Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 10-01-2015, 06:23   #46

Boat: Beason 31
Re: OpenCPN Version 4.0 Released

The new version tested here both on Win8.1 and the new Windows 10 Technical Preview.
No issues - lovely !!!

Old 10-01-2015, 07:20   #47

Boat: Dufour 35

I'm a bit late for the party......

To Dave and the team - Congratulations to a job well done.
It looks like a successful launch without any major issues so far.
A lot of hard work has paid off. Version 4.0 looks like a winner.

Thomas

Old 10-01-2015, 07:51   #48

Boat: 10.50 mètres

Hello Thomas,

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
I'm a bit late for the party......

To Dave and the team - Congratulations to a job well done.
It looks like a successful launch without any major issues so far.
A lot of hard work has paid off. Version 4.0 looks like a winner.

Thomas
No, you're on time. if I understood, how long have you invested in updating the wiki?

So Much.

Without this activity, which is not a developer of business, we could not explain, here in France, all the subtleties, all the intricacies , of the operation of O.

So thank you Thomas.
Old 10-01-2015, 11:44   #49

Boat: Beneteau First 29 Ptizef

4.0 loaded... Great !

Dave
Congratulation and many thanks for you and all the team developers and testers for this release which is a major milestone in OpenCpn's life

Jean Pierre
Old 10-01-2015, 12:25   #50
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sunshine 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorF54 View Post
Thanks Dave
I've posted the question on a major French forum (Hisse-et-Ho): Is there a number of potential O users still on 10.6 Snow Leopard ?
I'll let you know...
Right now, (Saturday 20.30 French (CET) time), 6 potential users have come forward. They mainly cannot upgrade.
See Jean Pfumf #45 for another suggestion
OpenCPN Version 4.0 Released

Download statistics are right now
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image001.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	95278  
Old 10-01-2015, 13:14   #51

Trust me. I have done everything as instructed installing OpenCPN and installed from source without changing anything in the CmakeCache.txt file. I have installed all modular packages to make sure nothing is missing: root@localhost:/# cmake -DPREFIX=/usr -DCMAKE_VERBOSE_MAKEFILE:BOOL=TRUE -DBUNDLE_DOCS=ON -DBUNDLE_TCDATA=ON -DBUNDLE_GSHHS=FULL /home/android/Downloads4/OpenCPN

I copied and extracted the entire gshhs set as per instructions here: Just the crude GSHHS data are now contained in the code repository, to use the higher levels, get the whole dataset from opencpnplugins - Browse /opencpn_packaging_data at SourceForge.net and extract to the data/gshhs subfolder of your local repository.

I created UserIcons, dropped ship_red.png in there and renamed 'ownship.png'.

None of the ownship icons show on the chart, UNTIL I install libgl1-mesa-swx11 which removes 1) freeglut3-dev
2) libcoin60-dev
3) libgl1-mesa-dev
4) libgl1-mesa-glx
5) libglew1.6-dev
6) libglu1-mesa-dev
7) openjdk-7-jre

Then and only then with opengl enabled in settings does the ownship appear.

So, a change has been implemented that requires opengl be enabled before the ownship and most likely lots of other crucial details will show.

Odds are most users are installing OpenCPN from binaries on devices opengl compatible. So, this problem only occurs with users wanting to install the most recent versions of OpenCPN on their androids. Problem is, even though opengl appears to work on androids it doesn't. For example, with opengl enabled text disappears. Pretty darned important!

So, you've left us behind...
Old 10-01-2015, 13:23   #52

Wrong...
Ownship works just fine without OpenGL on all the supported platforms.
I would really love to help you, but I simply have exactly zero Android tablets...

Pavel

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 10-01-2015, 14:03   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
Wrong...
Ownship works just fine without OpenGL on all the supported platforms.
I would really love to help you, but I simply have exactly zero Android tablets...

Pavel

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
With all due respect. It's a pretty tenuous guess that after nearly 48,000 hits on my thread here, plus the thousands more on other threads of mine, salt and peppered here and there, a significant number of folks have successfully installed OpenCPN on their androids per my instructions. I only hear from those who diverge from the instructions and need help. What makes android devices running OpenCPN in a chroot environment any less deserving of support than the others? It's been an alternative platform for almost three years now.

Updates were installing and running without the opengl issue before. I've asked what change was implemented that gave rise to the problem and have been simply dismissed out of hand, told it's most likely a configuration problem. Well, it's not.

Androids are cheap. If you or any other of the developers have never followed my instructions, even out of curiosity, why not?

