Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2015, 14:05   #286

Location: Behind the garlic curtain - east central Saskatchewan
Boat: Baylurker 2755
Re: OpenCPN Version 4.0 Released

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
Bob...
Unfortunately in the logfile you posted there is nothing that suggests that you were running with OpenGL working.
What graphics adapter does the machine have? Did you check if there is an update for the graphics drivers available?

Pavel
That's exactly what I thought when I looked at the log but when we left the dock in Comox on the morning of the 7th I checked the wrench thingie to confirm that OGL was running. It was and the sluggish performance I referred to earlier was improved - it wasn't perfect IMHO but it was significantly better than it had been. Then about halfway across the Comox bar in a nasty chop the screen went blank which caused some immediate concern but fortunately it came back almost immediately. However, the performance at that point reverted to its previous sluggish level.

Presumably it is an NVIDIA graphics card and I found an updated driver for it last night. We're anchored for a few days now but we'll see what happens when we move again. The system is an HP Envy 23 touch screen all in one. I guess I could run it at anchor but I'm a power miser so I don't like doing that and we're in the middle of a pineapple express so we're not getting much solar assistance right now.

Thanks for your interest.
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 17:49   #287

Boat: EX prawn trawler 14m

HI
When trying to connect a serial port and none is available the screen shot attached shows.

If you close with the red X "O" returns to the window showing underneath.

But if I click the close button on the window underneath, well "O" shuts down.
Ubuntu 14.10 64 bit
Redog
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2015-02-10 11:40:02.png
Views:	172
Size:	235.4 KB
ID:	96917  
redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 11:22   #288

Boat: Irwin 37 CC

Depth units are set to feet.

On the Elizabeth River Just south of Portsmouth VA is the North and PBL Railroad Bridge. Do an object query on the bridge and you will see that VERCCL and VERCOP units are in meters. On the chart vertical clearance is displayed in feet and vertical open clearance is displayed in meters.

Bridges that use VERCLR and HORCLR are displayed properly.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bridge.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	259.4 KB
ID:	96931  
Old 10-02-2015, 15:36   #289

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdkester View Post
Depth units are set to feet.

On the Elizabeth River Just south of Portsmouth VA is the North and PBL Railroad Bridge. Do an object query on the bridge and you will see that VERCCL and VERCOP units are in meters. On the chart vertical clearance is displayed in feet and vertical open clearance is displayed in meters.

Bridges that use VERCLR and HORCLR are displayed properly.
I looked through the code and found what I think is causing this. I have reported it to the Flyspray tracker. I patched my build and this is what I see now.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bridgeclearance.png
Views:	165
Size:	147.8 KB
ID:	96968  
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 18:41   #290

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
I looked through the code and found what I think is causing this. I have reported it to the Flyspray tracker. I patched my build and this is what I see now.
Thanks Transmitterdan,
I can't see from your screen shot; but I'm assuming that on the chart the OPen height is in feet as well.
Old 10-02-2015, 18:58   #291

Quote:
Thanks Transmitterdan,
I can't see from your screen shot; but I'm assuming that on the chart the OPen height is in feet as well.
According to IHO S-57 / ENC - Object and Attribute Catalogue the VERCOP (141.7 ft) is the vertical clearance when open. VERCCL (5.9 ft) is the vertical clearance when closed. The dialog box shows both numbers.
Old 11-02-2015, 14:06   #292

Quote:
According to IHO S-57 / ENC - Object and Attribute Catalogue the VERCOP (141.7 ft) is the vertical clearance when open. VERCCL (5.9 ft) is the vertical clearance when closed. The dialog box shows both numbers.
What I meant was; "is VERCOP displayed in feet on the chart itself". I can see that the dialog box is now in feet.

Thanks for your help
Old 12-02-2015, 09:02   #293

Quote:
What I meant was; "is VERCOP displayed in feet on the chart itself". I can see that the dialog box is now in feet.

Thanks for your help
No, VERCCL is shown only and it is in ft. I think that was intended as that would be the worst case.
Old 12-02-2015, 09:49   #294

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Am I trying to compile the correct branch? It fails for Windows.

Code:
 git branch -va
* master                              53023ee Remove the erroneously added file
  soundings                           94bc952 Add .KAP chart datum aliases for some commonly seen legacy charts.
  remotes/origin/HEAD                 -> origin/master
  remotes/origin/beta30_stable        e48b97d 3.0.2
  remotes/origin/beta31_stable        2532d4d Merge branch 'master' into beta31_stable
  remotes/origin/master               8b3718e Merge branch 'master' of github.com:OpenCPN/OpenCPN
  remotes/origin/region               571f037 Correct namespace collisions on __WXGTK__ build
  remotes/origin/release32_stable     0c4bcc9 3.2.2
  remotes/origin/service_release321   0c4bcc9 3.2.2
  remotes/origin/stable               e48b97d 3.0.2
  remotes/origin/wxqt                 8d05fb2 Add missing cmake script for cross-platform Android build.
  remotes/upstream/beta30_stable      e48b97d 3.0.2
  remotes/upstream/beta31_stable      2532d4d Merge branch 'master' into beta31_stable
  remotes/upstream/master             53023ee Remove the erroneously added file
  remotes/upstream/region             571f037 Correct namespace collisions on __WXGTK__ build
  remotes/upstream/release32_stable   0c4bcc9 3.2.2
  remotes/upstream/service_release321 0c4bcc9 3.2.2
  remotes/upstream/stable             e48b97d 3.0.2
  remotes/upstream/v4.0.x             f15ab56 Merge pull request #241 from nohal/invisible
  remotes/upstream/wxqt               8d05fb2 Add missing cmake script for cross-platform Android build.

Build FAILED.

"C:\Users\Rick\Documents\GitHub\OpenCPN\build\ALL_BUILD.vcxproj" (default target) (1) ->
"C:\Users\Rick\Documents\GitHub\OpenCPN\build\plugins\dashboard_pi\dashboard_pi.vcxproj"  (default target) (8) ->  "C:\Users\Rick\Documents\GitHub\OpenCPN\build\opencpn.vcxproj" (default  target) (10) ->
(ClCompile target) ->
  ..\src\ais.cpp(608): warning C4091: '' : ignored on left of 'int' when  no variable is declared  [C:\Users\Rick\Documents\GitHub\OpenCPN\build\opencpn.vcxproj]
  ..\src\ais.cpp(609): warning C4091: '' : ignored on left of 'int' when  no variable is declared  [C:\Users\Rick\Documents\GitHub\OpenCPN\build\opencpn.vcxproj]
  ..\src\ais.cpp(610): warning C4091: '' : ignored on left of 'int' when  no variable is declared  [C:\Users\Rick\Documents\GitHub\OpenCPN\build\opencpn.vcxproj]
  c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC\include\math.h(632): warning C4005: 'M_PI' : macro redefinition 
[C:\Users\Rick\Documents\GitHub\OpenCPN\build\opencpn.vcxproj]

"C:\Users\Rick\Documents\GitHub\OpenCPN\build\ALL_BUILD.vcxproj" (default target) (1) ->
"C:\Users\Rick\Documents\GitHub\OpenCPN\build\plugins\dashboard_pi\dashboard_pi.vcxproj" (default target) (8) ->
"C:\Users\Rick\Documents\GitHub\OpenCPN\build\opencpn.vcxproj" (default target)(10) ->
(ClCompile target) ->
  ..\src\ais.cpp(608): error C2143: syntax error : missing ';' before  'constant'   [C:\Users\Rick\Documents\GitHub\OpenCPN\build\opencpn.vcxproj]
  ..\src\ais.cpp(608): error C2106: '=' : left operand must be l-value  [C:\Users\Rick\Documents\GitHub\OpenCPN\build\opencpn.vcxproj]
  ..\src\ais.cpp(609): error C2143: syntax error : missing ';' before 'constant'  [C:\Users\Rick\Documents\GitHub\OpenCPN\build\opencpn.vcxproj]
  ..\src\ais.cpp(609): error C2106: '=' : left operand must be l-value  [C:\Users\Rick\Documents\GitHub\OpenCPN\build\opencpn.vcxproj]
  ..\src\ais.cpp(610): error C2143: syntax error : missing ';' before  'constant'  [C:\Users\Rick\Documents\GitHub\OpenCPN\build\opencpn.vcxproj]
  ..\src\ais.cpp(610): error C2106: '=' : left operand must be l-value  [C:\Users\Rick\Documents\GitHub\OpenCPN\build\opencpn.vcxproj]
    4 Warning(s)
    6 Error(s)
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 18:50   #295

