality provided by the "eye" icon for routes and tracks, which hides and shows one at a time. I also do understand what you ask for and that is a feature request not currently implemented as you correctly note.
Reading back maybe you are right but I think the OP used terms like "waypoints" and "waypoint" interchangeably and also talked about the layer or waypoints so I understood that he meant all waypoints all together. Hopefully the OP will get back to us an clarify
Old 18-04-2018, 00:24   #157

Quote:
Reading back maybe you are right but I think the OP used terms like "waypoints" and "waypoint" interchangeably and also talked about the layer or waypoints so I understood that he meant all waypoints all together. Hopefully the OP will get back to us an clarify
A huge thank you to all of you! you've been a big help to me, my problem is solved.
with greetings fro the Northsea
kealaura
kealaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2018, 07:47   #158

Hello, I have done extensive cruising over the past 17 years using a gamut of electronic charts. I plan to now use OpenCPN as my main program. Overall the program has evolved nicely. Thank You.
I do have a suggestion.
An easy/uncomplicated way to lock and unlock routes/marks. A button comes to mind. I feel presently the number of steps to lock/unlock chart overlays is way too cumbersome. A tired sailor can inadvertently move a point which is at best inconvenient, at worst dangerous.
Red2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2018, 07:57   #159
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red2 View Post
Hello, I have done extensive cruising over the past 17 years using a gamut of electronic charts. I plan to now use OpenCPN as my main program. Overall the program has evolved nicely. Thank You.
I do have a suggestion.
An easy/uncomplicated way to lock and unlock routes/marks. A button comes to mind. I feel presently the number of steps to lock/unlock chart overlays is way too cumbersome. A tired sailor can inadvertently move a point which is at best inconvenient, at worst dangerous.
Have you tried the lock waypoints checkbox in the display/advanced menu?

Then you can only move a waypoint if the dialog box is open.

https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...rks_and_routes
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2018, 08:45   #160

I do get the Options/Display/Advanced check box. Moving along a route or point I prefer locked. If then you want to modify a point/s on your path or create a new route etc. Going in and out of Options/Display/Advanced seems cumbersome to me. A button, or right click edit or lock unlock might work.
Old 18-04-2018, 09:40   #161
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
I do get the Options/Display/Advanced check box. Moving along a route or point I prefer locked. If then you want to modify a point/s on your path or create a new route etc. Going in and out of Options/Display/Advanced seems cumbersome to me. A button, or right click edit or lock unlock might work.
You don't actually need to unset the lock checkbox, just double click on the waypoint then move it. That's all that changes, create route, delete route are not affected. All it does is stop you moving a waypoint with a single click.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2018, 09:40   #162

Boat: Gib'Sea 402

I think you should read the manual. Once you have opened the waypoint dialogue you can edit as many waypoints as you wish. There is no need to go back to the tools options. Then close the WP dialogue. Next time you click on a WP you can edit again as you wish
hoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2018, 10:30   #163

Your right I should have read the manual. Thanks for the reply. Double click works great.

I have a second issue. I use range an bearing lines a lot and will often use several at a time. The right click "Measure" line disappears with a measure off click, (which I understand) so I assume "route" can be used.... I played with the draw plugin which works and will stores those lines/boundaries in a different spot which is also good, however the plug-in does crash my win 10 when installed. I apologize if this issue has been already been addressed.
Old 18-04-2018, 12:15   #164
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Quote:
I played with the draw plugin which works and will stores those lines/boundaries in a different spot which is also good, however the plug-in does crash my win 10 when installed. I apologize if this issue has been already been addressed.
Please post this in the Draw thread or just open a specific one.
If you can reproduce the crash and the parameters used, even better.
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2018, 13:02   #165
Moo

Quote:
A huge thank you to all of you! you've been a big help to me, my problem is solved.
with greetings fro the Northsea
kealaura
Can you please clarify whether you were trying to show/hide all waypoints or just one waypoint at a time, please?

And which suggested solution did you use?

Tags
enc, lease, opencpn