Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2016, 20:41   #136
Marine Service Provider

Re: OpenCPN Version 4.2 Released

@jon...

See my note on github re i18 issues. It is a large issue.

I don't expect any general solution to this issue for O4 series. Perhaps we should look at specific problem cases, and discuss workarounds or alternatives.

If it is just a problem with the debug environment, I suggest you hack wxWidgets to kill the wxAssert, rebuild the debug libs, and carry on. At least you won't be annoyed by asserts that break the UI.

I note in passing that the GRIB plugin, for example, translates dialogs OK AFAICT.

Dave
bdbcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 20:55   #137

Boat: Endeavour 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
brankin...

Can you post a logfile, or give us any more specific information about plugins, charts, opengl, anything else?

One specific question:
How are you doing chart updates if the "Wrench" icon is not active?

OK, another:
When you say "menu bar", do you mean menu bar with words like "Navigate/View/AIS/Tools", or do you mean tool bar with icons like the wrench?

Thanks
Dave
Dave
I already went back to 4.0. If you want me to I can try it again if you can tell me exactly what you are looking for. Basically, nothing worked.
brankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 21:02   #138
Marine Service Provider

brankin....

If not too much trouble, it would sure help us.

Install O4.2 as an upgrade, just as you did before. Try to run it, Probably fail in the same way. Try to exit cleanly, if it doesn't crash. Then, we would need to look at the logfile from an unsuccessful run. On Windows7/8/10, this will probably be in

Code:
ProgramData/opencpn/opencpn.log
Thanks
Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	log.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	194.8 KB
ID:	118692  
Old 09-02-2016, 21:27   #139

I am not able to install plugins on Xubuntu (15.10) for some reason. I set the ppa to nohal/opencpn and also tried opencpn/opencpn, but I am getting a message saying that libwx<something> is missing and can't be fixed.

The Xubuntu is a fresh install as is O4.2.

Wrong repository or ??

Cheers, ....Erik.
Home
ve7mdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 21:32   #140
Marine Service Provider

Eric...

Which PlugIns are causing trouble?

Dave
Old 09-02-2016, 22:55   #141

Boat: Richter 42

Dave,
I have just checked the GRIB plugin and it does not work correctly, as in displaying localised number formats, for decimal numbers. Also, the GRIB plugin only displays numbers and does not allow the user to modify them. In OD I need to display and allow the user to modify distances, time and bearings/angles all of which require decimals and some require negative number and some must not be smaller than zero.

Jon
jongough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 02:36   #142

Quote:
Folks...

A bit of update:

1. The problem with crash on route create near existing route point is resolved in github. Once again, it affects only non-OpenGL users. A gentle reminder that when you report bugs, we need to know everything you can think of to get the debugging context right. The first step in bug fixing is always to reproduce the error systematically, and sometime this takes more time than actually fixing the darn thing.

2. The georef problem (in non-OpenGL mode again) for non-WGS-84 raster charts has been identified as a simple typo error. Fixed in github.
Not too many will be affected by this bug.
@tiersp, if you need a quick fix, I'll build you one and place it on Dropbox. Let me know...

There is some trouble with incompatible PlugIns leftover from previous O4 installations. I'll tackle that next.

We may decide to issue a hot fix for these three issues, at least. We'll see how it goes. I don't want to exercise the Release machinery unnecessarily.

Am I missing any issues that seem pervasive or especially annoying?

Thanks
Dave
Thank you very mutch Dave to have resolve the problem.
I do not need a quick fix, i will navigate in april.
just a note, with previous versions, I could not click use OpenGL, and now I can, but it's a can slower than without.
tiersp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 03:13   #143
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ve7mdl View Post
I am not able to install plugins on Xubuntu (15.10) for some reason. I set the ppa to nohal/opencpn and also tried opencpn/opencpn, but I am getting a message saying that libwx<something> is missing and can't be fixed.

The Xubuntu is a fresh install as is O4.2.

Wrong repository or ??

Cheers, ....Erik.
Home
Did you install opencpn 4.2 from PPA ?? I'm running 4.2 under Xubuntu 15.10 and plugins installs fine.
petter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 05:13   #144

Boat: Endeavour 43

Quote:
brankin....

If not too much trouble, it would sure help us.

Install O4.2 as an upgrade, just as you did before. Try to run it, Probably fail in the same way. Try to exit cleanly, if it doesn't crash. Then, we would need to look at the logfile from an unsuccessful run. On Windows7/8/10, this will probably be in

Code:
ProgramData/opencpn/opencpn.log
Thanks
Dave
I need your email to send you the log. The file exceeds the file size limit for the upload.
brankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 05:46   #145

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Brankin,

We often add .pdf to the end and try uploading. That file format allows greater KB.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 05:53   #146

Boat: DEHLER 31, 9m40

Quote:
Folks...

A bit of update:

1. The problem with crash on route create near existing route point is resolved in github. Once again, it affects only non-OpenGL users. A gentle reminder that when you report bugs, we need to know everything you can think of to get the debugging context right. The first step in bug fixing is always to reproduce the error systematically, and sometime this takes more time than actually fixing the darn thing.

2. The georef problem (in non-OpenGL mode again) for non-WGS-84 raster charts has been identified as a simple typo error. Fixed in github.
Not too many will be affected by this bug.
@tiersp, if you need a quick fix, I'll build you one and place it on Dropbox. Let me know...

There is some trouble with incompatible PlugIns leftover from previous O4 installations. I'll tackle that next.

We may decide to issue a hot fix for these three issues, at least. We'll see how it goes. I don't want to exercise the Release machinery unnecessarily.

Am I missing any issues that seem pervasive or especially annoying?

Thanks
Dave
Hi Dave

I tested O4.2 on both Win10 and Linux Ubuntu, and activating OpenGL solves the problem, I can confirm it's OK.
So personally no need to urge the Release machinery, I can wait....

May I mention one thing related to Toolbar usage, found specially on my Linux PC O4.2 version ( but not on windowsXP nor 10), but it was similar on 4.0/LINUX:
- not related to OpenGL , on or off has the same behaviour
- but related to Enable Toolbar auto-hide On/Off
- when off ( Toolbar always shown)
* after a first usage of the Create Route button, the Toolbar gets impossible to click any button
- when On
* if set to 2 sec, in such a way that it hides after each button click , so everytime I get to "unhide" the Toolbar, even after having clicked once on Create Route, evething OK
* if set a delay to let the Toolbar shown longer time, like to 10 sec, and if I click button after having clicked a first Create Route AND Toolbar not hidden, Toolbar has no access to a second click of any button, same as when auto-hide=Off

At this time my workaround is using the Menu Bar for standard functionalities, at least Route Creation, and have a limited usage of Toolbar like for plugins, so it's not a stopper for me, and not sailing yet before april, this is just to mention it.

My system is EeePC with LINUX-UBUNTU 14.04.3

I hope this is clear enough and hope this can help ...
Many thanks for all your efforts ...

Dom
DomNomade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 05:53   #147

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by brankin View Post
I need your email to send you the log. The file exceeds the file size limit for the upload.
Compress the file and add .pdf to the file name. Then it will be small and the web site will accept the name.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 06:18   #148

Boat: Wharram Tiki 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfreddie View Post
Dave:
Thanks, that was just the ticket! Wow, look at it go!

Thanks,
Freddie
It's really a JobCount more than a CPU count.
You can benefit from queuing more jobs than you have CPUs, if you have fast storage.

You can also use CPUs to advantage when building OpenCPN by using the make switch -jN where N=number of jobs to execute in parallel.

On your TK1 working from a SSD try: make -j6

Cheers,
JM.
NahanniV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 06:51   #149

Boat: Kelt 8.50

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomNomade View Post
Hi Dave

I tested O4.2 on both Win10 and Linux Ubuntu, and activating OpenGL solves the problem, I can confirm it's OK.
So personally no need to urge the Release machinery, I can wait....

May I mention one thing related to Toolbar usage, found specially on my Linux PC O4.2 version ( but not on windowsXP nor 10), but it was similar on 4.0/LINUX:
- not related to OpenGL , on or off has the same behaviour
- but related to Enable Toolbar auto-hide On/Off
- when off ( Toolbar always shown)
* after a first usage of the Create Route button, the Toolbar gets impossible to click any button
- when On
* if set to 2 sec, in such a way that it hides after each button click , so everytime I get to "unhide" the Toolbar, even after having clicked once on Create Route, evething OK
* if set a delay to let the Toolbar shown longer time, like to 10 sec, and if I click button after having clicked a first Create Route AND Toolbar not hidden, Toolbar has no access to a second click of any button, same as when auto-hide=Off

At this time my workaround is using the Menu Bar for standard functionalities, at least Route Creation, and have a limited usage of Toolbar like for plugins, so it's not a stopper for me, and not sailing yet before april, this is just to mention it.

My system is EeePC with LINUX-UBUNTU 14.04.3

I hope this is clear enough and hope this can help ...
Many thanks for all your efforts ...

Dom
Related to FS1889

Jean-Marie
houlejm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 11:12   #150

Location: Behind the garlic curtain - east central Saskatchewan
Boat: Baylurker 2755

Quote:
Gilletarom...
Sorry for the troubles on the high density touch screen.
I think we simply need to increase the size of the "hot spot" that the move mark action should recognize. That way, the move action will happen, even if the finger is not exactly on the highlighted area. Even the highlighted area could be made larger, also.
Could this work?
Bob, what do you think?
Dave
Sorry for the delay in responding but I wanted to use 4.2 a little more before I expressed an opinion.

On the larger screen moving waypoints underway can be problematic if the screen leaps up and touches my finger when I'm not quite ready for it. Docked or on a calm passage I don't have trouble moving waypoints. I wonder if the solution could be something like what Gille proposed but initiated by a long press (which brings up the context menu), followed by a selection along the lines of "Enable Move" which would trigger some kind of handle such as what Gille suggested. That would avoid unwanted moves and enable forced moves when its difficult to get the waypoint's attention due to boat movement.
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, lease, opencpn