Makes me question the value of my time, effort and hosting the instructions at opencpn.org.
Old 10-01-2015, 14:13   #54

Boat: Edel 4DL 7m10

Good job to all developpers and contributors and a special mention to Gilletarom for his work on his website about Opencpn french tutorial.

Long life to Opencpn
Old 10-01-2015, 14:27   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
With all due respect. It's a pretty tenuous guess that after nearly 48,000 hits on my thread here, plus the thousands more on other threads of mine, salt and peppered here and there, a significant number of folks have successfully installed OpenCPN on their androids per my instructions. I only hear from those who diverge from the instructions and need help. What makes android devices running OpenCPN in a chroot environment any less deserving of support than the others? It's been an alternative platform for almost three years now.

Updates were installing and running without the opengl issue before. I've asked what change was implemented that gave rise to the problem and have been simply dismissed out of hand, told it's most likely a configuration problem. Well, it's not.

Androids are cheap. If you or any other of the developers have never followed my instructions, even out of curiosity, why not?

Makes me question the value of my time, effort and hosting the instructions at opencpn.org.
Wrong...
We simply can't follow your instructions as we do not have the hardware. Do not take it personally, we really appreciate your efforts, but unless you identify what limitation of your platform causes the problems and which change to the code made it apparent, we can't work them around.
When I out of curiosity get an Android tablet, your instructions will be among the first things to try, of course. At this point I'm just too busy and not curious enough.

Pavel
Old 10-01-2015, 14:49   #56

Quote:
Wrong...
We simply can't follow your instructions as we do not have the hardware. Do not take it personally, we really appreciate your efforts, but unless you identify what limitation of your platform causes the problems and which change to the code made it apparent, we can't work them around.
When I out of curiosity get an Android tablet, your instructions will be among the first things to try, of course. At this point I'm just too busy and not curious enough.

Pavel
You, not I write and modify the code. It seems to me a stretch that you cannot understand what change has introduced this problem associated with an all or nothing opengl capability.

I'm supposed to take the responsibility for explaining why OpenCPN worked flawlessly on androids in a linux chroot environment, until suddenly one day it don't anymore?

I hardly see any reason for maintaining my instructions at opencpn.org any longer. So, please delete the entirety of my work.

I'm done with it.
Old 11-01-2015, 00:18   #57

Boat: bristol 27

Quote:
Wrong...
We simply can't follow your instructions as we do not have the hardware.
If you are so inclined, it isn't difficult to use qemu.

I don't have any android tablet hardware, but have managed to build and test the apk which runs natively on android via emulator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
You, not I write and modify the code. It seems to me a stretch that you cannot understand what change has introduced this problem associated with an all or nothing opengl capability.

I'm supposed to take the responsibility for explaining why OpenCPN worked flawlessly on androids in a linux chroot environment, until suddenly one day it don't anymore?
You don't have to, but if you do it would help fix the problem. Without people offering to fix the problems they cannot get fixed. For this case, you don't need to modify any code, but instead use git bisect to find the offending commit.
Old 11-01-2015, 00:31   #58

Sean...
Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
If you are so inclined, it isn't difficult to use qemu.

I don't have any android tablet hardware, but have managed to build and test the apk which runs natively on android via emulator.
Yes, I do run it in qemu, but can't reproduce Wrong's problem. Can you?
Old 11-01-2015, 11:34   #59

Quote:
Sean...

Yes, I do run it in qemu, but can't reproduce Wrong's problem. Can you?
Now, in addition to the default ownship issue, no waypoints or marks display either.

I've checked permissions, comparing the new 4.0 install 'opencpn' to 'opencpn.bak', saved from a working 3.3.1618 install.

From a December 09 post of mine, this problem has been progressive, beginning somewhere about the time 3.3.2107 was released:

Re: OpenCPN Beta Version 3.3.2107 Released, post #68
"In both Ubuntu Precise and Debian Wheezy the default ownship icon fails to display in the non-OpenGL mode, but displays fine in the OpenGL mode. Anyone else experiencing this problem or have a clue as to a possible explanation? Was never a problem until I enabled OpenGL and then switched back to non-OpenGL mode."

Whereas it was possible to use the 'real scale vector' ownship before, now it appears as a tiny dot and only begins to reveal it's shape nearing maximum zoom... Useless. The default ownship icon is simply a tiny dot that does not change even at maximum zoom.

When were the tablet options introduced?
Old 11-01-2015, 11:46   #60
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Wrong,

what does your "Physical Screen Width" (under Display/Advanced) say?
What happens if you play with that value?

Hubert

Tags
enc, lease, opencpn

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: