Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2012, 05:16   #16

Boat: Journeyman
Re: OpenCPN Version 3.2 Planning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrahl View Post
I would like the status bar to be adjustable in size (font size) as it is very small on my 9 inch screen.
That was so simple I went ahead and did it straight away
The program will still do a bit of scaling with the window size, but you can now influence the overall size and the font used.

https://github.com/JesperWe/OpenCPN/...20007432a7fbb5

(Warning: 3.1 development branch, lots of changes from 3.0.0)
JesperWe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2012, 05:55   #17

Boat: Dufour 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilletarom View Post
hello dave,

I talk of this information for raster maps, the French coast, the SHOM is now selling.
A software publisher sell them in France for 99 euros, the pack, cutting off the coast of France in three parts: neck, Atla, and ntique Méditérrannée.

These cards are certainly encrypted.

It would be nice if these maps could be displayed by OpenCPN.
It would probably negotiate with the SHOM and implement a plug-in.

BB.R.

Gilletarom.

Do you have a link to these new charts?

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2012, 06:13   #18

Boat: Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySeagull View Post
this has been mentioned before by others. It's growing on me.... if I could just see a route's total miles in the (very nice) "cursor-hover-clip"-as it is now, I only see the leg's length and must needs to open the screen- covering properties dialogue to see the sum length.... so many clicks to in there and out again!
This is something I have been missing many many times but never got around to. Very simple.

https://github.com/JesperWe/OpenCPN/...ef190ffa01b847
JesperWe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2012, 06:49   #19

My suggestions relate to the way I use the opencpn in my 28' sailboat: mainly for planning, uploading routes and waypoints to a gps that I use on the cockpit during navigation.

1) printing of route info. I print a list of route waypoints, reporting points, bearing, distance, etc., and put in a plastic document holder. The current route menu does not have a printing feature. Exporting to openoffice/csv would be grand.

2) Allowing the marking of some (ctrl-click, shift-click) or all waypoints when exporting to a gps.

3) web page publishing/export of the dashboard info. With any cell phone with wifi we could check the data from a bunk, for example. It could work with apache (linux) if a file is created, or an ad-hoc mini http server could be developed (for windows).

4) The measuring tool could be remapped to be used in piloting, if the bearings/distance labels and lines stay on after every click.

5) The idea of custom icons could lead to icons that are compatible to the ones used in gps devices.

6) I support the idea of fewer clicks access to properties of waypoints, route segments.

7) It would be nice to have pop-up data on track points. Right now I have to open the track properties and do a kind of binary search to get to the one I care.

You guys are doing a great job!
dpons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2012, 07:15   #20

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bewitched View Post
My wishlist:

2. Option to display vector line showing opposite tack/gybe angle from vessel
YES!

With the angle customizable, so that the function can be used either up or downwind.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2012, 07:36   #21

Boat: Dufour 35

I would like to see the support for AIS SART extended into an automatic MOB warning and tracking device.
* Treat all on board personal SART's as special cases, by registering their MMSI numers in O.
*When one of these numbers starts to transmit (man over board), sound an alarm and create an automatic route to the SART.
* Use the AIS SART test facility to test this in O

This naturally leads to an other feature I would like to see (hear!!)
* I would like to be able to specify different sounds for AIS proximity alarm, anchor alarm and the suggested SART alarm.

With this system in place you could also keep an "eye" on a buddy boat, by entering their MMSI number. I'm sure there will be other applications as well.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2012, 07:59   #22

Location: Behind the garlic curtain - east central Saskatchewan
Boat: Baylurker 2755

This is a small quibble but it is extremely annoying when it occurs. If I have a route that happens to fall close to a current icon I am often unable to right click the current icon to see the extended current information. In that situation there is often no alternative to relocating the route in order to get access to the current information. In the situations where there are multiple possible intents for a right click it would be helpful if a query box gave me the choice between which icon I was trying to right click. The present situation seems to be to default to the route information box which is not always the correct choice.
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2012, 09:01   #23

Boat: 29'

bobothenorth, I note and agree with this annoyance too...zooming in a lot is my only fix ,hoping a route or mark is not exactly on the arrow.... but if we look down in SanFrancisco Bay (or the like), it'd be even more annoying there because it'd be almost Impossible in these sorts of places to draw a route without tangling with a current arrow....
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2012, 09:43   #24

Hello and thank you for developing such an excellent piece of software.

What I would wish for: that when pointing at a route the right click menu would allow for inserting an existing waypoint into the route rather than being limited to inserting a newly created waypoint.

This feature exists in other software e.g. mapsource, and I have always found it useful to build a new route first only sketching it and then refining it using existing waypoints.

Thank you again !

Antoine
tonioinparis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2012, 09:57   #25

but..(external software). if there is already a non-bloated (free!?) way to do some of the things requested here, maybe it's better for O to just make friends with these other Brains and link to them on the OpenCPN download page... the "Ports" and such are still really an Operating System task and not O's at all. Perhaps a "start external software"- a "Send To" is the way2go.
..Further, (as a present example) opening a waypoint link needs a browser, image viewer, or pdf reader.
Pavel's waypoint link has the facility to send these elsewhere- d'you see? I think this is the way to go for thing that aren't directly involved with navigation and the graphics of "seeing" that navigation.. O doesn't need an icon-editor included and there are already LOTS of good gpx tools out there....a mark,route,track in the Route Manager could have a similar "Send to" external software feature....
Old 17-06-2012, 10:23   #26

...ability to remove icons from the toolbar? the zoom buttons-never use em. Or the changeChart scale buttons either.
and whine--those green arrows on the screen edges? remind me what they do and why I need em?
Old 17-06-2012, 12:48   #27

Boat: Prout G55

Hi Dave,

I would like a change to the chart type selector, to a vertical list, enabling multiple selection, layer ordering/sorting, and transparency setting.

thanks
Keith
globalkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2012, 12:53   #28

Boat: Prout G55

And implement rollover tool tip for all chart elements showing summary description - similar to browser alt-tag.
globalkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2012, 12:54   #29

It's been touched on a bunch of others but I'd like to add my vote for a revamped route dashboard better suited to longer passages.

Date and time for ETA

settable XTE limits for the graphic with alarms. Ideally I'd like this to be either settable on a leg by leg basis in the route properties or globally for the whole route. Added bonus would be individually settable port and starboard e.g. for when a leg parallels a hazard.

The tack/gybe marks as mentioned by somebody above.. the angles could be settable or just show course on the opposite tack/gybe based on the present inputs if available.

Chris
Littlechay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2012, 17:34   #30

Boat: Swan 56

Option to display vector line showing opposite tack/gybe angle from vessel

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
YES!

With the angle customizable, so that the function can be used either up or downwind.
I envisaged that the angle would be derived from realtime data coming in from the boat instruments. This calc is already made by most instrument packages - from personal experience this is definitely the case with B&G, Nexus & Raymarine
bewitched is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
opencpn