Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2013, 14:36   #61

Boat: Valiant Esprit 37
Re: OpenCPN and S63 encrypted vector charts

Thanks cagney!!

I searched the forum looking for posts on S63 but there were so many that I never made my way to those 2 posts.

I had already considered that it might have to be implemented through a plugin by a for profit entity with assurances of confidentiality, but also felt reasonably confident that an interface that was not open, could be developed.

I would guess that it would be in Chartworld's best interest to try and tap the ever growing users of OpenCPN as a revenue stream. Perhaps they might be the one's who should consider developing the plugin, working with OpenCPN to implement the plugin.

Do you have any idea if anyone has ever approached Chartworld directly and asked about that possibility? It seems even if implemented in this scenario, OpenCPN might still be able to be credited with any commissions on sales of charts through the program.

In any event, I was glad that I found Polar Navy and now have access to those charts as a backup to CM93. It would be nice if I could have it "all" in one program, but after using Polar Navy for a few days, I've discovered I can quickly and easily, been able to move routes created in Polar Navy to OpenCPN giving me the ability to look at multiple chart types at the same time.

Thanks again for the response!!
reflectionsv37 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
opencpn