Quote:

Thanks for your help
If "De-cluttered text" is turned off then VERCOP is shown in ft.
Old 13-02-2015, 06:51   #296

Quote:
No, VERCCL is shown only and it is in ft. I think that was intended as that would be the worst case.
VERCOP was originally shown as "clr op 43.2"; but it was in meters. Some (many?) lift bridges do not lift to 90 deg and therefor some boats might have clearance problems.

VERCOP should be displayed.
Old 16-02-2015, 03:16   #297

Quote:
VERCOP was originally shown as "clr op 43.2"; but it was in meters. Some (many?) lift bridges do not lift to 90 deg and therefor some boats might have clearance problems.

VERCOP should be displayed.

Is does display in feet after I changed my local code. "clr op" is displayed in ft. on my system if decluttered text is turned off. I have given the patch to flyspray.
Old 17-02-2015, 13:16   #298

..\GitHub\OpenCPN>git branch -v
* master 01a9230 [behind 2] Updated to remove negative and >360 COG's
soundings 94bc952 Add .KAP chart datum aliases for some commonly seen legacy c
harts.

Code:
Build FAILED.

"C:\Users\Rick\Documents\GitHub\OpenCPN\build\ALL_BUILD.vcxproj" (default ta
) (1) ->
"C:\Users\Rick\Documents\GitHub\OpenCPN\build\plugins\dashboard_pi\dashboard
vcxproj" (default target) (8) ->
"C:\Users\Rick\Documents\GitHub\OpenCPN\build\opencpn.vcxproj" (default targ
(10) ->
(ClCompile target) ->
  ..\src\ais.cpp(608): warning C4091: '' : ignored on left of 'int' when no
able is declared [C:\Users\Rick\Documents\GitHub\OpenCPN\build\opencpn.vcxpr
  ..\src\ais.cpp(610): warning C4091: '' : ignored on left of 'int' when no
  ..\src\ais.cpp(611): warning C4091: '' : ignored on left of 'int' when no

"C:\Users\Rick\Documents\GitHub\OpenCPN\build\ALL_BUILD.vcxproj" (default ta
) (1) ->
"C:\Users\Rick\Documents\GitHub\OpenCPN\build\plugins\dashboard_pi\dashboard
"C:\Users\Rick\Documents\GitHub\OpenCPN\build\opencpn.vcxproj" (default targ
(10) ->
(ClCompile target) ->
  ..\src\ais.cpp(608): error C2143: syntax error : missing ';' before 'const
  ..\src\ais.cpp(608): error C2106: '=' : left operand must be l-value [C:\U
\Rick\Documents\GitHub\OpenCPN\build\opencpn.vcxproj]
  ..\src\ais.cpp(610): error C2143: syntax error : missing ';' before 'const
  ..\src\ais.cpp(610): error C2106: '=' : left operand must be l-value [C:\U
  ..\src\ais.cpp(611): error C2143: syntax error : missing ';' before 'const
  ..\src\ais.cpp(611): error C2106: '=' : left operand must be l-value [C:\U

3 Warning(s)
    6 Error(s)

Time Elapsed 00:00:04.84

C:\Users\Rick\Documents\GitHub\OpenCPN\build>cpack
CPack: Create package using NSIS
CPack: Install projects
CPack: - Install project: opencpn
Old 17-02-2015, 13:17   #299

..\GitHub\OpenCPN>git branch -v
* master 87902a7 Refactor chcanv.cpp to isolate class ViewPort.
soundings 94bc952 Add .KAP chart datum aliases for some commonly seen legac harts.

Code:
Build FAILED.

