Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 01-03-2015, 05:48   #316

Boat: Valiant 42
Re: OpenCPN Version 4.0 Released

All ENCs can be easily quilted because it just like any other chart but with an irregular boundary. An RNC skewed chart requires every pixel to be moved based on the projection which is a pain in the you know what.

My experience is that if I try using OpenCPN as in a "real" passage I find the quilting to be ok. It will go back into quilt mode upon leaving the skewed chart. Also, on a real passage moving from one chart to another is as simple as clicking the chart selection button at the bottom. It is easy to just hop around using the mouse and get some weird behavior but when actually sailing it tends to do the right thing.

Old 01-03-2015, 12:57   #317

Boat: Irwin 37 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
My experience is that if I try using OpenCPN as in a "real" passage I find the quilting to be ok. It will go back into quilt mode upon leaving the skewed chart. Also, on a real passage moving from one chart to another is as simple as clicking the chart selection button at the bottom. It is easy to just hop around using the mouse and get some weird behavior but when actually sailing it tends to do the right thing.
I agree that, when navigating, things go much smoother than when panning around. Going down the ICW, following a Route, the "chart picker" switches from skewed chart to skewed chart smoothly, when the boat is a little past mid screen.

I have come up with a rule that helps me to avoid confusion when switching between RNC and ENC chart groups.

In an area where you are using skewed charts, select a non skewed chart before changing to an ENC group. You won't lose chart quilting if you had it set.

I wouldn't be switching between RNC and ENC except I would like to use ENC on my next trip, and I'm trying to build trust in the ENC's.

Old 01-03-2015, 16:10   #318

I can't help you with trust but ENC's have much more information than RNC. If you are worried that the info in ENC charts is missing something I can tell you it is not. You may have to double click to find the information but it is all there and much more than RNC.
Old 03-03-2015, 13:31   #319

Hi, i have problem with OpenCPN 4.1.0 compiling in fresh ubuntu

After installing:
$ sudo apt-get install build-essential cmake gettext git-core gpsd
gpsd-clients libgps-dev wx-common libwxgtk2.8-dev libglu1-mesa-dev
libgtk2.0-dev wx2.8-headers libbz2-dev libtinyxml-dev
libportaudio2 portaudio19-dev

I'm tried to make:

OpenCPN/src/chart1.cpp:2255:5: error: ‘g_crashprint’ was not declared in this scope
g_crashprint.Report();
^
make[2]: *** [CMakeFiles/opencpn.dir/src/chart1.cpp.o] Error 1

cmake version 2.8.12.2
Old 03-03-2015, 13:57   #320

Boat: Dufour 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by useris View Post
Hi, i have problem with OpenCPN 4.1.0 compiling in fresh ubuntu

After installing:
$ sudo apt-get install build-essential cmake gettext git-core gpsd
gpsd-clients libgps-dev wx-common libwxgtk2.8-dev libglu1-mesa-dev
libgtk2.0-dev wx2.8-headers libbz2-dev libtinyxml-dev
libportaudio2 portaudio19-dev

I'm tried to make:

OpenCPN/src/chart1.cpp:2255:5: error: ‘g_crashprint’ was not declared in this scope
g_crashprint.Report();
^
make[2]: *** [CMakeFiles/opencpn.dir/src/chart1.cpp.o] Error 1

cmake version 2.8.12.2
You have tried to compile unsupported alpha code.
It is unusual though, and probably very temporary, that it does not compile.

To compile 4.0.0 use branch v4.0.x, or this command.
Quote:
git clone -b v4.0.x https://github.com/OpenCPN/OpenCPN.git
Thomas

PS
Error caused by two simple typos.
Old 03-03-2015, 14:06   #321

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
You have tried to compile unsupported alpha code.
It is unusual though, and probably very temporary, that it does not compile.

To compile 4.0.0 use branch v4.0.x, or this command.

Thomas
Thank you for help, it works
Old 03-03-2015, 19:35   #322

Quote:
I can't help you with trust but ENC's have much more information than RNC. If you are worried that the info in ENC charts is missing something I can tell you it is not. You may have to double click to find the information but it is all there and much more than RNC.
I just downloaded the latest ENC. Bridges now have lines drawn showing the preferred channel through the bridge (I think?) This was much less clear in the 2013 version.

Also most/all bridges have a bulls-eye showing that there is more detail about the bridge. Sometimes this bulls-eye doesn't show until you over-zoom several steps. It seems natural to click the bulls-eye; however if the bulls-eye is not in the sweet spot on the bridge (the rectangle formed by the bridge sides and the channel?) double clicking will get you an object other than the bridge.

