Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2015, 10:06   #376
Registered User
 
boat_alexandra's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: chesapeake bay
Boat: bristol 27
Posts: 2,824
Re: OpenCPN Version 4.0 Released

What is stopping someone from copying these charts? Why doesn't it work in linux?
__________________

__________________
boat_alexandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 10:14   #377
bcn
Registered User

Join Date: May 2011
Location: underway whenever possible
Boat: Rangeboat 39
Posts: 2,769
Re: OpenCPN Version 4.0 Released

Because VisitMyHarbor is licensing these charts from HO's like Admiralty and have to encrypt them.

Distribution in this case is via CD or a USB stick which act as a dongle.

The required library to use the charts is only available for Windows in the case of VisitMyHarbor
__________________

__________________
bcn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 10:42   #378
Registered User
 
boat_alexandra's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: chesapeake bay
Boat: bristol 27
Posts: 2,824
Re: OpenCPN Version 4.0 Released

So presumably this library only allows certain applications to read from these files somehow?

If opencpn can read them, then a hacked opencpn can just as easily write them somewhere else.
__________________
boat_alexandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 02:10   #379
bcn
Registered User

Join Date: May 2011
Location: underway whenever possible
Boat: Rangeboat 39
Posts: 2,769
Re: OpenCPN Version 4.0 Released

Just another example of an incorrect MMSI:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Captura de pantalla 2015-04-04 a las 10.05.36.png
Views:	113
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	99948  
__________________
bcn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 10:21   #380
Marine Service Provider
 
bdbcat's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,884
Re: OpenCPN Version 4.0 Released

Hubert, Thomas, et al....

I am not closely following the discussion of MMSI groups, etc. and incorrect query reportage.

Can someone please summarize?
What should we do, specifically?

Thanks
Dave
__________________
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 10:39   #381
bcn
Registered User

Join Date: May 2011
Location: underway whenever possible
Boat: Rangeboat 39
Posts: 2,769
Re: OpenCPN Version 4.0 Released

Dave,

no issue with OCPN, just with the operators of AIS equipment with erroneous MMSIs.
There was a short question if something was wrong with OCPN from an observation Thomas made, but our conclusion was that in this example an operator used the Group call MMSI in the AIS - where it not belongs, it is just a function for the radio, not for the proper identification of the vessel.
My example from today is just another illustration of the crap we can observe.

More stuff in this line:
Two weeks ago we had here the case of two superyachts on the same shipyard where their AIS defaulted to an identical non conform manufacturer MMSI (filling the mmsitoname log with alerts as the two ship names were different). A service technician finally was able to get one unit right and the other one from the second vessel had to be replaced.
In this moment there is a big cruise vessel in the Barcelona harbor and it seems that it has two AIS units on board, both active but one with "M/V Costa Atlantica" and the second one just with "Costa Atlantica" which yields a mismatch alert every time they send a static report message - first one unit, then the second one.
__________________
bcn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2015, 08:59   #382
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Minneapolis
Boat: Irwin 37 CC
Posts: 660
Re: OpenCPN Version 4.0 Released

VALDCO doesn't get converted to feet in this case.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	valdeco.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	204.6 KB
ID:	100360  
__________________
David Kester
Pegasus IV
wdkester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2015, 23:07   #383
Ancient Mariner
 
spiv's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Circumnavigating, currently in AU
Boat: FP, Salina 14.3m
Posts: 260
Send a message via Skype™ to spiv
Re: OpenCPN Version 4.0 Duplicta waypoints

Hi there,
just a small bug that happened to me once or twice before:

I set my anchor watch and go about doing other things like deleting tracks, hiding routes from Route Manager etc, when I go back to my ship position I find several waypoints.
This time I took notice and I deleted 7, some had 50m, 55m and 60m anchor watch distance.
50m is the standard one that comes first time, 55m and 60m are changes I made to the same waypoint on anchoring, a day after I let more rode out and settled finally at 65m.
However I did not create new waypoints, I just changed the 50 to 55, 60 and 65m.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OPCPN4  duplicated anchor.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	100417  
__________________
Keep smiling
Stefano
spiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2015, 16:41   #384
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Minneapolis
Boat: Irwin 37 CC
Posts: 660
Re: OpenCPN Version 4.0 Released

When you double left-click a mark (to retrieve the properties panel) the mark will move to align with the point of the cursor. If I'm just trying to change the name or add a comment, I'd rather it not move. Yes, I know you can use right-click; but this takes longer and it becomes one more nit to remember.

4.0 W7 opengl
__________________
David Kester
Pegasus IV
wdkester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2015, 17:34   #385
Registered User
 
sy_gilana's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: On board
Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Posts: 1,101
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana
Re: OpenCPN Version 4.0 Released

This might have been discussed before but I can't find the answer.

Several friends who upgraded to 4.0 Windows and the latest alpha in OA, have reported that the raster charts are skewed(previously installed on 3.xx) So it might be a cache issue. I have seen this and fixed it but can't remember how. Any link to the fix please?
__________________
Tight sheets to ya.
http://gilana.org
sy_gilana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2015, 03:06   #386
Registered User
 
rooiedirk's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Netherlands
Boat: Oneoff
Posts: 304
Re: OpenCPN Version 4.0 Released

Quote:
In this moment there is a big cruise vessel in the Barcelona harbor and it seems that it has two AIS units on board, both active but one with "M/V Costa Atlantica" and the second one just with "Costa Atlantica" which yields a mismatch alert every time they send a static report message - first one unit, then the second one.
Likely they have a tender with AIS. Officially a tender should have its own mmsi and callsign, but a quit a lot of ships just don't comply.
Would offcourse be nice if O doesn't fill your harddisk with multiple indentical "Mismatch".
__________________
rooiedirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2015, 03:46   #387
bcn
Registered User

Join Date: May 2011
Location: underway whenever possible
Boat: Rangeboat 39
Posts: 2,769
Re: OpenCPN Version 4.0 Released

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooiedirk View Post
Likely they have a tender with AIS. Officially a tender should have its own mmsi and callsign, but a quit a lot of ships just don't comply.
Would offcourse be nice if O doesn't fill your harddisk with multiple indentical "Mismatch".
The funny thing was that the position was not jumping, something we have observed with other dublicated MMSI. Behavior I would expect with a tender. So we can just speculate...

I like the "mismatch" entry on one hand as it alerts about conflicting information, but perhaps we would need a logic to discover that there are two alternating names/static messages to avoid filling up the log.

There are other candidates with somehow broken gear transmitting garbage sometimes - are always the same ships - and as the result is an accidently, random one here a simple strategy will not work.
__________________
bcn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2015, 06:36   #388
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 66
Re: OpenCPN Version 4.0 Released

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn View Post
The funny thing was that the position was not jumping, something we have observed with other dublicated MMSI. Behavior I would expect with a tender. So we can just speculate...

I like the "mismatch" entry on one hand as it alerts about conflicting information, but perhaps we would need a logic to discover that there are two alternating names/static messages to avoid filling up the log.

There are other candidates with somehow broken gear transmitting garbage sometimes - are always the same ships - and as the result is an accidently, random one here a simple strategy will not work.
One common method is to track the last error and count how many times in a row it's emitted, logging only occasionally (like every 10th or 100th occurrence).
__________________
fogmachine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 04:08   #389
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Pacific, currently in New Zealand
Boat: 30' racer cruiser
Posts: 21
Re: OpenCPN Version 4.0 Released

Hi there,

I got a HP Stream 8 with a built-in GPS as a backup for my new Lenovo Miix 2. It's mainly to run OpenCPN on it. I kept on trying to connect the internal GPS with OpenCPN but it wouldn't work.

Finally I found info on the web; others having the same problem. Apparently OpenCPN does not like the driver HP uses to run this particular GPS which is called ''Broadcom GNSS 4752 Geolocation Sensor.''

I tried to download the right driver for it but couldn't find one. I contacted HP tech support. They say that I have to go to the website of OpenCPN for more info. There it mentions this forum - so here I am...

Does anyone have an idea how to fix this problem?

Thanks!
__________________
goingplaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 05:55   #390
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 571
Re: OpenCPN Version 4.0 Released

Quote:
Originally Posted by goingplaces View Post
Hi there,

I got a HP Stream 8 with a built-in GPS as a backup for my new Lenovo Miix 2. It's mainly to run OpenCPN on it. I kept on trying to connect the internal GPS with OpenCPN but it wouldn't work.

Finally I found info on the web; others having the same problem. Apparently OpenCPN does not like the driver HP uses to run this particular GPS which is called ''Broadcom GNSS 4752 Geolocation Sensor.''

I tried to download the right driver for it but couldn't find one. I contacted HP tech support. They say that I have to go to the website of OpenCPN for more info. There it mentions this forum - so here I am...

Does anyone have an idea how to fix this problem?

Thanks!
http://opencpn.org/ocpn/touch_tablet

https://bitbucket.org/petrsimon/geol...ntcp/downloads
__________________

__________________
RhythmDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
enc, lease, opencpn

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OpenCPN Beta Version 3.1.814 Released bdbcat OpenCPN 185 14-09-2012 08:43
OpenCPN Beta Version 3.1.802 Released bdbcat OpenCPN 158 14-08-2012 11:07
OpenCPN Beta Version 3.1.714 Released bdbcat OpenCPN 91 01-08-2012 18:08



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:46.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.