"C:\Users\Rick\Documents\GitHub\OpenCPN\build\ALL_BUILD.vcxproj" (default target
) (1) ->
"C:\Users\Rick\Documents\GitHub\OpenCPN\build\plugins\dashboard_pi\dashboard_pi.
"C:\Users\Rick\Documents\GitHub\OpenCPN\build\opencpn.vcxproj" (default target)
(10) ->
(ClCompile target) ->
  c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC\include\math.h(632): wa
rning C4005: 'M_PI' : macro redefinition [C:\Users\Rick\Documents\GitHub\OpenCPN
\build\opencpn.vcxproj]
  ..\src\ais.cpp(608): warning C4091: '' : ignored on left of 'int' when no vari
able is declared [C:\Users\Rick\Documents\GitHub\OpenCPN\build\opencpn.vcxproj]
  ..\src\ais.cpp(610): warning C4091: '' : ignored on left of 'int' when no vari
  ..\src\ais.cpp(611): warning C4091: '' : ignored on left of 'int' when no vari
  c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC\include\math.h(632): wa
rning C4005: 'M_PI' : macro redefinition [C:\Users\Rick\Documents\GitHub\OpenCPN
\build\opencpn.vcxproj]

"C:\Users\Rick\Documents\GitHub\OpenCPN\build\ALL_BUILD.vcxproj" (default target
) (1) ->
"C:\Users\Rick\Documents\GitHub\OpenCPN\build\plugins\dashboard_pi\dashboard_pi.
"C:\Users\Rick\Documents\GitHub\OpenCPN\build\opencpn.vcxproj" (default target)
(10) ->
(ClCompile target) ->
  ..\src\ais.cpp(608): error C2143: syntax error : missing ';' before 'constant'
  ..\src\ais.cpp(608): error C2106: '=' : left operand must be l-value [C:\Users
  ..\src\ais.cpp(610): error C2143: syntax error : missing ';' before 'constant'
  ..\src\ais.cpp(610): error C2106: '=' : left operand must be l-value [C:\Users
  ..\src\ais.cpp(611): error C2143: syntax error : missing ';' before 'constant'
  ..\src\ais.cpp(611): error C2106: '=' : left operand must be l-value [C:\Users

5 Warning(s)
    6 Error(s)
Old 18-02-2015, 16:25   #300

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

I just got around to checking out 4.0 - and no go for my Snow Leopard Mac, as was commented upon early in the thread but then dropped. So let me restart, and perhaps move things a bit.

Snow Leopard (10.6.x) is the Mac equivalent of Win XP: it is clean, reliable, and just works well, so there is reluctance to leave it (about 20% of OS X installs IIRC). Lion (10.7.x) is the equivalent of Win Vista: it is half-baked and problematic - something to avoid. I believe Mountain Lion (10.8.x) is like Win7 in that it fixes the Lion issues and represents a good alternative.

Microsoft makes a lot of money from OS upgrades, so it is in their interest to offer updates if the hardware is powerful enough to handle it. Apple makes their money selling hardware so it is in their interest to NOT offer OS upgrades any longer than necessary, as a way to obsolete and force hardware purchases. So it is with my Core 2 Duo (64 bit) MacBook Pro - they chose not to support it with Mountain Lion, and I choose not to deal with the Lion mess, so like so many others I am using Snow Leopard (in spite of Apple's unwillingness to provide security updates, or OS upgrades to ML or above). In contrast, many Windows XP machines can be upgraded to Win7. This may not be a problem for many Mac fanbois, but there are a lot of us out there that think spending thousands on Apple's overpriced gear because they chose to pull support is absurd. YMMV.

So, I would like to see OCPN support Snow Leopard. I have built it in the past on this machine (the older carbon version of wx), and would be willing to give it a try again with cocoa. It is a bit of a struggle for me, so before I spend much time I would like to know if there are any changes to the program which would be known to be a problem (i.e. please help me avoid wasting time chasing a dead end). SL runs both 32 bit and 64 bit applications, so it is possible to build a "universal" 32/64 Intel binary - is there any reason to think that a 32-bit build is a problem (i.e. should I just stick to 64)?

Usually with OS X, binaries for older OS versions can be built by installing the appropriate SDK and selecting that as a target. Have the developers doing the Mac version tried the 10.6 SDK, or is it just an unknown at this point? Once the project is in Xcode it is pretty easy to change the target OS, and the SDK is readily available. Apple doesn't include SDKs for older OS versions, again as a way to force obsolescence, but they are available on the Apple Developer's website.

Any helpful comments appreciated...

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, lease, opencpn