Things were looking pretty good at the north end of the ICW, so I skipped to Ft Lauderdale, lots of bridges; but no bridge names (of the 6 I checked) So I switched over the the RNC group and....drum roll.... no bridge names here either. CM93 does have bridge names but it's old.

I do have an Intercoastal Waterway Chartbook which has all the bridge info, as does Skipper Bob's. Even cheaper, if you have an iPhone, is to down load the Garmin App, for free, and then download the Active Captain database.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ENC.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	237.1 KB
ID:	98279  
Old 04-03-2015, 07:33   #323

Bridge info is available by double clicking the center of the bridge span. The "bullseye" isn't related to where you click I think.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:08   #324

Quote:
Bridge info is available by double clicking the center of the bridge span. The "bullseye" isn't related to where you click I think.
Is the bullseye just a distraction?

The channel is not always in the center of the bridge, but it is marked.

If you have a route that intersects the bridge, it should not go through the channel; else you won't be able to double click for info. Yes you can hide the route but it causes more clicks at a critical time.

I found another nono; don't have a WP or routepoint in the bridge channel; even hidden it seems to take priority over bridge data.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:53   #325

In my NOAA ENC charts for my local area, I can click anywhere along the whole length of a bridge to get its information.

The Chesapeake Bay Bridge is slightly different, because you need to click in one of the four trestle sections to get hor/vert clearance data specific to those sections. If you click other parts of the bridge, you just get generic information (bridge name).

But in both cases, there's plenty of available space to click on even with a route or waypoint present in the channel. Sometimes you might have to zoom in a little for precise clicking.

I do not see any bullseyes at these bridges.
Old 04-03-2015, 09:32   #326

You can also right click and select the action desired from the popup menu.
Old 04-03-2015, 09:45   #327

Quote:
You can also right click and select the action desired from the popup menu.
When I wrote "click" I meant the whole range of actions including double-click (default properties comes up), right-click (context menu), tap-hold (on a tablet), etc. My key point was that the clickable area on my charts is larger than some have said. I suspect this can be different on different charts.
Old 04-03-2015, 12:31   #328

The ICWW is my test case for switching to ENC.

There appears to be some inconsistencies in bridge data in different areas.

I'm most interested in opening bridges as my mast is less than 65'.

So far, it seems to me that opening bridges have 2 data areas; the important one being the opening area. You must double click this area to get the bridge name(except S FL) the bridge type and the opened clearance (if applicable). If you double click on either side of the opening you will get fixed bridge information.

Where the bridges are very short (like most of Florida where, I'm guessing, a short bridge might be 20 car lengths and the opening 2-3 car lengths) with a route you must zoom way in, in order double click the bridge data. Right clicking doesn't help you still have to miss the route area.

As viewed from my armchair, I believe that for the ICWW:

1. ENC's are usable (probably desirable if for no other reason than a better course up display. They are also said to be updated before RNC's) They do, however, require more operator interaction. This is meaningful to single-handers and nervous skippers.

2. Whether you use ENC or RNC charts, to safely and efficiently travel the ICWW, you will need additional information like Skipper Bobs(paper) or ActiveCaptain (electronic).
Old 04-03-2015, 14:01   #329

I think in a "real life" transit of the ICWW it would be advisable to work out bridge clearance issues before setting out. It isn't good practice to come up on a bridge and then start hunting for the clearance on a computer. Cruisers should know long before they get to a bridge whether they can clear it or not. It is possible to have the open and closed clearance visible without having to click anything.

ENC (and RNC) charts are just that. They aren't cruising guides. But cruising guides aren't a substitute for up to date charts either. Both have their purpose.
Old 08-03-2015, 17:18   #330

I'm not sure what happens to dumps any more. I thought that they asked for permission before being sent to development. Right now they are not asking for permission so I don't know if you are recieving them. I had several today, but they were created by an unusual situation.
1. I had a file of way points that I used in making a set of routes. Originally I used RNC's but decided to go back and look at the routes using ENC charts. There were some differences which I corrected in the routes but not in the way point file.
2. Now I have a situation where ICWab081 is different in the route than it is in the Mark file. If you load the route first and then the WP's you end up with two wp with the same name, one in the route and one not.
3. if you load the WP first and then the route you lose the correction that you made to the route. So
4. I loaded the Route and then the WP files. I then looked for duplicates. When I found a duplicate I would use center view in route manager to jump to the spot and delete the extra WP. The might have 30+ of these duplicates. I seems that after doing 5 (or so) deletes and center views I would get an abort. I was saving the gpx about every third edit.

I now have my files cleaned up and will not being doing this again, so this is not a problem for me. After this exercise I'm questioning the keeping of WP and routes separate. At a minimum I will not move a route WP from another file. I will remove that WP and insert a route point.

Any collective wisdom on this problem?

Tags
enc, lease, opencpn

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: